Kenyan Drake Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We have the highest percentage of people in jail than any other country. I'd like to see us less quick to arrest people in general.

I wonder what would have been worse...if the policeman gave Drake a choice...a ride to the station with the policeman or calling Saban up at 2 in the morning to come pick him up. :)
I would have told him to pepper spray and tase me before dialing those digits.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Re: Kenyon Drake Arrested

OMD,
No where have I condoned the actions of Drake and I certainly haven't blamed the LE0 s for his stupid mistake. I have expressed nothing but support and respect for the job they do. My only comments towards LEO's was in reference to your own words that they would look to the future with bias, prejudiced, and ignorance in dealing with the football team and Drake as an individual for his one stupid mistake. As I posted yesterday -if indeed you are correct in your highlighted comments- that is a very sad indictment on our LE0s in this community. I haven't tried to lump them together as a bunch of prejudiced ego driven group but you did a pretty good job of doing it. Thank God the friends I have on the local forces here in Tuscaloosa don't share your expectations.
NOW

As a retired LEO I can tell you that from now on out... KD will be on the minds of every member of TPD, and the surrounding agencies as well. In effect he has put a 'Bulls Eye' on his back.

It's not just KD, it's every member of our Football team who will be under a law enforcement microscope.

Here's a fact of life.
Police Officers don't like anyone to question their authority, or disobey their orders.
KD will be branded as someone who disobeyed a lawful order. (That won't be forgotten)

How CNS handles this problem will be closely eyed by local Law Enforcement.
This will effect every member of our team.[/QUOTE]

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
We have the highest percentage of people in jail than any other country. I'd like to see us less quick to arrest people in general.

I wonder what would have been worse...if the policeman gave Drake a choice...a ride to the station with the policeman or calling Saban up at 2 in the morning to come pick him up. :)
I would suspect Saban could not pick him up since it would be an extra benefit and at least a secondary violation. IIRC the aubs got in trouble years ago when Pat Sulivan was on their staff and he picked up, I believe Ken Hobby, for getting into trouble at McDonalds.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Kenyon Drake Arrested

OMD,
No where have I condoned the actions of Drake and I certainly haven't blamed the LE0 s for his stupid mistake. I have expressed nothing but support and respect for the job they do. My only comments towards LEO's was in reference to your own words that they would look to the future with bias, prejudiced, and ignorance in dealing with the football team and Drake as an individual for his one stupid mistake. As I posted yesterday -if indeed you are correct in your highlighted comments- that is a very sad indictment on our LE0s in this community. I haven't tried to lump them together as a bunch of prejudiced ego driven group but you did a pretty good job of doing it. Thank God the friends I have on the local forces here in Tuscaloosa don't share your expectations.
NOW

As a retired LEO I can tell you that from now on out... KD will be on the minds of every member of TPD, and the surrounding agencies as well. In effect he has put a 'Bulls Eye' on his back.

It's not just KD, it's every member of our Football team who will be under a law enforcement microscope.

Here's a fact of life.
Police Officers don't like anyone to question their authority, or disobey their orders.
KD will be branded as someone who disobeyed a lawful order. (That won't be forgotten)

How CNS handles this problem will be closely eyed by local Law Enforcement.
This will effect every member of our team.
[/QUOTE]

It's a little scary to know by making a relatively small mistake puts a bullseye on your back by the entire PD.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Wayyyyy too many people here have missed the point all together. Just because you don't see stepping into a crime scene as a big deal, doesn't take away the seriousness of the matter. The odds are that you don't understand the importance of this procedure.

You mark off crime scenes in an effort to preserve evidence. There was a shooting.. So if the police were to just say "awww shucks.. come on in sir and get your vehicle. We don't want to inconvenience you" then this leaves the chance that he steps on or drives over valuable evidence that is now lost.. If a shell casing is left behind by a shooter, the finger print left on the casing can be damaged if mishandled. This means the bad guy gets away...

These threads always seem to go the same way. Let's jump to conclusions and automatically assume the cop was in the wrong based on a personal experience where the poster got a citation for breaking the law and is now upset about it lol.
I don't believe anyone here suggested Kenyan was right in breaking the law.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If I were CNS then I would invite the Tuscaloosa police to come have a sit down conversation with the entire team. Let them talk about how to respond to the police when in a situation. Also, I would have KD's butt over at the PD to apologize. Nothing legal will pro all come of this, but using it to learn some valuable lessons wouldn't hurt.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yes, but..............

The tape does say "DO NOT CROSS". Seems pretty clear to most of us.

I guess we can take consolation our players are not sitting around their dorm rooms, watching crime drama TV shows, when they should be doing more productive things.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
Padre,
CNS actually does something very similar. It is part of the life skills process. Police officers are often at football practice too.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Padre,
CNS actually does something very similar. It is part of the life skills process. Police officers are often at football practice too.
Thanks...I serve on a police chief's advisory committee and the last thing they want to do is arrest someone for an idiotic misdemeanor. That being said, there are times when it keeps a situation from progressing and worse charges happening.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
You know, I see people on here trying to blame the police. They were investigating a crime scene where shots were fired and probably did not want any crime scene destruction or something along those lines. Why didn't KD just comply and not cross the line into the crime scene? This is not the first bad decision he's made while at Bama. If you can't count on him to make good choices off the field how can he be relied on when on the field?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm skeptical of law enforcement at times but this seems to be pretty cut and dry. Kenyan Drake was in the wrong and the TPD officers were within their right to take him into custody with that charge

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I have this feeling Coach may really make an example out of Drake here to emphasize "little things are big" as Yogi Berra said. Wouldn't shock me to see him gone.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I have this feeling Coach may really make an example out of Drake here to emphasize "little things are big" as Yogi Berra said. Wouldn't shock me to see him gone.
I don't know about him being gone, but bumped down the depth chart will be a definite option.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've seen too much to think all policemen are just bad or all good. But there are way more bad ones than some on this board seem to realize.

Beat cops can be very touchy, if you give them any suggestion of dissing them some will jump at the chance to jail you. You must say yes sir, no sir, and do whatever they say to keep from making them mad enough to haul you in, no matter who is in the right.

If I were the cop who popped Drake, I would have put him in the back seat of the car for about ten minutes, then asked him if he was ready to go home. He would have crawled back under that tape line at that point, lesson learned, without the public standing the expense of a court procedure and all the rest.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
We all know he broke the law. Doesn't mean we have to agree with it. Should he be punished, yes. But putting him
in the system? C'mon now.
Breaking the law in this case is very subtle. He went to get his car which was not part of the investigation. It just happened to be in a roped off area. I just am not in a big twist over this.

Breaking the law in this case is very subtle. He went to get his car which was not part of the investigation. It just happened to be in a roped off area. I just am not in a big twist over this.

For some reason I don't think CNS will be either. I'm anxious to know the other side of the story, if there is one. I'm all for punishment, believe me, but something seems wrong with this.

If he was warned though, that's a horse of another color.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
For some reason I don't think CNS will be either. I'm anxious to know the other side of the story, if there is one. I'm all for punishment, believe me, but something seems wrong with this.

If he was warned though, that's a horse of another color.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
Well, based on everything I'm either reading or posting on the NS board about cops, I wouldn't be surprised if the there was some culpability on their side too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.