Pre-Season Watch List Catch All

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well the 4th is over which means it's downhill to football season from here; which also means pre-season watch lists for postseason awards out the wazoo. I won't post all the lists. I'll only name our players and which lists they're on.

The Paul Hornung Award, now in its fifth season, is given annually to the most versatile player in major college football by the Louisville Sports Commission and football legend and Louisville native Paul Hornung, the Golden Boy.

Alabama WR/KR/PR Christion Jones is on the watch list.

The Maxwell Award has been presented to the top college football player in the country as determined by the Maxwell Football Club on an annual basis since 1937.

On this year's pre-season watch list from Alabama are RBs, TJ Yeldon & Derrick Henry, WR Amari Cooper and QB Jacob Coker (!!!!!!!!)

The Chuck Bednarik Award is awarded to the nation’s top defensive player as determined by the Maxwell Football Club.

On this year's pre-season watch list from Alabama are DB Landon Collins, LB Trey DePriest, and DL A'Shawn Robinson

Other updates as they come in

UPDATE 7/8/2014 9:30AM

Ryan Kelly is on the watch list for the Rimington Award, given to The nation's top Center.

The Mackey Award, given to the country's top TE has named OJ Howard to its watch list

Lombardi Award pre-season award watch list includes:

Arie Kouandjio & A'Shawn Robinson

UPDATE 7/16/14

Amari Cooper on the Bilitnekoff Award Watch List

UPDATE 7/18/14

Walter Camp Award

Landon Collins
Amari Cooper
TJ Yeldon

Doak Walker Award (Best RB)

Derrick Henry
TJ Yeldon

Butkus Award (Best LB)

Trey DePriest
Reggie Ragland

Jim Thorpe (Best DB)

Landon Collins

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I like the fact that a guy who hasn't played a snap for us is on the watch list. Talk about pressure living up to the hype. Coker has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know it may sound odd and I'm not even sure if a TE is eligible but I swear OJ Howard could win the Fred Biletnikoff Award if we feed him all year. He could be an unstoppable mismatch like Mike Evans was last year for A&M. Cooper is a threat as well but he has to play his best consistantely and have Timing Chemistry with Coker. OJ Howard though just throw it up to him even in double coverage and he will get it.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I know it may sound odd and I'm not even sure if a TE is eligible but I swear OJ Howard could win the Fred Biletnikoff Award if we feed him all year. He could be an unstoppable mismatch like Mike Evans was last year for A&M. Cooper is a threat as well but he has to play his best consistantely and have Timing Chemistry with Coker. OJ Howard though just throw it up to him even in double coverage and he will get it.
You're crazy.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
You're crazy.
Please feel free to explain why you think that. I didn't say he WILL win it but that he COULD. We horribly misused his pass catching ability last year. He is a 1,000 yrds plus recieving TE talent and could rack up TD's in the redzone. I'm not crazy I just honestly believe Howard is that good. We all have our differing opinions I suppose.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Only one ball to go around. Gotta divvy it up between Howard, Cooper, White, Jones, Black, Foster, Falkins, Yeldon, Henry, Drake, Tenpenny, Scarborough(??),Vogler

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Only one ball to go around. Gotta divvy it up between Howard, Cooper, White, Jones, Black, Foster, Falkins, Yeldon, Henry, Drake, Tenpenny, Scarborough(??),Vogler
I agree we have a lot of talented playmakers but CLK tends to find 2 main Recieving threats to feed the ball to....to me that's Howard and Cooper who will get the lion's share of catches. Plus CLK will use the TE more than we are used to. Howard is too great to not take advantage of. Also out of the RB's I think only 2 guys are going to get the bulk of carries/touches there.... Henry...and whoever can fumble less between Yeldon/Drake....although Drake is in the doghouse so badly Tenpenny may be the guy fighting Yeldon for time.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I agree we have a lot of talented playmakers but CLK tends to find 2 main Recieving threats to feed the ball to....to me that's Howard and Cooper who will get the lion's share of catches. Plus CLK will use the TE more than we are used to. Howard is too great to not take advantage of. Also out of the RB's I think only 2 guys are going to get the bulk of carries/touches there.... Henry...and whoever can fumble less between Yeldon/Drake....although Drake is in the doghouse so badly Tenpenny may be the guy fighting Yeldon for time.
I really think CLK will make the most out of all of them.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

And getting the ball to Howard requires less risk down field. I enjoyed the way coach Mac used Smelly as a receiver. Check downs and short to intermediate passes should be the norm without putting our QB in harms way. All we want is to get the D on their heels and keep them there. So many mismatches that are going to require so much attention.

Tenpenny and Jones deserve an honest look anyway. You would think all this talent waiting in the wings would keep some of these kids hungry and wanting to do it the right way. Go figure.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I like the fact that a guy who hasn't played a snap for us is on the watch list. Talk about pressure living up to the hype. Coker has it.

Young man will have to be mature beyond his years, I`m afraid. That`s a lot to bear up under for anybody.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I'm really surprised Coker made the list without accomplishing much on the field and without a real practice with us. He's not even the starter as of today. From what I saw at A-Day, I think he probably will be, but it just premature to dismiss Sims or Bateman right now. I'm hoping that list comes to fruition though because it means we put up some great numbers offensively.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I was amazed at Coker being on there. When was the last time we had this much hype for a player that hasn't even played a snap for us? I hope he can handle all this pressure.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I was amazed at Coker being on there. When was the last time we had this much hype for a player that hasn't even played a snap for us? I hope he can handle all this pressure.
Jacob Coker is a redshirt junior. This is his 4th year of organized college football. He has already graduated. He is 6'5" 230 LBS with a strong arm who is smart, smart, smart. He came out of a QB system, from a highly successful division I school that is noted for developing and coaching the forward pass.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Jacob Coker is on the watch list because of the ridiculous amount of talent around him. It would be insulting not to put the guy throwing Cooper, Howard, Jones, Black, and White on the watch list.

Amari Cooper I think can be the best receiver in CFB. With Howard, we have one of those elite receiving tight ends the NFL is so crazy about these days, and guarantee you Kiffin looks to feature him heavily in the offense. With Cooper and Howard, we may have two top-ten receiving threats. Jones and Black are two of the better slot receivers in CFB. White is an excellent receiver himself. And Foster and Falkins...those guys were five-stars and it's not hard to see why. Coker (or Sims) just need to be smart and patient. Y'all remember AJ's first year when he was throwing to Maze and Hanks?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.