Kenyan Drake Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISSIN'BAMA

1st Team
Mar 31, 2000
Woodbridge, VA via Jasper, AL.
These threads always seem to go the same way. Let's jump to conclusions and automatically assume the cop was in the wrong based on a personal experience where the poster got a citation for breaking the law and is now upset about it lol.
Yep.

If this were an Auburn player, we would be talking about what a punk he is.

Crime scene tape speaks for itself....there's different kind with different wording, but it all says the same: Stay out.

The officers will look for all the rounds fired and shell casings. If they aren't in a body, they may be lodge in a building, a tree, or a vehicle. That's probably why the area was so large that was taped off. You start moving cars, letting people walk through, your screw up the crime scene and lose evidence.

But I'm sure the cops are to blame....

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Re: Kenyon Drake Arrested

I think Cullman Tide brought out a valid point when he mentioned that Kenyan may have left his cell in the car. If that's the case then getting a ride may not have been so easy. Otherwise, I agree with you.
If he did, I wonder how much good it would have done to explain this to the cops and try to get them to let him get his phone, so that he could call a friend for a ride. Might have been worth a try.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Ole Man Dan.... I have always been a respecter of the law and law enforcement officers. If what you said is correct, it is a sad indictment of the profession of police officers. For anyone to take a biased, prejudiced approach to an individual -and teammates associated with him- for a stupid individual mistake, demonstrates complete ignorance and abuse of power for the service they were hired to perform. Police officers, as all those who serve in public life, aren't the grantors of rights but they are sworn to be the protectors of those rights for all citizens.
Officers wont have to look very hard to see minor violations. All I alluded to is something many on this board fail to believe, and that is that Law Enforcement Officers have a wide discretion on how to handle violations. Most violators are advised of the violation and released. When someone flaunts the law or does something really stupid and draws the attention, said officers memory will kick in just as your memory relates to things you know, experienced ect...
The end result will be that while officers could cut him some slack, they may be reluctant to do so now.
While some here lump all officers in together, a few officers may well do the same with people who do not cooperate with them.

Time for me to preach to yall...
Reading this thread I've heard all officers lumped together, really, we/they are not all the same.
There are good ones and bad ones. Smart ones and ignorant ones. Just like this forum.
Should officers lump all Football players in one group, because of the stupid actions of a few. OF COURSE NOT.

NEXT...
A few guys on here condone an individual selecting the laws they will obey.
Sounds like the justifications used by Jamis Winstons lawyers, or Johnny Football's lawyers...
Truth is a broken law is a broken law. Officers don't write laws, they are tasked to enforce them.
Some do a good job, others do not.

TRUTH TIME...
The quickest way to 'Talk yourself into jail' is to take an attitude with an officer who is trying to enforce the law.
Next easiest way to go to jail is to decide you know best, and that what ever law you choose is a stupid law.

I know lots of people don't want to believe this, but most officers could really give a rats behind whether someone is a football player, prominent citizens son, or someone from the 'Wrong side of the tracks'.
Failure to obey a lawful order whether written on crime scene tape, or out of an officers mouth will quickly get an officers attention. The results is not usually in the law breaker's favor.
Yep... You can go to court.
Nope... The Judge won't usually rule in favor of someone who violates the law. (Remember he's a law guy too)
Yep... You can appeal the decision to County Court.
Nope... The Judge who hears the case is still a law guy. Get the picture.
As long as the particular law is on the books, it's enforceable.
All I'm asking is that an officer should receive a presumption of innocence until it's proven he has screwed up.
Just as you would one of our players. Now you can resume blaming the police for KD not following the law.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I think a lot of us are trying to manufacture an excuse here.

The pretty much undisputed facts are:
-- Kenyan Drake's car was parked near the Tin Top / Copper Top / 4th and 23rd neighborhood of Tuscaloosa
-- There was a shooting in that vicinity
-- The Tuscaloosa Police Department taped off an area that they thought was a crime scene.
-- Drake's car was within that taped-off area
-- Drake wanted to get to his car
-- The TPD told him not to go there
-- Drake went anyway
-- He was handcuffed before he made it to his car, and placed under arrest

Unless there are circumstances that have somehow evaded discovery since then, Drake directly disobeyed a lawful order from a sworn police officer. You can like LEOs or not. You can have had bad experiences with them, or favorable. You can do a lot of things. But you cannot thumb your nose at a direct order from a police officer at a crime scene involving gunfire and not face consequences.

Drake's biggest problem is that, while this is a minor thing in and of itself, when you view it in the context of past behavior, it's entirely consistent. Time and again, he has demonstrated an inability to comply with instructions.

Come to position meetings on time. Go to class. Carry the ball securely, especially around the goal line. Keep things internal to the team internal. Obey a police officer's direct instruction. At one time or another, he's run afoul of all of these. For some of them, more than once.

With other options in the RB corps consisting of TJ Yeldon, Derrick Henry, Altee Tenpenny and Jalston Fowler, nobody's good enough to pull all the garbage and expect playing time. Given Drake's personal history, the alternatives at RB, and the Saban's repeated statements about starting all over, I'm not at all sure Drake is more than a mop-up back in 2014.

I expect a transfer. Maybe sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

What's gonna bite KD is the failure to follow instructions, and the willful violation of said instructions.

NOW

As a retired LEO I can tell you that from now on out... KD will be on the minds of every member of TPD, and the surrounding agencies as well. In effect he has put a 'Bulls Eye' on his back.

It's not just KD, it's every member of our Football team who will be under a law enforcement microscope.

Here's a fact of life.
Police Officers don't like anyone to question their authority, or disobey their orders.
KD will be branded as someone who disobeyed a lawful order. (That won't be forgotten)

How CNS handles this problem will be closely eyed by local Law Enforcement.
This will effect every member of our team.
That's just stupid. Profiling at its finest. This is on no one but Drake. Period.

I sincerely hope that this is not the prevailing opinion among LEOs in Tuscaloosa. The U we are not. Bama football is not a gang of thugs run amok. Ray Charles could see that.

If that's the way they feel, then THEY should be ashamed.

Last edited:

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
Wayyyyy too many people here have missed the point all together. Just because you don't see stepping into a crime scene as a big deal, doesn't take away the seriousness of the matter. The odds are that you don't understand the importance of this procedure.

You mark off crime scenes in an effort to preserve evidence. There was a shooting.. So if the police were to just say "awww shucks.. come on in sir and get your vehicle. We don't want to inconvenience you" then this leaves the chance that he steps on or drives over valuable evidence that is now lost.. If a shell casing is left behind by a shooter, the finger print left on the casing can be damaged if mishandled. This means the bad guy gets away...

These threads always seem to go the same way. Let's jump to conclusions and automatically assume the cop was in the wrong based on a personal experience where the poster got a citation for breaking the law and is now upset about it lol.
I agree with this. There are valid reasons to preserve a crime scene. If his phone was in his car, surely he could have asked to use someone else's. There had to be a way around the choice he made.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I agree with this. There are valid reasons to preserve a crime scene. If his phone was in his car, surely he could have asked to use someone else's. There had to be a way around the choice he made.
Most young people have hundreds of numbers programmed in their phone and can recall maybe two or three. Me personally, I can't recall a single number in my phone--I've never had to.

While what Drake did was stupid, he was put in a very inconvenient situation. Even if he did have his phone, it may have been inconvenient or unlikely for his contacts to come get him. And maybe he didn't feel like going through contact after contact until he found someone that could pick him up. Could he have done it? Yes, but his cheif failure in this case was a lack of patience. Trouble found him this time--not vice versa.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
His problem is that when you have spent all your equity, you rarely get a pass on more debt. For someone who had never been in trouble this would probably be frowned upon. For him, it is more than a frown. Trouble might have found him in this case, but he should have run away from it. Probably a legitimate difficult spot, but most people would not have crossed the line, so to speak. Most would say, well going to the car is not an option, what can I do now. Drake crossed the line. If you do there is a cost associated with it. He should have learned that by now.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
What would have been wrong with a policeman getting Drake's attention right after he ducked under the tape..."Hey, that's really stupid...your choice here is to get back across that tape line and find a way home, or go to jail."

Matters were routinely handled in this manner when Coach Bryant was in charge, and I'm sorry things have changed so drastically since then. I think most parents of students who aren't even athletes would also hope their kid got a chance to back up, rather than being cuffed and hauled in.

I agree with Old Man Dan, a policeman has wide latitude whether to arrest someone, showing the law enforcement officer the proper level of respect can be a simple way to avoid being drug into the criminal system. You make a policeman mad enough, he can find a charge to hit you with.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What would have been wrong with a policeman getting Drake's attention right after he ducked under the tape..."Hey, that's really stupid...your choice here is to get back across that tape line and find a way home, or go to jail."

Matters were routinely handled in this manner when Coach Bryant was in charge, and I'm sorry things have changed so drastically since then. I think most parents of students who aren't even athletes would also hope their kid got a chance to back up, rather than being cuffed and hauled in.

I agree with Old Man Dan, a policeman has wide latitude whether to arrest someone, showing the law enforcement officer the proper level of respect can be a simple way to avoid being drug into the criminal system. You make a policeman mad enough, he can find a charge to hit you with.
I think the officer getting Drake's attention was when he told him from the get go to not go under the tape. An instruction given by a cop is much different than a parent. It is somewhat expected that a parent will give a second warning after the first without administering consequences. But from my experience with the law the first warning is your first, second and third warning wrapped up into one.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
His problem is that when you have spent all your equity, you rarely get a pass on more debt. For someone who had never been in trouble this would probably be frowned upon. For him, it is more than a frown. Trouble might have found him in this case, but he should have run away from it. Probably a legitimate difficult spot, but most people would not have crossed the line, so to speak. Most would say, well going to the car is not an option, what can I do now. Drake crossed the line. If you do there is a cost associated with it. He should have learned that by now.
I think we`re asking for a depth and breadth of maturity here that simply does not exist with this young man and unfortunately many others like him. Whether it`s upbringing (or the lack thereof), an over inflated sense of entitlement, or both.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Unless I missed something, we still have only heard one side of the story - and only a portion of that side of the story. Still reserving judgment until I have more information.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think the officer getting Drake's attention was when he told him from the get go to not go under the tape. An instruction given by a cop is much different than a parent. It is somewhat expected that a parent will give a second warning after the first without administering consequences. But from my experience with the law the first warning is your first, second and third warning wrapped up into one.
I understand your point and that's how I think things are.

But what I'm suggesting is whether the policeman, in a college town, could cut the student a little slack...go the extra mile with one last ultimatum...
'get back across that line or get in the backseat of the patrol car."

When I was in Tuscaloosa, it seemed like the police department's priority was... when confronted with a young person, sometimes a student, sometimes not, doing something stupid but not terribly criminal, they would try to defuse the problem without sending them through the court system. Nowadays, it seems like if there's a chance to set an example with an arrest then that's too often what happens.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
When are they going to come out with more information?
Answering my own question: If they haven't come out with all of the details by now, we may never know. Saban does a good job of keeping information locked up if he can. Saban will still do what is right, whether that is kick KD off the team or just suspend him. But Saban doesn't want to damage KD's reputation or opportunities any more than he must. IF KD does transfer, Saban doesn't want the media to grill him with questions or fans to dog him out.
I've read all of the posts on here and have not found 1 good excuse for KD yet.
As for the policemen profiling against football players, its hard for me to believe that policemen can identify football players in the dark quickly enough to be biased.
I hope Kenyan can straighten up.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I understand your point and that's how I think things are.

But what I'm suggesting is whether the policeman, in a college town, could cut the student a little slack...go the extra mile with one last ultimatum...
'get back across that line or get in the backseat of the patrol car."

When I was in Tuscaloosa, it seemed like the police department's priority was... when confronted with a young person, sometimes a student, sometimes not, doing something stupid but not terribly criminal, they would try to defuse the problem without sending them through the court system. Nowadays, it seems like if there's a chance to set an example with an arrest then that's too often what happens.
I agree. If it were you or me we probably would do that. But not all cops are like that and to be honest it doesn't make one a "bad cop" if he doesn't give a little leeway to college kids. In just the few dealings I've had with the po-po I've yet to be cut any slack and that's going all the way back to my college years.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We have the highest percentage of people in jail than any other country. I'd like to see us less quick to arrest people in general.

I wonder what would have been worse...if the policeman gave Drake a choice...a ride to the station with the policeman or calling Saban up at 2 in the morning to come pick him up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.