Link: Big Mouth Spurrier carries it a bit further...

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Sorry, but I still think that getting turned down for the Bama job is in the back of his mind - constantly...
At this point I'm so happy he was trend down. I couldn't stand to have a coach like him represent UA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
At one time yeah he was likable HC, but, now he's just an annoyance that gets on my nerves now days..That's just me though..He's in the league with the "Swamp Kittens" Cajun fans-base..
Carolina is loaded and really should win the east. Like Spurrier or not he is entertaining,
and his comments have made us carry on a five page thread and counting. I can not wait until fall practice starts.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Sorry, but I still think that getting turned down for the Bama job is in the back of his mind - constantly...
I didn't realize SOS was available if Bama was ready to hire him. I remember some discussion around him but I never knew he was definitely ready to come to Bama had we made a public offer.

Did we turn SOS down before we went through the Rich Rod fiasco? Or after? My quandary...why would Bama pursue Rod if SOS had been available, but on the other hand, why pass on SOS to offer Rod if there was confidence Saban would take the job.

Looking back, given a choice now between Rod & SOS getting the Bama instead of Saban, I know which I would prefer. I went back and read the board's discussion about speculation that SOS might come to Bama, at the time it was generally considered an exciting idea. We evidently dodged a bullet.

SOS is confused in my opinion. He seems to think he's clearly the better coach if only you could ignore the fact that the coach is also in charge of recruiting. I will say this, SOS would have had a much easier time recruiting players to Bama than he has had at USC. I don't think he would have matched the success we've seen from Saban, but I bet he would have had a good run at Bama.

Now that I've learned to be a Lane Kiffin fan, I seem to have mellowed a little. :smile: SOS's remarks don't get under my skin like they used to. But I would be glad when SOS starts insulting Auburn and gives us a rest, unless that means Auburn has become a bigger target for him by winning too much.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
My hope is Coach Saban and team use any or all of his rematks for fuel. It could come in handy if we meet in the SEC Championship game.

I thought Steve couldnt ever run his mouth more than he did before the rematch against FSU. I got tired of his whining about late hits on his QB. It may have worked to his advantage as FSU didn't seem to get near as many licks on his QB as in the regular season. Roll outs were a part of that too.

So if he is such a genius on offense he should have made those adjustments at halftime during the season against FSU and he may have an undefeated season (including Post) on his resume.

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
Mark Richt is going to buy Saban dinner for deflecting Spurrier's rath off Georgia this off season.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The media loves him because he picks on the establishment. The media really has never liked Alabama since the 60s and Coach Bryant (not sure how much they "liked" us then). But they surely hate us now, and they don't like Nick Saban. So, anything Spurrier or anyone says that's mocking us or Coach Saban, they are going to eat it up.

They see Spurrier as someone who is not afraid to speak his mind and they find that refreshing amongst all the coach speak. I see him as an overrated pompous jerk whose best years have long since passed him by.
FIFY

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm surprised SOS can still get people upset. He takes a cheap shot at a rival coach or team, and then gets to be the center of a discussion again. That's just who he is, what he does.

One of the funniest remarks like this I can remember was when Kiffin told the Tennessee fans what an honor it had been to coach the team wearing those "yellow" jerseys. I thought at the time that sounded like something Spurrier would say. :smile: I still think that Kiffin's Tennessee "yellow jersey" shot was a classic insult for the ages, and extremely funny.

If it was my decision whether SOS would retire or keep coaching, I'd prefer to see him keep on going as long as he's enjoying it as much as he seems to. He keeps the pot stirred for everybody else.

Spurrier has a habit of insulting the team or coach he's most worried about, I almost take his cheap shots as back-handed compliments. It's sometimes better to be disliked that to be ignored.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Was gonna bring this up previous. From a cockytalk thread I thought hilarious
To me it reads that Spurrier lets his assistants do their jobs. If Alabama is paying all these assistants and advisors all of this money and Saban is knee deep in everything, what good are they? How are they going to develop as coaches?

Whereas you look at our staff and guys like Coach Elliott, Ward, Mangus, Brown .. these guys have blossomed under Spurrier. I may be wrong but it appears to me like he does a better job grooming assistants.
Guess ol'boy never heard of Fisher, D'antoni, or McElwain
I love how our fans and others drool over this guy, yes you are right Spurrier did lose those games but how many 5 star players were on the roster compared to Saban's bama teams? What Spurrier meant and what most of you are not understanding is that with the talent Saban has at Bama if his coaching skills were any good he should have won a lot more. And yes Saban's teams shouldn't have lost to OK or Utah. Non conference bowl games are a whole lot different then conference games in the regular season. You have a month to prepare, a team thats healthy, and a non SEC opponent. While during the season you are fighting injuries, SEC opponents, and limited preparation.

Funny stuff there. Or just ......?

To be fair, there are a lot of respectful posts , like
[Yes, people tend to "drool" over a coach that's won 4 National Championships at two different schools. Makes one hell of a lot of sense to me. Didn't we have lots of time to prepare for Missouri (bowl), UCONN, FSU, Iowa? That argument is silly anyway, both teams have the same amount of preparation time.

This thread is like some sort of bizarro world. Complain that another coach gets the best players then admit that he works harder at getting those players. Absolutely crazy

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
"In more than 30 years of coaching, Steve Spurrier has never lost a round of golf to one of his players. New challengers are apt to dismiss the claim, but Spurrier is happy to provide witness accounts of each of his triumphs. It's a record he takes seriously." Looks like SOS is really serious about his golf game.... Link To Full Story July 3

98Champions

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 22, 2009
I'm not angry, but consistently wins? What has Spurrier won since 2000?

Answer: nothing. The one time he made it to the SECCG, the barn DRILLED his team by 39 points.

I'm with you on feelings about Spurrier. Lord knows he's been a thorn in our side. However, I have to give credit to the OBC for the job at SC jr. Never thought he would do what he's done with THAT program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.