Link: Big Mouth Spurrier carries it a bit further...

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Interesting, a coach who has ZERO undefeated seasons, calling out his better for not having one every year.

I am going to forecast that Stevie believes he has maybe his best team at sc, and plans on making a run for an SEC Title, then retiring. If so, he will be flapping his mouth all year.

Quarterback

Suspended
May 14, 2014
He coaches for the MSU of the west, and probably does have a complex related to it. But damn, letting this guy anger you after 3 decades? His consistently wins, but also runs his mouth, takes shots at other teams and coaches. I got over getting angry sometime last century.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Not that it matters, but I believe this all took place in a single interview, not multiple interviews as the SDS “article” incorrectly states.

This is a lot being made out of some fairly lame comments (most of which were misrepresented by a hack journalist and a gossip blog, neither of which typically carries much weight around here).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He coaches for the MSU of the west, and probably does have a complex related to it. But damn, letting this guy anger you after 3 decades? His consistently wins, but also runs his mouth, takes shots at other teams and coaches. I got over getting angry sometime last century.
I'm not angry, but consistently wins? What has Spurrier won since 2000?

Answer: nothing. The one time he made it to the SECCG, the barn DRILLED his team by 39 points.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's just propaganda, we've seen plenty to show that once the players take the field, several other SEC team's have a comparable level of talent. The difference is Alabama loses a lot of players early every single year, whereas a team like South Carolina, or Auburn for instance might hang onto their 4 star kids for longer, meaning they are more experienced and Alabama needs more 4 star recruits to just keep up.

The way Spurrier talks, you'd think he never had Clowney... The difference is if Saban had Clowney, he'd have at least a couple of rings.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
You know Steve, you haven't even won the east at USCe. Let your team talk your smack by the results on the football field. How is anything you say about CNS relevant anyway?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You know Steve, you haven't even won the east at USCe. Let your team talk your smack by the results on the football field. How is anything you say about CNS relevant anyway?
Actually he did in 2010.

I still think he should "zip it" with regards to other head coaches.

Poor form by someone who is otherwise highly regarded as a college football coach.

Bring on football!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I can hardly ever figure out what point Spurrier is trying to make with many of his statements and I'm not convinced that he is trying to cut down Coach Saban. He is correct though, with Bama's recent classes there are some fans who can't understand why the team ever has a loss.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can hardly ever figure out what point Spurrier is trying to make with many of his statements and I'm not convinced that he is trying to cut down Coach Saban. He is correct though, with Bama's recent classes there are some fans who can't understand why the team ever has a loss.
It's a way of whining "look what I've done with leftovers." Of course, as others have noted, who knows what CNS could have done with Jadeon on the squad...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Spurrier is a fantastic coach, but he needs to zip it when it comes to this stuff. We aren't the Volunteers of the 1990s.

Saban has as many titles at Bama as every school Spurrier has ever coached or attended combined.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Spurrier just being well ............... Spurrier. He has always picked a team to jab so I guess it is our turn
the best way to shut him up is to make him get a few grass stains on that visor.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Doesn't he have anything else to do other than play golf and TALK?

I would say I'd like to see USCe win the east and play Bama in the SECCG and Bama win like 35 to 0.

However, I think I'd rather he go 0-12 for the season instead!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Gene Chizik has more unbeaten seasons than Steve Spurrier.

Hell, Gene's got as many national titles AND Heisman winners as Spurrier.

Since the day they won that national title in January 1997, Steve Spurrier has as many SEC titles as Mike DuBose, as many as Gene Chizik, half as many as Mark Richt.

Terry Bowden has more unbeaten seasons than Spurrier, and he only coached Auburn for 5.5 years.

It should be noted that while Spurrier's record looks impressive, most of it was confined to a brief period that overlapped the Danny Wuerrfel era in Gainesville. Steve blasted a lot of teams, but he also got mauled by teams he was supposed to beat.

1990 - Tennessee 45 Florida 3
1992 - Miss St 30 Florida 6
1994 - Florida St 31 Florida 31 (Gators led 31-3 with 12 min left)
1995 - Nebraska 62 Florida 24
1997 - Georgia 37 Florida 17
1999 - Alabama 34 Florida 7
2000 - Miss St 47 Florida 35 (game wasn't near that close)

And in 1998, his Gator team was WAY better than us and yet we should have beaten them. Spurrier's golden era at Florida coincides with the uproar in Tennessee (Phil Fulmer patting Johnny Majors on the back so he could mark the spot to stick the knife), a joke of an Eastern division as UGA was also imploding, a joke out-of-conference schedule outside of the annual brawl with Florida State, and a 6-5 bowl record.

Spurrier won four straight SEC titles, which just happened to be the four years Wuerffel was the starting QB. Put the rest of his tenure together outside of that and how many did he win? 1991 and 2000. Yes, I know Wuerffel was injured and Terry Dean finished the 1993 season despite being in Spurrier's dog house, but the fact remains that Spurrier never did all that much outside of that one well-recruited group of players that included Fred Taylor, Reidel Anthony, and Jacquez Green.

Spurrier blew big game after big game after big game. In 1994, he had a shot at the national title as he led Florida State, 31-3. Beat them, beat Alabama, win a bowl game and hope.

So of course, they let FSU tie it with four TDs in less than 12 minutes, shoulda lost to Alabama, and then lost to FSU in the rematch.

In 1995, they played for it all - they not only got beat, they got waxed. Wanna make 2012 Notre Dame look good against Alabama? Simply watch this game and you'll be convinced the Irish nearly won.

In 1996, all they needed to do was beat FSU to hold onto number one. Naturally, they lost. Naturally, Spurrier whined about late hits on Wuerffel. He won the title by routing FSU in a rematch - but only after Ohio State had knocked ASU off and given Florida clear sailing.

In 1997, they started at two, moved up to one......then somehow lost to LSU and then got blown out by UGA.

In 1999, they were in the top four and blew the game in the Swamp to Alabama. Just to show that wasn't a one-hit wonder, they really blew the SECCG the second time ("And Milons gets the corner....and he's gonna have a touchdown!")

In 2000, they lost to a Miss St team that had just been upset by South Carolina on a fourth down bomb for a TD.

In 2001, all they had to do to play for the title was beat the rescheduled Vols game (due to 9/11) and the SEC title game. Naturally, they somehow lost to Tennessee.

In big games, they never came through except when they had help elsewhere (1996).

Spurrier's Florida team was a bunch of bullies that - if you could survive the initial onslaught (a la the old Nebraska and OU wishbone teams of the 70s and 80s) - you could beat them. They had no plan B. Spurrier's entire offense was, "Ok Danny, send everybody deep and throw it and hope we come down with it." This is why I think he's not that great a coach, he's a great offensive coordinator.

Or maybe not, since he can't adjust. Hell, Terry Bowden with a team on probation and full of Pat Dye-recruited thugs beat Spurrier TWICE IN A ROW in his first two years.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I am not trying to be mean, but is it plausible he's getting a little soft between the ears? Could help explain some of the rambling.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.