Six Months After Legalizing Marijuana, Two Big Things Have Happened in Colorado

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Growing it hydroponically (faster) might require more water, but plant it, fertilize it with Ba Ba Doo and let it grow; the hotter it is the better. At least that's what I remember... :eek2:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I bet commercial farming is a little more water intensive. We'll have to see.
That stands to reason if you are going to plant 10 acres, but the requirements per plant are not that high. Of course in California they may not be able to grow anything more than cactus soon if they don't get some substantial rain. Now, to grow more "potent" plants, more water might be needed. IIRC (hee hee), plants produce resin (containing THC) in reaction to heat/sunlight. They need light a lot more than they need water.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
more intensive than the illegal growing? or more intensive than the small farmer?

i would wager that commercial farming in a legal environment/market will be less water intensive than the illegal operations. "big ag" as it were, has figured out how to efficiently use water/get by with less water. also the efficient use of water will keep production costs low (this is assuming that the big farmers are paying for what they are using, i'm not sure what the water situation is in california vis a vis paying for irrigation water) and with the market being legal now, price competition becomes a factor. i would think that in an illegal growing operation, production costs aren't as important as is plant productivity. also, the illegal guys are likely stealing the water anyway, so they don't have much incentive to monitor their use.

i would guess the small farmers will be utilizing lots of techniques (rainwater collection and reuse, hydroponics, etc) to minimize water use/costs.

eta: after reading 2fbyc's post i need to clarify that i am talking on a per plant basis :)

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
one of my marketing professors at bama had a couple of classes worth of discussion of the marketing strategy around a legal drug market. i can't remember the profs name, but i think it was the marketing 487/5-something class

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I took the article to be talking mostly about all the illegal farming in Humboldt Co. I could be wrong though. Those guys pull water out of the streams and pipe it all over the mountain side in a very wasteful and inefficient manner. It's just gravity feed tubing with no type of automation controls. I'd think commercial operation could/would use less water.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
FWIW, legal sales start today in Washington state although supply is reportedly short.
I happen to be in Seattle right now. They showed people on TV carrying boxes into a store under heavy guard and did say there may be shortages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
For the venture capitalists on the board, there has long been speculation that the real money in the hemp market is in industrial hemp. My father's family in Kentucky grew it for the Federal government during WWII, but at that time they used much of it for rope*. Supposedly, the timber/paper industry has posed the monetary threat to this movement for years. This could get interesting when Big Ag tips its hand.

* - I remember my Dad saying, "nobody knew you could smoke it". I didn't believe him at the time. Considering how low the THC content probably was for what they grew, though, I could see why no one bothered.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
For the venture capitalists on the board, there has long been speculation that the real money in the hemp market is in industrial hemp. My father's family in Kentucky grew it for the Federal government during WWII, but at that time they used much of it for rope*. Supposedly, the timber/paper industry has posed the monetary threat to this movement for years. This could get interesting when Big Ag tips its hand.

* - I remember my Dad saying, "nobody knew you could smoke it". I didn't believe him at the time. Considering how low the THC content probably was for what they grew, though, I could see why no one bothered.
Which is pretty awful since hemp plants are far more renewable than trees.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Which is pretty awful since hemp plants are far more renewable than trees.
Entrenched market position vs. increased competition.

My market example for entrenched competition is always draft beer in Alabama. I don't know if it's still true, but in the early 90's a state law prohibited the sale of draft beer except in counties with greater than a certain percentage of German descendancy. The perpetual opponents to changing this law (don't even ask about the "German" loophole, I never figured that one out) were Anhueser-Busch and Miller. They didn't want to be forced into investing in refrigerated trucks. Coors already had refrigerated trucks, so they were all for it, but they were outspent by the big two. Corporations will take strange political stances to protect a quasi-monopoly.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Entrenched market position vs. increased competition.

My market example for entrenched competition is always draft beer in Alabama. I don't know if it's still true, but in the early 90's the state law prohibited the sale of draft beer except in counties with greater than a certain percentage of German descendancy. The perpetual opponents to changing this law (don't even ask about the "German" loophole, I never figured that one out) were Anhueser-Busch and Miller. They didn't want to be forced into investing in refrigerated trucks. Coors already had refrigerated trucks, so they were all for it, but they were outspent by the big two. Corporations will take strange political stances to protect a quasi-monopoly.
I don't know about that particular weird state law, but the big brewers are still obstructing local and craft beer every way they can, but not as well as they used to

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Well, per the US government, here's how to grow it...

LINK
They should know...they have been growing it in Mississippi for over 30 years (that I know of). I think they have also been growing it someplace else, not sure where.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.