Construction At The Joe

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I rode by the Joe a couple of days ago. The demolition phase of the project is well under way. They have already torn down the ... Wait. No, that hasn't been torn down yet. Let's see, they have started taking apart the ... No. That's still just like it was. Oh, yeah. They have removed the ... No, that's still there too. So far, nothing has been done. Well, they have cut down the trees along Bryant Drive. But absolutely nothing has been done to the stadium. So much for starting immediately after the last game. It has been 53 days since the last game played at the Joe and 33 days after the last game in Tallahassee and there isn't even any heavy equipment on site. When, exactly, are they going to actually start work? Or have they found some new excuse for not going forward with the project?

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
I rode by the Joe a couple of days ago. The demolition phase of the project is well under way. They have already torn down the ... Wait. No, that hasn't been torn down yet. Let's see, they have started taking apart the ... No. That's still just like it was. Oh, yeah. They have removed the ... No, that's still there too. So far, nothing has been done. Well, they have cut down the trees along Bryant Drive. But absolutely nothing has been done to the stadium. So much for starting immediately after the last game. It has been 53 days since the last game played at the Joe and 33 days after the last game in Tallahassee and there isn't even any heavy equipment on site. When, exactly, are they going to actually start work? Or have they found some new excuse for not going forward with the project?
Have the plans for the new stadium been finalized? I have not seen any pictures of the final plans.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I guess they couldn't start until after we were eliminated on the off chance we got to host a super regional. But it seems like they should have started something but I'm not in the construction business so I don't know.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Should have been started by now. Decision to play all home games in Hoover next year means they are not in a hurry. And Wade Wass has signed with Angels- next year is looking dimmer and dimmer.

Diamond Tide

Baseball Moderator
Staff member
Jun 23, 2000
Tuscaloosa , AL USA
diamondtide.tidefans.com
This is what I know. I rode around the stadium last week and noticed there were 2 storage containers behind the batters eye in center field. They have started to remove the metal bleachers down the right field line. This will take some time to remove all of it before you start seeing total demolition. I'm sure it took a week or so to remove everything below the stadium (lockers, equipment, players lounge furnishings, etc....). I read Coach Battle's Battle Plan email and he say's bids are just now going out. It's just a matter of time at this point.

Diamond Tide

Bama Baseball 1

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2007
Duncanville, AL
On an interesting note, I received a survey from the SEC, on baseball stadiums, and the overall fan experience. There were questions on ticket prices, parking, seating arrangement, and comfort,organized cheers, music and more. I was truthful in my opinion of the current facilities, but did state that a renovation was in the works, but that I had not seen the plans, and therefore could not discuss the new facility plans. It appears that the SEC is interested in promoting baseball, and making it more appealing to the fans!
As a season ticket holder, I wonder what the new facilities will look like? What will happen to season ticket prices? Have they made arrangements for next seasons games at Hoover? How will season ticket holders new seating be assigned. I wish they would send something out to all the season holders giving us some details.

I have seen few drawings on the Internet, but who knows if they are correct. Seems like fans from opposing schools know more about what is going on than do season ticket holders.

Last edited:

Diamond Tide

Baseball Moderator
Staff member
Jun 23, 2000
Tuscaloosa , AL USA
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Bamajake, you're just like me. I told myself not to get too excited just on the news but rather wait until there is actually a wreaking ball on site. I forgot to mention in my previous post that there are survey lines painted in the parking lot in the center field area. I also saw back late in the season while cooking for the Grand Slammers, a survey stake up against the wall in the visitors bullpen. It said "LF Line." The stake was about 10-15 feet left of the foul pole. I had heard earlier that the field would be shifted a little to the left. For me, seeing all that has been done so far (along with cutting old trees down) gives me confidence that this project will happen.

Bama Baseball 1, I have heard that season tickets holders will not lose their place because of the situation. As far as renderings goes, Davis Architects of Birmingham is the one you saw on the internet but it's not on their website yet. Here is a link to their portfolio projects. http://www.dadot.com/athleticfacilities/. I have this page bookmarked and check it everyday.

I hope I have shed a little light on the subject and wished I could tell you more. Hopefully there will be actual images of the demolition coming as this project moves forward.

Diamond Tide

Last edited:

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I drove by one day last week. The two containers are still sitting where they were, the metal seats have been removed from the right field grandstand and the metal bleachers down the left field line have been removed. Nothing else. No heavy equipment. No indication that anything will happen any time soon.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Update: I rode by the Joe a couple of days ago. The concrete slab that was under the bleachers down the left field line has been broken up. The only other thing I noticed was the fact that the sprinkler system was going at full force watering the grass. Why water the grass if you are going to rebuild the place?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I saw a clip in the news last night that showed a bunch of rubble on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I wonder if the program has thought about auctioning off some of the old park like seats, or the CRIMSON TIDE behind the grandstands, pitching rubber, bases or infield or outfield dirt or grass or anything else. I wouldn't mind getting a little piece of our history!

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I rode by a couple of hours ago. The press box has been torn down and the concession stands, locker rooms and other areas underneath the grandstands have been torn out. The grandstands themselves remain untouched. The red chair back seats are still in place.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.