If You Were An NFL Owner--Which Current SEC Head Coach Would You Hire To Be Yours?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
A little bit of a loaded question. The NFL is a different scenario, and, as has been proven many times, being a great college coach doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL.
If I had to pick one SEC guy who I think fits the NFL personality type required for success, I'd probably go with Kevin Sumlin. Laid back enough. Intense enough. progressive offense. I think the players would relate to him and he would to them as well.
That's my opinion, what's yours?
My second choice would probably be, believe it or not, Les Miles.
sip

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It's hard to tell exactly without conducting interviews, asking what coaches they would bring with them, etc. Also, it would probably depend on where the program is at the time of the hire.
But, the three I would interview would be Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, and Kevin Sumlin.

I'll exclude Saban just for the sake of the argument. This could be a boring thread if we all simply say Saban.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's hard to tell exactly without conducting interviews, asking what coaches they would bring with them, etc. Also, it would probably depend on where the program is at the time of the hire.
But, the three I would interview would be Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, and Kevin Sumlin.

I'll exclude Saban just for the sake of the argument. This could be a boring thread if we all simply say Saban.
Good post. I left Coach Saban out because I think he would rather help "develop character" rather than "inherit it" as an NFL coach. He's a college guy, 1,000%.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I to am leaving Saban out. I'd have to say either Miles or Sumlin. I don't think Malzhan's offense would work in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I to am leaving Saban out. I'd have to say either Miles or Sumlin. I don't think Malzhan's offense would work in the NFL.

What is Malzahn's offense?
His ability to adapt his schemes to fit his personnel is one reason I would interview him.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
What is Malzahn's offense?
His ability to adapt his schemes to fit his personnel is one reason I would interview him.
His teams wouldn't be able to get away with all of the holding and illegal shifting and linemen downfield in the NFL. Kinda makes a big deference.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are only a few in all of college football that I would consider, and (other than Saban, who isn't leaving Alabama) there are none in the SEC. If I owned an NFL team, I would want someone who had demonstrated an ability at that level. If forced to choose from the college ranks, I would probably go with Dantonio, Shaw or Strong - in that order of preference.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Les Miles. His overall philosophy, defensively and on offense is more akin to the NFL than any other of the names mentioned so far.
Philosophy can change. An NFL coach is going to have to be adaptable to roster turnover, rules changes, and which division they play in. If Saban's off the table I'd take Gussy.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I am sure that there are NFL GM's who believe that the "excitement" of the HUNH will help them win more games, and as a result sell tickets and licensed merchandise. A relatively young up and coming HUNH coach like Sumlin or Gus would be perfect for them. Whether or not the HUNH will work long term in the NFL is another issue, but teams like the Jacksonville that have nothing to lose, or the Browns with Johnny Football, would be willing to take that chance. Besides, the Eagles managed to sneak into the playoffs with that Oregon coach, so a "me too" mentality might take over, just like in college.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I am sure that there are NFL GM's who believe that the "excitement" of the HUNH will help them win more games, and as a result sell tickets and licensed merchandise. A relatively young up and coming HUNH coach like Sumlin or Gus would be perfect for them. Whether or not the HUNH will work long term in the NFL is another issue, but teams like the Jacksonville that have nothing to lose, or the Browns with Johnny Football, would be willing to take that chance. Besides, the Eagles managed to sneak into the playoffs with that Oregon coach, so a "me too" mentality might take over, just like in college.
That Eagles team was clicking at the end of the year. They had a power run game that was a thing of beauty.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.