Good article about Elisha Shaw

Whirleybird

Scout Team
Oct 23, 2004
In addition to the winning ways of the Alabama program it is stories like this that make me proud to be a supporter of our team. Our coach has a very compassionate and human side regardless of what you see in news conferences.

I remember a TCU player who was paralyzed during a game with us during the Bryant era. The player said everyone forgot about him except Bryant who called him for the rest of his life. If I remember correctly the player's children were also offered to attend Alabama on the Bryant scholarship.

"You can tell when someone has class...from a mile away."

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I remember a TCU player who was paralyzed during a game with us during the Bryant era. The player said everyone forgot about him except Bryant who called him for the rest of his life. If I remember correctly the player's children were also offered to attend Alabama on the Bryant scholarship.
That was Kent Waldrep, and you are correct.

A link to article, by local our local Finebaum (not known for being fond of us):

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/15/4940610/kent-waldrep-gets-new-wheels-with.html

RTR!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CNS discussed this with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. Link

“We’ve always done this kind of stuff for our players,” Alabama coach Nick Saban told the AJC on Monday. “We’ve had players that had Hodgkin’s disease and couldn’t play. We had a guy last year who … couldn’t pass his physical and is still going to school here. So whenever it’s allowed by NCAA rules, we always try to do the best we can for the player.

“Elisha Shaw was committed to us for a long time. We thought he was a good player. Certainly, it wasn’t his fault that he got hurt. We’re all about trying to create opportunities for guys, and give them opportunities. Elisha was a guy, since he was committed to us, we wanted to see if there was anything we could do to give him the opportunity to get education here even though he was medically disqualified to play.

“We were really just trying to take care of our own.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.