Link: Big Mouth Spurrier carries it a bit further...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Ya'll probably gonna call me crazy, (which you think that anyway! ;) ), but the old ball coach must think he has a real good contending team this coming season! Back when he was at Florida he always picked at Tennessee because he knew they were his main challenge. Now he is picking at Bama because the rest of the East looks real beatable to him!

I think he has a tendency to dwell on who he thinks will be his biggest challenge for the SEC championship, and that would be hands down Bama if history is any kind of trend. He has tipped his hand on who he thinks he has to beat and is back to old games! Coach Saban is not Phil Fuller so I think his head games will prove to be headless! ;)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Actually he did in 2010.

I still think he should "zip it" with regards to other head coaches.

Poor form by someone who is otherwise highly regarded as a college football coach.

Bring on football!
I totally agree. I've always wondered why this idiot is given a free pass by the media. These guys have all won championships but you never heard/hear of Bobby Bowden, Coach Bryant, Tom Osbourne or Coach Saban running their jibs like this guy does. He's completely without class and he doesn't amuse me a bit. Ok, he is rarely funny though when he jabs at UGA but that's it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Gene Chizik has more unbeaten seasons than Steve Spurrier.

Hell, Gene's got as many national titles AND Heisman winners as Spurrier.

Since the day they won that national title in January 1997, Steve Spurrier has as many SEC titles as Mike DuBose, as many as Gene Chizik, half as many as Mark Richt.

Terry Bowden has more unbeaten seasons than Spurrier, and he only coached Auburn for 5.5 years.

It should be noted that while Spurrier's record looks impressive, most of it was confined to a brief period that overlapped the Danny Wuerrfel era in Gainesville. Steve blasted a lot of teams, but he also got mauled by teams he was supposed to beat.

1990 - Tennessee 45 Florida 3
1992 - Miss St 30 Florida 6
1994 - Florida St 31 Florida 31 (Gators led 31-3 with 12 min left)
1995 - Nebraska 62 Florida 24
1997 - Georgia 37 Florida 17
1999 - Alabama 34 Florida 7
2000 - Miss St 47 Florida 35 (game wasn't near that close)

And in 1998, his Gator team was WAY better than us and yet we should have beaten them. Spurrier's golden era at Florida coincides with the uproar in Tennessee (Phil Fulmer patting Johnny Majors on the back so he could mark the spot to stick the knife), a joke of an Eastern division as UGA was also imploding, a joke out-of-conference schedule outside of the annual brawl with Florida State, and a 6-5 bowl record.

Spurrier won four straight SEC titles, which just happened to be the four years Wuerffel was the starting QB. Put the rest of his tenure together outside of that and how many did he win? 1991 and 2000. Yes, I know Wuerffel was injured and Terry Dean finished the 1993 season despite being in Spurrier's dog house, but the fact remains that Spurrier never did all that much outside of that one well-recruited group of players that included Fred Taylor, Reidel Anthony, and Jacquez Green.

Spurrier blew big game after big game after big game. In 1994, he had a shot at the national title as he led Florida State, 31-3. Beat them, beat Alabama, win a bowl game and hope.

So of course, they let FSU tie it with four TDs in less than 12 minutes, shoulda lost to Alabama, and then lost to FSU in the rematch.

In 1995, they played for it all - they not only got beat, they got waxed. Wanna make 2012 Notre Dame look good against Alabama? Simply watch this game and you'll be convinced the Irish nearly won.

In 1996, all they needed to do was beat FSU to hold onto number one. Naturally, they lost. Naturally, Spurrier whined about late hits on Wuerffel. He won the title by routing FSU in a rematch - but only after Ohio State had knocked ASU off and given Florida clear sailing.

In 1997, they started at two, moved up to one......then somehow lost to LSU and then got blown out by UGA.

In 1999, they were in the top four and blew the game in the Swamp to Alabama. Just to show that wasn't a one-hit wonder, they really blew the SECCG the second time ("And Milons gets the corner....and he's gonna have a touchdown!")

In 2000, they lost to a Miss St team that had just been upset by South Carolina on a fourth down bomb for a TD.

In 2001, all they had to do to play for the title was beat the rescheduled Vols game (due to 9/11) and the SEC title game. Naturally, they somehow lost to Tennessee.

In big games, they never came through except when they had help elsewhere (1996).

Spurrier's Florida team was a bunch of bullies that - if you could survive the initial onslaught (a la the old Nebraska and OU wishbone teams of the 70s and 80s) - you could beat them. They had no plan B. Spurrier's entire offense was, "Ok Danny, send everybody deep and throw it and hope we come down with it." This is why I think he's not that great a coach, he's a great offensive coordinator.

Or maybe not, since he can't adjust. Hell, Terry Bowden with a team on probation and full of Pat Dye-recruited thugs beat Spurrier TWICE IN A ROW in his first two years.
Count me among those who believe that the bulk of his success in the "fun and gun" was built on illegal crossing pick plays...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You can make anyone look bad with, you know, statistics.

I don't know how you can argue that Spurrier wouldn't be on the SEC Mt. Rushmore.
It depends - how many are you willing to include? What's the time period we're including?

For example, I'd think winning national championships would be one of the foremost indicators, in which case Alabama alone would take the entire mountain over SOS (Wade, Thomas, Bryant and Saban each won at least 2x as many National Championships as Spurrier). Vaught won three at OM, Neyland four at UT - are we really going to include Spurrier over Vaught, Neyland, Saban and Bryant?

I mean, Spurrier is a great coach, but how many faces are you expecting to see on this SEC Mt Rushmore?

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
It depends - how many are you willing to include? What's the time period we're including?

For example, I'd think winning national championships would be one of the foremost indicators, in which case Alabama alone would take the entire mountain over SOS (Wade, Thomas, Bryant and Saban each won at least 2x as many National Championships as Spurrier). Vaught won three at OM, Neyland four at UT - are we really going to include Spurrier over Vaught, Neyland, Saban and Bryant?

I mean, Spurrier is a great coach, but how many faces are you expecting to see on this SEC Mt Rushmore?
I'd put Spurrier over Vaught and keep the other 3. Vaught doesn't have 3 national titles by the way.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You're using Auburn logic there. None of those are AP or Coaches poll titles.
The school recognizes them, so I do, too.

Not all of Alabama's are AP or coaches poll titles, so I guess Bama is using 'Auburn logic', too...

Vaught was a legendary coach. Not sure SOS qualifies, but that's just me.

Regardless, I'm done debating this tangent, though it might make an interesting thread. Glad you brought it up.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I totally agree. I've always wondered why this idiot is given a free pass by the media. These guys have all won championships but you never heard/hear of Bobby Bowden, Coach Bryant, Tom Osbourne or Coach Saban running their jibs like this guy does. He's completely without class and he doesn't amuse me a bit. Ok, he is rarely funny though when he jabs at UGA but that's it.
The media loves him because he picks on the establishment. The media really has never liked Alabama since the 70s and Coach Bryant (not sure how much they "liked" us then). But they surely hate us now, and they don't like Nick Saban. So, anything Spurrier or anyone says that's mocking us or Coach Saban, they are going to eat it up.

They see Spurrier as someone who is not afraid to speak his mind and they find that refreshing amongst all the coach speak. I see him as an overrated pompous jerk whose best years have long since passed him by.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It wouldn't matter if Spurrier got top talent because he would never let it develop. At UF, he had great QB prospects, but he would yank them as soon as they made a mistake or weren't playing to his standard. He certainly set his personal standards high considering that he threw one pick for every 10 receptions and had a 3:2 INT-to-TD ratio when he played in the NFL.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Wonder if all the SOS defenders will come here and act like he doesn't have a raging inferiority complex now...
I wouldn't label myself as a SOS 'defender', though I did disagree in the last thread with many posters who felt he was cheap shotting CNS or that he has an inferiority complex. All I'll say is that if you really believe that SOS is bitter, jealous, envious, or w/e and your talking about him and USCe then your doing exactly what he'd like you to be doing. He's been kicking the big dog in the butt for his whole career. He just thinks it's funny. If AU won the next 3 titles in a row then he'd be spouting off at them. It's just how he amuses himself. If he was reading this I'm sure he'd love all the attention, lol.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wouldn't label myself as a SOS 'defender', though I did disagree in the last thread with many posters who felt he was cheap shotting CNS or that he has an inferiority complex. All I'll say is that if you really believe that SOS is bitter, jealous, envious, or w/e and your talking about him and USCe then your doing exactly what he'd like you to be doing. He's been kicking the big dog in the butt for his whole career. He just thinks it's funny. If AU won the next 3 titles in a row then he'd be spouting off at them. It's just how he amuses himself. If he was reading this I'm sure he'd love all the attention, lol.
Sorry, but I still think that getting turned down for the Bama job is in the back of his mind - constantly...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I am going to forecast that Stevie believes he has maybe his best team at sc, and plans on making a run for an SEC Title.
He does have the most letter-men returning than any other SEC team.

SEC Rank- CFB Rank- Team - Returning - Lost - TotalLettermen % Return

-------1 ----- 1----- South Carolina -- 58 ---10 ----- 68 -------- 85.29%

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Carolina is loaded and really should win the east. Like Spurrier or not he is entertaining,
and his comments have made us carry on a five page thread and counting. I can not wait until fall practice starts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.