OK, looking for a CCW...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Re: OK, looking for a CWW...

Also remember the lighter the gun the more it will kick
You won't find a single pistol that is sufficient for personal/home protection that doesn't also have a kick. Yes, some kick more than others. But imo it's not the kick in the weapon that counts. It's the practice you put into handling the weapon while still firing it effectively. If you practice with it regularly you'll get used to it. But as has been said previously, you won't be able to effectively handle any weapon if you don't practice with it on a regular basis.
Anyone who doesn't want to practice with a weapon should get used to dialing 911.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I have an LC9 to carry and an SR9 for more home defense.
At night, my LC9 stays on the night stand, safety off, round in chamber ready to fire. During the day it is either on me with safety on or next to me. That said, no kids and if we have folks over it is either on me or locked up during the day and in the night stand at night. If folks over with kids, it is either on me or locked in the safe.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You won't find a single pistol that is sufficient for personal/home protection that doesn't also have a kick. Yes, some kick more than others. But imo it's not the kick in the weapon that counts. It's the practice you put into handling the weapon while still firing it effectively. If you practice with it regularly you'll get used to it. But as has been said previously, you won't be able to effectively handle any weapon if you don't practice with it on a regular basis.
Anyone who doesn't want to practice with a weapon should get used to dialing 911.
That's one drawback to the P-11. Brad alluded to it earlier. It has a punishing recoil in the 9mm...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

At night, my LC9 stays on the night stand, safety off, round in chamber ready to fire. During the day it is either on me with safety on or next to me. That said, no kids and if we have folks over it is either on me or locked up during the day and in the night stand at night. If folks over with kids, it is either on me or locked in the safe.
For home, I hauled out an old over and under shotgun, for which I'm going to buy some self-defense loads. It's very old and having a Daly already, with full and modified choke barrels, I cut it off, right behind the choke, which was modified, so it's wide open. I don't have to aim - just point. I plan to have it standing in the corner by my bed. It may take me a second or two longer than groping for a pistol, but maybe not. Because of the way our house is built, any forced entry would be heard long before they could reach us. In fact, because of factors I won't go into, I would hear a car burglar before he could reach where we sleep...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Also remember the lighter the gun the more it will kick
I guess I need to repeat that I'm not really new to handguns at all. I've been shooting them since the '60s. However, I haven't carried in a long time and I'm not up on the latest models. A lot has changed, but the physics haven't... :D

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

My favorite combination of concealability, accuracy, and power is the Glock Model 27. It's small, but as a .40 cal, it packs a wallop. Loaded with a Black Talon or Federal Premium Hydra-Shok, if you hit a bad guy anywhere above the belly button, he isn't a bad guy any more.

It requires a firm hand to give the action something to recoil against. But as long as you're not limp-wristed, you'll be much hell. I actually prefer it to its big brother, the Model 22. I'm just not as accurate with the full-sized Glock. Strange, I know.

In a close-quarters situation, I really think the ammunition is way more important than the gun itself. You hit a bad guy in the love handles or collarbone with a FMJ, you drill him clean, and he's still coming at you, at least for 10-15 seconds. Which is more than enough time for him to return the favor.

Hit him with a no-fooling man-stopping round, no matter the tube it came out of, and he's no longer a threat, even if the shot isn't perfect. The power of hydraulics is a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Hit him with a no-fooling man-stopping round, no matter the tube it came out of, and he's no longer a threat, even if the shot isn't perfect. The power of hydraulics is a beautiful thing.
I'm sorry, but all the military and FBI evidence around suggests this is simply untrue - there is no 'man-stopping' pistol round unless you hit the CNS.

And yeah, I can link you to shootouts such as when police hit a suspect 22 times with .40S&W and he was still in the fight.

It's not about caliber, that's an internet myth - it's about shot placement. That's precisely what all the data shows us.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I'm sorry, but all the military and FBI evidence around suggests this is simply untrue - there is no 'man-stopping' pistol round unless you hit the CNS.

And yeah, I can link you to shootouts such as when police hit a suspect 22 times with .40S&W and he was still in the fight.

It's not about caliber, that's an internet myth - it's about shot placement. That's precisely what all the data shows us.
I don't disagree with the pre-eminence of shot placement. If you put a .BB, shot out of a Red Ryder, in precisely the incredibly exact right place, you'll score a drop-dead kill.

So you would recommend .BBs? A 9mm or .32 cal? I don't think so. If anything, go up to 10mm / .45 cal.

Regardless, load with ammunition that creates shock waves, as opposed to clean holes. The idea is to give yourself room for an imperfect shot.

In any case, I recommend the ultimate backup -- a Mossberg riot gun, loaded with .00. Just cycling a round creates an unmistakable sound through which few will continue the assault. Should you encounter one of the few, you won't have to fire the perfect shot. Close will count.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't disagree with the pre-eminence of shot placement. If you put a .BB, shot out of a Red Ryder, in precisely the incredibly exact right place, you'll score a drop-dead kill.

So you would recommend .BBs? A 9mm or .32 cal? I don't think so. If anything, go up to 10mm / .45 cal.

Regardless, load with ammunition that creates shock waves, as opposed to clean holes. The idea is to give yourself room for an imperfect shot.

In any case, I recommend the ultimate backup -- a Mossberg riot gun, loaded with .00. Just cycling a round creates an unmistakable sound through which few will continue the assault. Should you encounter one of the few, you won't have to fire the perfect shot. Close will count.
Another matter is concealability. Hard to get in a .40 or .45...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The fact is you don't get much in the way of hydrostatic shock from a pistol round - they simply don't have enough energy. Once that settles in, the realization (supported by years of FBI data) is that essentially any commercially available ammunition works about the same. You might feel better caring a 10mm or 45ACP but the numbers indicate that it really doesn't matter. What matters is where you hit the target and pistol rounds move slowly enough to not do much damage beyond the immediate area.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

The fact is you don't get much in the way of hydrostatic shock from a pistol round - they simply don't have enough energy. Once that settles in, the realization (supported by years of FBI data) is that essentially any commercially available ammunition works about the same. You might feel better caring a 10mm or 45ACP but the numbers indicate that it really doesn't matter. What matters is where you hit the target and pistol rounds move slowly enough to not do much damage beyond the immediate area.
Agreed. Putting the attacker down in the first shot isn't really the point. Rather, it is to stop the threat.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

I know they're reliable now, but I had three PPKs in a row way back. Each one was swapped for the prior one because of repeated misfires and failure to extract. Wiley's (biggest dealer around at that time) took each one back and tried unsuccessfully to remedy the problem. I finally ended up with a S&W .38 special revolver. Went "bang" every time...
Do you still have the .38 S-W? If so, why wouldn't it do? Frame too big?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I'm a bit of a Smith & Wesson fan, so my two recommendations - from personal experience - are both S&Ws.

My wife has a BodyGuard 380 with the built-in laser - which I've carried on occasion - and is light and slim enough for her to carry, comfortably concealed, while running. While the laser isn't the best - and has an odd, strobe function in addition to just "on" - it gives her (and me :) ) a little more confidence in her ability to aim if she ever does have a need to draw her weapon. I carried it, when she wasn't for whatever reason, for a while because it was so much more comfortable than my old primary carry: a Glock G19 "compact" 9mm.

My primary carry is now an M&P Shield 9mm and I love it. It's light, slim, and reliable. It also has a good thumb safety (as does the BodyGuard) - as opposed to the "trigger" safety in the Glock - which I prefer. I'm not nearly as svelte as I used to be nor as I'd like to be... Ok, to be honest, I've let myself get fat and horribly out of shape. :) Anyway, I use three different holsters - inside waistband, ankle, and shoulder - depending primarily upon my clothing choice and/or location for the day and each has a fairly different feel when drawing and holstering. The thumb safety gives me a bit more confidence in regards to avoiding an accidental discharge when drawing or holstering; I've never had that happen and wasn't that worried about it with the Glock but it is a bit more reassuring.

I've also found that I prefer the S&W grip profile over the Glock. Of course, that's very much a personal preference dependent mostly on hand size, finger length, etc. That is one thing you'll probably want to check out when comparing different guns, as a "more comfortable" grip profile - one that better "fits" your hand - can help you bring the gun on target more quickly. The best way to test this, obviously, is by firing the different weapons. This is where friends with different handguns and/or a range that rents them comes in very handy. :)

While the 380 is a significantly less powerful caliber than a 9mm or especially a 45, it should be noted that the most important factors - by far - in a round's "stopping ability" is the type of round and the shot placement. A single, properly placed shot with a good personal defense round in a 380 caliber will stop an assailant just as quickly as one in a 9mm, 40, or 45 caliber: instantly. Also, your hope should be that the caliber of your carry weapon never matters; you hope you never have a need to draw your weapon. In the event that you do have a need to draw your weapon then, ideally, you hope that drawing it is all that is required and you never have to fire your weapon. If you do have to fire your weapon then it all comes down to shot placement, i.e. your aim under pressure, which is primarily dependent upon your familiarity with and confidence in your weapon. So, when it comes down to it, the most important factor is really range time.

One thing you'll notice, when asking about different guns, is that most people seem to end up being big "fans" of certain guns and/or manufacturers and will therefore end up being very biased in their opinions. The best things to ask about are reliability, durability, and cleaning. Feel, accuracy, comfort, etc. are all pretty much purely subjective preferences and are really things you need to decide for yourself.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thanks, 4life. I tend to research something like this to death before I finally jump. The steps you outlined are exactly the way I'm proceeding...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

I carry a Springfield XD in .45. It's a large weapon but I'm a pretty good sized boy myself. It is a tack driver and I do believe the saying about never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber weapon...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

There's always a exception. 600 Nitro :)

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

My primary carry is now an M&P Shield 9mm and I love it. It's light, slim, and reliable. It also has a good thumb safety (as does the BodyGuard) - as opposed to the "trigger" safety in the Glock - which I prefer. I'm not nearly as svelte as I used to be nor as I'd like to be... Ok, to be honest, I've let myself get fat and horribly out of shape. :) Anyway, I use three different holsters - inside waistband, ankle, and shoulder - depending primarily upon my clothing choice and/or location for the day and each has a fairly different feel when drawing and holstering. The thumb safety gives me a bit more confidence in regards to avoiding an accidental discharge when drawing or holstering; I've never had that happen and wasn't that worried about it with the Glock but it is a bit more reassuring.
I second the Shield 9mm. That's what I carry and I've been very pleased with it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.