Kenyan Drake Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Kenyon Drake Arrested

Looks like he was arrested for not staying out of a crime scene. There was a shooting and the police had taped off the area and KD's car was in the taped off area. KD went under the crime tape to retrieve his car and that is when the police arrested him. http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/17818/tide-running-back-kenyan-drake-arrested/
If that is all he did, it is no big deal. But he needs to use better judgement in the future. He should have said "Excuse me, sir, may I get my car, please?". Ducking under the tape without warning (especially if you are a young black man) is just going to look suspicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

"UPDATE: Drake was arrested for trying to get to his car, which was behind police tape after the shootings in downtown last night. Not a major deal, and likely will be handled internally by Saban."

From FB.

That is crazy. Sounds like something a lot of people would have done.
Yep. I wouldn't do that now, but when I was 19..... TPD already has a reputation for overreacting. This won't help. Most officers I know are good men and women, but many of us have run into the too big for their britches type.

Problem for me is that Drake just can't seem to stay out of trouble. It is not like he shot somebody, but sooner or later I fear Coach will just plain run out of patience with him. He wants to spend the time he takes up with Drake for boneheaded behavior with talented kids who stay out of trouble, I suspect. Sooner or later a straw will break the camel's back. Hope this wasn't it.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

So the cops saw a shooting and joined in. Kenyan can consider himself lucky he wasn't manhandled.

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I dunno. You never know what the immediate situation was. Maybe they were having trouble controlling the area, maybe they warned him or had a conversation with him, or maybe they are over reacting. I think we just be glad that he's not in serious trouble that jeopardizes his future and wait for more details. Ridiculous, I know.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I think what davefrat was saying is that you have to pick your battles. It's probably not the best time to try and prove a point or smart off to a policeman, even if you are in the right. Yes you have rights and can say things to an officer that is not against the law but will tick them off to the point to where they will charge you with a petty crime that they probably would not have otherwise charged you with. I have no idea what happened in this incident with Drake, but I would agree with davefrat in that it's usually just better to say yes sir and move on when an officer asks you to do something. Then you could make a complaint on the officer the next day if you thought he was out of line.
I learned a long time ago when dealing with law enforcement to say yes sir, no sir and take responsibility even if you don't think you should. If you're right and he's wrong clear it up further up the line. I've had cops who seemed really angry turn around and be very conciliatory, (including dropping the whole thing), when you honestly act very respectful of their authority.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Furthermore...I guess I'm tired of hearing how a guy who plays significant minutes in almost every game in the doghouse. For what? Skipping class? Being a jerk? Smoking pot?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

You don't have to be drunk to obstruct. Or even drinking.
The year after i graduated, myself and some people I kind of knew were in Memphis for Memphis in May. One guy got knee-walking drunk and two of his friends left us to take him home. They sat him down against a wall downtown and one left him and the third guy to go get the car. The guy he left him with had to pee so he went about 50 yards away to a port-a-potty. When he got back about five minutes later, the police were arresting the passed out guy for public drunkenness. He asked them not to arrest his friend and tried to tell them that a car was coming to pick them up. He got popped for interfering with a police officer. By the time the first guy got back with the car, both of the other guys had been arrested and shipped off to jail.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

in my younger days i had i similar experience . i handled it by offering to have the cops search me and my car thoroughly before i retrieved it. i even left my name and they took all my information for further questioning. they let me go and get it and i got a call a week later letting me know the guy was caught and I would not be needed. found out later that the cop who let me go got into trouble with his superiors for letting me do that. (i actually ran into the same cop at the grocery store).

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

It looks like he broke a law, but to arrest someone for this seem a bit much. I guess it's a quick way to put more money into the police department coffers.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009

I know I am old, but when did it become acceptable to defy Police orders?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

If he retrieved his car, which was behind police tape, wouldn't he have had to drive through the tape? Unless their was an open area, in which case he needn't have stepped under the police tape, he could've walked a few yard further down. I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

So did he attempt to get car before he was told not to or after? From what's posted above he attempted AFTER he was told not to. If that's the case then he got what he deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.