SI.com's new look: Thumbs up or thumbs down

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Thumbs up to SI for realizing they had a problem with the old format. It was hard to navigate, and not very intuitive. Thumbs down for the new layout, though, because it put a fresh coat of paint on the old problems without fixing any of them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Thumbs down. Why a bunch of tiles instead of links?

Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned. And yes it looks like a layout for that hideous abomination of an OS that is Windows 8.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I use Chrome as well (I use Safari on my iphone) and that was a trainwreck.

It reminds me of those list sites that combine content from other pages into one big mess of information. Truly a terrible layout. I imagine they'll change it soon. I will not visit their desktop site until they do. It looks very unprofessional.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Must be fantastic, as it doesn't do much, on my desktop machine. Except tell me to click here, for..................uh, nothing! Brings me back to the same screen.

Yep, probably designed to look like 8. Never read it before, and that will not change. Especially if that is the case. But, that is what you get for hiring a bunch of kids, who think they made something cool.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It does look like they designed it specifically to work and look like a Windows 8 "Metro" touch screen app, and they probably do use it as such. I can see how scripting and style sheets like they are doing would wreak havoc on some browsers.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
If they ever had something there actually worth reading I might be a bit turned off by the design, but I doubt I'll have to worry about that any time soon...

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Do I like it? Not really. Is it smart? Probably so. This resembles the mobile look so many young people are accustomed to. I'm in my early 40's and one common thing I hear from friends/family is how they don't like how so many things are changing media wise like formats for web pages, operating systems, etc. What many people my age and older fail to realize, imho, is that much of the world no longer markets to us and never will again.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
No, we get it. We're old, so we like to kvetch. (It comes with the territory...........you'll find out in around 20 years!)

What would be of more interest..............

How many of the young folk they are targeting even read it? The younger generation seems to get what they want to know about from bogus sources, like The Daily Show. SI may have to skew their content towards what that demographic thinks is important. Which is probably not the scores. (Enough old geezer commentary, so this doesn't go to NS.)

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
Just checked it out. Don't go to SI.com so doesn't effect me. But, it looks great on my windows 8.1 PC. Nice feel, good looking. Everything I clicked on worked just fine. And NO, I don't work there or have any reason to post that I like it. Also, I'm in my mid 50's and do not have a smart phone.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I never had a problem with the old format on my ipad. Now, whenever i click on "menu" all it does is blink and keep me on the same page. Its impossible for me to navigate now.

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
Hate it.

I still use IE as my preferred browser (because I can easily make everything big enough I can read it in my old age) and when I go to SI, my enlarged screen only shows about 1/4th of the webpage. (Doesn't do that on other sites.) I tried it with Chrome and could see everything--but they don't usually have anything there that I want to see, so I didn't bother to figure out how to navigate on it.

RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.