Six Months After Legalizing Marijuana, Two Big Things Have Happened in Colorado

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
And that article doesn't even cover the tax payer cost savings in jails and prisons

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
A policy gamble that anti-marijuana activists warned would turn Denver into a drug-infested hellscape has provided the city and state with numerous benefits, and set the stage for more states and cities to follow suite.
It's as if we are observing the repeal of prohibition for the first time.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we spent the first two weeks of june in denver and surprisingly, the place was completely normal. i would have thought that society would have collapsed and that it would be a post-apocalyptic free for all

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
we spent the first two weeks of june in denver and surprisingly, the place was completely normal. i would have thought that society would have collapsed and that it would be a post-apocalyptic free for all
Just wait until the Broncos choke in the playoffs

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Exactly. It's an easy tax revenue stream. People will spend money on this and lotto tickets regardless of however much else they have. There's no tuff war over distribution areas since a person can pick it up a store.

I'm libertarian leaning myself and want to see harder drugs legalized (I don't use and rarely even drink alcohol). Give folks safe and monitored access, earn tax mom, and get rid of the turf war violence. I'm thinking old school opium den where a person is prohibited from leaving until 'x' hours after ingestion/consumption of the drug.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
William F. Buckley Jr. espoused this as far back (from what I remember) as the early 80's; I think he was an ultra-con, but I don't know if his views were actually "libertarian" or not. I know he was a brilliant mind; too bad it took so long to convince some people, and shame on those who still aren't convinced.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'm greatly in favor of legalization and hope Colorado and Washington see great success from the legalization.
But, I really want to see more than a few months' worth of data and compare it to several years of historical data.

I mean, the second point is based on 19 murders to 11 murders. Now, a reduction of even 1 murder is good. But, with such a small time frame and so many people in Denver, I'd like to wait and see at least full-year numbers. And, Denver might be in the middle of a trend of declining murder. I know Nashville saw a 35% reduction in murders in 2013 with no marijuana legalization.

Also, the total "Crimes Against Persons" category has increased by 24% - mostly attributable to "Simple Assault." Aggravated Assaults are up too. Arson has doubled, "Criminal Mischief/Damaged Property" is up, and the total number of reported criminal offenses is up by just over 10%. I guess you could make the argument that since law enforcement has more time, they can focus on other crimes, but I think this is just about reported crimes whether they actually occurred or not.

I hope that in a year, we can look back and see huge successes. I just don't think it's been long enough to really make any conclusions.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
They left out this increase in revenue. :)

50% Bump In Pot DUIs
And thats the thing that I don't like about making pot legal for recreational use. It is a medicine and should be treated as such. You can get a DUI if under the influence of prescription meds while driving. I do believe in decriminalization of marijuana but if it becomes legal one day everywhere recreationally then those caught driving under the influence will just have to pay the piper! Maybe lose their diving privileges completely or something.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And thats the thing that I don't like about making pot legal for recreational use. It is a medicine and should be treated as such. You can get a DUI if under the influence of prescription meds while driving. I do believe in decriminalization of marijuana but if it becomes legal one day everywhere recreationally then those caught driving under the influence will just have to pay the piper! Maybe lose their diving privileges completely or something.
Do you think that there's something worse or different in driving with pot as opposed to other substances?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.