Game Thread: USA vs Belgium - Altidore Cleared!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hate to say it, but we looked like a different team at the end, when we were forced to open it up. Of course, Belgium had bunkered down to some degree...

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Earle, since these are pros (11 of 'em from the Premiership alone for Belgium!), hope it's permitted to critique the US without getting whacked. And have to think Mr Bradley in the midfield played up to his lookalike, Casper the Friendly Ghost, throughout the tournament with a disappearing act for the ages. Otherwise, US exceeded every expectation and very much belonged in being there.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
Proud of the team,out in the round of 16 for the second straight world cup.I consider it a success since we advanced from the group of death though.Hopefully Klinsmann sticks around.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Our players have nothing to be ashamed of - they played their guts out.

The better team prevailed if only by the shots-on-goal differential.

There's always next year!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, since these are pros (11 of 'em from the Premiership alone for Belgium!), hope it's permitted to critique the US without getting whacked. And have to think Mr Bradley in the midfield played up to his lookalike, Casper the Friendly Ghost, throughout the tournament with a disappearing act for the ages. Otherwise, US exceeded every expectation and very much belonged in being there.
We don't have a rule forbidding criticism of players, per se - just harsh and improper criticism. Your post doesn't violate that, and FWIW, I agree...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
There's always next year!
Correction: There's always the next quadrennial...four years away in Mother Russia.

I have hope, faint though it may be, that North America's MLS teams can get into an "Americas Cup" - like the UEFA Champions League - competing against the best club sides in Central and South America, which inevitably would continue improving our native brand of futbol.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Proud of this team - they had a chance just before time expired to win this. Just wasn't their day to win it, but they left it on the field and looked decent enough in doing so.

I'll say this - the US team as a whole lacks the footwork and ball control that the better teams in the World Cup have - in every game I saw many bad passes, consistent bad timing, etc. We probably just don't have the foundation in place as a country to have premier players across the board on a team.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Proud of this team - they had a chance just before time expired to win this. Just wasn't their day to win it, but they left it on the field and looked decent enough in doing so.

I'll say this - the US team as a whole lacks the footwork and ball control that the better teams in the World Cup have - in every game I saw many bad passes, consistent bad timing, etc. We probably just don't have the foundation in place as a country to have premier players across the board on a team.
Good point. Only a few of the players play at the highest international level, although I think Howard will be returning to MU after this... :)

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
LOsing Altidore was a killer, and I think Dempsey was undoubtedly hampered by getting a broken nose in the first game.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.