Link: Prothro Getting Help with Student Loans

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Could not happen to a better guy. He has always been one of my favorite players I was at the game he made his catch in,actually I was sitting in that endzone and can still see it like it was yesterday. I still get upset about the game he got hurt in which he should not have been playing in anyway at the time he was hurt.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Could not happen to a better guy. He has always been one of my favorite players I was at the game he made his catch in,actually I was sitting in that endzone and can still see it like it was yesterday. I still get upset about the game he got hurt in which he should not have been playing in anyway at the time he was hurt.
Please, just let it go...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He needs help paying off $10K? He must not make much money. I have over 3 times as much. Someone help me lol

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I'm sorry, but.....Tyrone Prothro thought he was heading to the NFL? Really?
I think it would have happened.

No doubt a lot of the first round talk -- both then and now -- may have been a bit premature, but I don't think there's any real doubt that he could, and would, have made an NFL roster for a couple of years, and that alone would have netted him roughly $450,000. Multi-dimensional WR types that can provide value in the return game are hard to cut these days come late August.

And for upside, well, who knows how far he could have gone? Lack of size was always the knock on him, of course, but as football has developed that's really a non-issue at this point. The League is absolutely filled with small, undersized, yet quick guys who are mainstays and standouts at wide receiver. Physically speaking, at least, Prothro was very similar to guys like De'Sean Jackson, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola (or, more recently in the Draft, guys like Brandin Cooks and Tavon Austin). Perhaps he would have washed out of the NFL in a year or two, but had he stayed healthy then I think you can make a case that he would have played in the League for several years.

Last edited:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
If his WR receiver gig didn't get him into the NFL he could have switched to the OL.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think it would have happened.

No doubt a lot of the first round talk -- both then and now -- may have been a bit premature, but I don't think there's any real doubt that he could, and would, have made an NFL roster for a couple of years, and that alone would have netted him roughly $450,000. Multi-dimensional WR types that can provide value in the return game are hard to cut these days come late August.

And for upside, well, who knows how far he could have gone? Lack of size was always the knock on him, of course, but as football has developed that's really a non-issue at this point. The League is absolutely filled with small, undersized, yet quick guys who are mainstays and standouts at wide receiver. Physically speaking, at least, Prothro was very similar to guys like De'Sean Jackson, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola (or, more recently in the Draft, guys like Brandin Cooks and Tavon Austin). Perhaps he would have washed out of the NFL in a year or two, but had he stayed healthy then I think you can make a case that he would have played in the League for several years.
Heck, Pro's recruiting profile lists him at 5'10 and 175 pounds. Percy Harvin's NFL bio says 5'11 and 184. Pro could have made it in the NFL.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Prothro, who graduated from Alabama and is now an account manger for a Coca-Cola distributor, said he hasn't paid off any of the approximately $10,000 he owes in loans.
I'm sorry, I know we are all suppose to spout the company line since he was a Bama player but, I don't think he should be getting charity to pay off his student loans. Where is the charity for all the other students all over the country that graduate with 8x more in loans and never even had a chance at the NFL? 10K is actually pretty small, me and my wife still owe twice that and we've been out of school for a decade.

A quick Google search says that the average salary for a Coca-Cola account manager is 42K, that's about what I make and we pay all our bills just fine (with 3 kids). Sounds like he doesn't need charity but, a lesson in managing his money. I'm sorry but, I just don't like the idea of charity being handed out to someone who has a career and should be able to pay his bills on his own. Yes, it may take many, many, many years to pay that debt off but, join the club.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Prothro, who graduated from Alabama and is now an account manger for a Coca-Cola distributor, said he hasn't paid off any of the approximately $10,000 he owes in loans.
OK, we all feel bad for what happened. We understand his position on the controversy over using his own image. But...............

He hasn't made any effort to pay off his loans. Time for him take some responsibility. Unless he is facing a mountain of debt, related to medical bills, I'm not buying it.

In which case, maybe they should have helped whittling that down, instead. Something doesn't pass the sniff test. It isn't like he was unemployed and homeless for years. And he does have that sheepskin.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
OK, we all feel bad for what happened. We understand his position on the controversy over using his own image. But...............

He hasn't made any effort to pay off his loans. Time for him take some responsibility. Unless he is facing a mountain of debt, related to medical bills, I'm not buying it.

In which case, maybe they should have helped whittling that down, instead. Something doesn't pass the sniff test. It isn't like he was unemployed and homeless for years. And he does have that sheepskin.
It's really nothing unusual. With a salary of roughly 40K per year, I'm sure his loans are in Income-Based Repayment, in which case he's paying on the loans, but they payments are nominal and minuscule at that income level. In other words, he's paying, he's in good standing, the loans aren't in default, but by the same token he's not really reducing principal or outstanding interest.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I deleted selma's comment before seeing other mod's had commented on the thread. Sorry about that BET. I felt like he totally derailed the thread in a direction that was pointless. I generally avoid doing any editing on issues when I see a mod is already engaged, but was too quick on the draw I guess.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I have a student loan that I consolidated years ago and I start off each month with nearly $200 accrued in interest. I'm only able to pay $400 each month and I am lucky if half is applied to the principal balance while the rest goes to interest. I have divided up my payments to $200 twice a month for the past few years now. I am just under 28K left. I should be paid up by the time my son graduates from high school in 16 years.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.