Kenyan Drake Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Re: Kenyon Drake Arrested

Ole Man Dan.... I have always been a respecter of the law and law enforcement officers. If what you said is correct, it is a sad inditement of the profession of police officers. For anyone to take a biased, prejudiced approach to an individual -and teammates associated with him- for a stupid individual mistake, demonstrates complete ignorance and abuse of power for the service they were hired to perform. Police officers, as all those who serve in public life, aren't the grantors of rights but they are sworn to be the protectors of those rights for all citizens.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I can see this issue from both perspectives. However, if the police or investigators told Kenyan he could not move his car, then he should have listened, that simple. For him to do otherwise exhibits a disrespect for the law and law officers and he deserved to be arrested.
It's not like they didn't warn him or tell him. They did. He simply chose not to listen for whatever reason. Perhaps there's a slight, "I don't have to listen to nobody" attitude in place here? Sure seems like it.
At any rate, I don't think this is anything close to being serious enough for dismissals etc to even be considered--but Kenyan is hurting himself and his playing chances with his attitude.
sip

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If walking a mile is too much for Drake, I do not want him on the football team at all. (I have no idea how far away he lives from where he was parked).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh for Pete's sake.

Serious question for you and anyone else who agrees with your cute little quip: Do you know where Drake lives? Do you know where Temerson Square is in regards to most student housing (off campus or otherwise)?

I'm guessing not, because you wouldn't suggest that the guy walk home at one o'clock in the morning.

Within reasonable walking distance of Temerson, there are:

- a handful of mega-expensive lofts in downtown, which are almost never occupied by students
- some borderline halfway-house apartments next to the Train Depot that are occupied by folks struggling to get back on their feet
- a handful of condos and rental houses off Jack Warner or Queen City

That's it. Everything else is a significant distance away - long enough that no reasonable person - even a football player - is going to shrug their shoulders and say "well, I guess, that sucks - I'll just walk home."

Drake did something stupid, and he deserves pretty much whatever he gets from Coach Saban. But to take the cavalier attitude that one of our boys in Crimson should just gird his loins and walk home at one a.m. - when it's entirely possible that Drake and many of his friends live literally miles from the spot - is just on its face naive.

He should have called a friend. He should have listened to the officer, no matter how bossy the cop may have been. I guess he could have called a cab, though those are few and far between in Tuscaloosa. But to brush the whole thing off with a simply "well, he should have walked home and if he ain't willin' to, then by golly, I don't want him wearing the Crimson and White..."

Give me a break.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

What's gonna bite KD is the failure to follow instructions, and the willful violation of said instructions.

NOW

As a retired LEO I can tell you that from now on out... KD will be on the minds of every member of TPD, and the surrounding agencies as well. In effect he has put a 'Bulls Eye' on his back.

It's not just KD, it's every member of our Football team who will be under a law enforcement microscope.

Here's a fact of life.
Police Officers don't like anyone to question their authority, or disobey their orders.
KD will be branded as someone who disobeyed a lawful order. (That won't be forgotten)

How CNS handles this problem will be closely eyed by local Law Enforcement.
This will effect every member of our team.

I'm pretty sure TPD has shown no mercy to our players for years. Remember when Rashaad Johnson got arrested on bogus charges?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Oh for Pete's sake.

Serious question for you and anyone else who agrees with your cute little quip: Do you know where Drake lives? Do you know where Temerson Square is in regards to most student housing (off campus or otherwise)?

I'm guessing not, because you wouldn't suggest that the guy walk home at one o'clock in the morning.

- a handful of mega-expensive lofts in downtown, which are almost never occupied by students
- some borderline halfway-house apartments next to the Train Depot that are occupied by folks struggling to get back on their feet

That's it. Everything else is a significant distance away - long enough that no reasonable person - even a football player - is going to shrug their shoulders and say "well, I guess, that sucks - I'll just walk home."

Drake did something stupid, and he deserves pretty much whatever he gets from Coach Saban. But to take the cavalier attitude that one of our boys in Crimson should just gird his loins and walk home at one a.m. - when it's entirely possible that Drake and many of his friends live literally miles from the spot - is just on its face naive.

He should have called a friend. He should have listened to the officer, no matter how bossy the cop may have been. I guess he could have called a cab, though those are few and far between in Tuscaloosa. But to brush the whole thing off with a simply "well, he should have walked home and if he ain't willin' to, then by golly, I don't want him wearing the Crimson and White..."

Give me a break.
I agree with you 100% on this one. I went to school in Tuscaloosa and I would have been stupid to walk home anywhere at 1AM unless it was across the street. T-Town is a great town but there's no point in a young man taking a dumb chance. And let's remember, he would have been walking through a neighborhood where someone just got shot!!! Yeah, me and the Prof have locked horns in the past but we're on the same page with this one.
sip

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I agree with you 100% on this one. I went to school in Tuscaloosa and I would have been stupid to walk home anywhere at 1AM unless it was across the street. T-Town is a great town but there's no point in a young man taking a dumb chance. And let's remember, he would have been walking through a neighborhood where someone just got shot!!! Yeah, me and the Prof have locked horns in the past but we're on the same page with this one.
sip
Sounds like he did take a dumb chance and paid for it.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

If Kenyan is like me, that's definitely a possibility. I leave my phone in the truck whenever I go inside anywhere except the grocery store, so I can call my wife if I can't find what she wants me to pick up lol..
I'm there with you Sip. It's not unusual for me to leave my phone in the truck.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Oh for Pete's sake.

Give me a break.
I was responding to the comment about having to walk "a mile or more" and I also said I was unaware of where he was parked or where he lives. If it was just a mile down a strip of well lit street, then he could have walked. If it wa ssevreal miles through unsafe areas, then walking would not be a good idea.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

What's gonna bite KD is the failure to follow instructions, and the willful violation of said instructions.

NOW

As a retired LEO I can tell you that from now on out... KD will be on the minds of every member of TPD, and the surrounding agencies as well. In effect he has put a 'Bulls Eye' on his back.

It's not just KD, it's every member of our Football team who will be under a law enforcement microscope.

Here's a fact of life.
Police Officers don't like anyone to question their authority, or disobey their orders.
KD will be branded as someone who disobeyed a lawful order. (That won't be forgotten)

How CNS handles this problem will be closely eyed by local Law Enforcement.
This will effect every member of our team.
Leo's should act more like public servants than a gang. They should not look for reasons to hold a grudge. Most it seems have forgotten who they work for.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Leo's should act more like public servants than a gang. They should not look for reasons to hold a grudge. Most it seems have forgotten who they work for.
I'll agree with this as well. I live in a town where Cops think they were ordained by Jesus to harass people. There comes a time to cool it down a bit and to know who's paying your salary.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

I'll agree with this as well. I live in a town where Cops think they were ordained by Jesus to harass people. There comes a time to cool it down a bit and to know who's paying your salary.
live in one of those myself but doesn't excuse the kid's stupidity. fairly certain a well known Tide football player can get a ride home from a buddy or a bystander especially when we're talking a 2 minute ride in Tuscaloosa.

stupid is as stupid does...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

live in one of those myself but doesn't excuse the kid's stupidity. fairly certain a well known Tide football player can get a ride home from a buddy or a bystander especially when we're talking a 2 minute ride in Tuscaloosa.

stupid is as stupid does...
I think Cullman Tide brought out a valid point when he mentioned that Kenyan may have left his cell in the car. If that's the case then getting a ride may not have been so easy. Otherwise, I agree with you.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I don't have all the facts either. I'm guessing if he wanted to get to his car, it wasn't to drive home. It was to get something out. He had to have know he couldn't drive through the tape. I'm guessing he had something in there he didn't want police to find. If he had friends there with him, maybe one of them could have driven him home assuming their car was not in the zoned off area.
Also, I think this may be the last straw for Kenyan. I like him more than most. I really think he has the best ability of any of our RB's. Yet, this has been multiple offenses and Saban probably needs to open up a few more roster spots. This is all speculation. For the record, I hope it is as innocent as it sounds and the charges get dropped.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I don't have all the facts either. I'm guessing if he wanted to get to his car, it wasn't to drive home. It was to get something out. He had to have know he couldn't drive through the tape. I'm guessing he had something in there he didn't want police to find. If he had friends there with him, maybe one of them could have driven him home assuming their car was not in the zoned off area.
Also, I think this may be the last straw for Kenyan. I like him more than most. I really think he has the best ability of any of our RB's. Yet, this has been multiple offenses and Saban probably needs to open up a few more roster spots. This is all speculation. For the record, I hope it is as innocent as it sounds and the charges get dropped.
I wondered about that, too - but I would think TPD would have used his behavior as probable cause to search his car. Otherwise, he may have gotten very, very lucky.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If Kenyan is like me, that's definitely a possibility. I leave my phone in the truck whenever I go inside anywhere except the grocery store, so I can call my wife if I can't find what she wants me to pick up lol..
Man up, dude. If my wife is making me a sammich, she has to go to the store to get the fixins herself. ;)

Crimson Wonder

1st Team
Sep 4, 2002
Atlanta
Wayyyyy too many people here have missed the point all together. Just because you don't see stepping into a crime scene as a big deal, doesn't take away the seriousness of the matter. The odds are that you don't understand the importance of this procedure.

You mark off crime scenes in an effort to preserve evidence. There was a shooting.. So if the police were to just say "awww shucks.. come on in sir and get your vehicle. We don't want to inconvenience you" then this leaves the chance that he steps on or drives over valuable evidence that is now lost.. If a shell casing is left behind by a shooter, the finger print left on the casing can be damaged if mishandled. This means the bad guy gets away...

These threads always seem to go the same way. Let's jump to conclusions and automatically assume the cop was in the wrong based on a personal experience where the poster got a citation for breaking the law and is now upset about it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.