So this Johnny Manziel photo...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Not sure what you mean when you talk about his talent. Namath was a below average NFL QB, even in his era. He was a celebrity playing on the biggest stage (NYC) whose defense made him look prophetic in the only really big game of his life (in the pros).

No idea if Manziel will ever hit that level of "celebrity" status, especially playing in Ohio, but just getting drunk and acting stupid isn't going to get him anywhere close to Namath's status.
Not sure I understand any of what you are saying. Namath was a below average QB? Have to disagree with that completely. My point was/is JF is already a celebrity and I believe his skills will be proven even if he is in Ohio. Didn't Jim Brown play in Ohio? JMHO

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure I understand any of what you are saying. Namath was a below average QB? Have to disagree with that completely. My point was/is JF is already a celebrity and I believe his skills will be proven even if he is in Ohio. Didn't Jim Brown play in Ohio? JMHO
Then I disagree all the way around. Namath was below average. Manziel will also be below average (IMO). Namath became a celebrity because of some very special circumstances while playing QB in NYC. Manziel will need something like that to reach Namath's status, and I just don't see that happening in Ohio.

Jim Brown was the best RB in the history of the game. Not quite the same discussion.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Namath stayed in the pros as long as he did on the strength of his arm despite his gimpy legs. It's the first time I've heard him called below average. Next I guess you will be telling us Kenny Stabler had some bad habits. :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Namath stayed in the pros as long as he did on the strength of his arm despite his gimpy legs. It's the first time I've heard him called below average. Next I guess you will be telling us Kenny Stabler had some bad habits. :D
Pass attempts3,762
Pass completions1,886
Percentage50.1
TD-INT173–220
Passing yards27,663

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Sad to see someone with so much talent (allegedly) self-inflicting pain and harm upon himself and his loved ones. I realize it's easy to make fun of the guy but wow what a waste of talent in a sport we all love. :(

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Forget his personal antics...I beleive the guy is going to be a NFL star, and in fact I think the Texans missed a great opportunity. Reminds me of a modern day Broadway Joe in terms of skill and media attention.
The difference is that Broadway Joe had a brain, could throw the football about 40 times better, was smarter, and brilliant as a Quarterback. There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between Joe Willie and Manzeil. Namath could chew him up, spit him out, and make him like it.
I agree that Manzeil is one of the most electrifying college QB's in quite some time, but college isn't the NFL. He's not physically gifted enough to be out doing what it appears he's doing and then turn around and be anything close to a great NFL QB. If he keeps this stuff up those NFL defensive guys are going to kill him.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Not sure what you mean when you talk about his talent. Namath was a below average NFL QB, even in his era. He was a celebrity playing on the biggest stage (NYC) whose defense made him look prophetic in the only really big game of his life (in the pros).

No idea if Manziel will ever hit that level of "celebrity" status, especially playing in Ohio, but just getting drunk and acting stupid isn't going to get him anywhere close to Namath's status.
With all due respect, calling Namath a below average NFL QB is the stupidest single statement I've ever seen on Tidefans. He was an incredible NFL Quarterback who basically changed professional football forever when he led the Jets to a huge upset over the Colts in the Super Bowl.
Perhaps you should call the NFL Hall of Fame and explain your opinion to them.
I am not believing you actually wrote that dude. Sorry, just my opinion, but that's ridiculous.
sip
P.S.--"The greatest athlete I ever coached"..Paul, "Bear" Bryant.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Then I disagree all the way around. Namath was below average. Manziel will also be below average (IMO). Namath became a celebrity because of some very special circumstances while playing QB in NYC. Manziel will need something like that to reach Namath's status, and I just don't see that happening in Ohio.

Jim Brown was the best RB in the history of the game. Not quite the same discussion.
I'll post this, off of the Hall of Fame website to maybe give you a little insight into how good Namath really was...

Namath's place in history was assured with his first pro football act, the signing of a reported $400,000 contract early in 1965 that gave the American Football League its biggest victory in the costly inter-league war of the 1960s. The National Football League’s St. Louis Cardinals had also drafted Namath. “Broadway Joe,” as he quickly became known, won a starting job in his third game on his way to AFL Rookie of the Year acclaim in 1965.In 1967, he became the first quarterback to pass for more than 4,000 yards in one season. In 1968, he capped off AFL Player of the Year and unanimous All-Pro selection with MVP honors in Super Bowl III. Namath's pre-game "guarantee" of victory backed up by his 206-yard passing production was a major factor in assuring the competitive viability of the AFL-NFL Super Bowl series.Namath was plagued with knee injuries through much of his career. Still he completed 1,886 passes for 27,663 yards and 173 touchdowns in 12 seasons with the Jets.
That, my friend is NOT below average!
Sip

Last edited:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

Tell me you are old enough to have watched his games? Or it doesn't matter.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
The difference is that Broadway Joe had a brain, could throw the football about 40 times better, was smarter, and brilliant as a Quarterback. There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between Joe Willie and Manzeil. Namath could chew him up, spit him out, and make him like it.
I agree that Manzeil is one of the most electrifying college QB's in quite some time, but college isn't the NFL. He's not physically gifted enough to be out doing what it appears he's doing and then turn around and be anything close to a great NFL QB. If he keeps this stuff up those NFL defensive guys are going to kill him.
sip
sip you and I are on the exact same page with Broadway Joe and I am not comparing...but I am predicting...and time will tell how good Johnny Football is in the NFL. My bet is he will be very good.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

We sure do...Disagree that is.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Pass attempts3,762
Pass completions1,886
Percentage50.1
TD-INT173–220
Passing yards27,663
Which, if you'll do a little research, was better than every Quarterback in the game, "At that time".
It wasn't a pass happy league in 1965.
My opinion is this--If you're an Ohio State fan who is here to discredit Joe Namath, then you need to disappear your butt from this board.
But I'm just one guy. I can promise you this. You'll never see me on an Ohio State board trying to discredit Jack Tatum.
But then again, you'll never see me on an Ohio State board at all, cause I'm a Tide fan, and I could care less what's going on on an Ohio State board lol...
sip

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
From his wiki:

While his career statistics are not exceptional (e.g.: Career passing percentage 50.1, QB rating 65.5, 50 more interceptions than TD's), Namath was the game's first true media superstar, and also the first quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards during the 14-game 1967 season. Nobody achieved this feat again until Dan Fouts in 1979, a year after the NFL adopted a 16-game season format and enacted new rules that gave more protection to quarterbacks and wide receivers. Namath's style of play in the years before his knees limited his mobility helped evolve the quarterback position in the NFL, and also initiated a gradual change in the typical style of an NFL offense from a run-oriented ball control game to a more open passing style. Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh stated that Namath was "the most beautiful, accurate, stylish passer with the quickest release [he'd] ever seen." Hall of Fame coach Don Shula stated that Namath was "one of the three smartest quarterbacks of all time."
As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, Coach Bryant said he was the best athlete he'd ever coached. If he was good enough for Coaches Bryant, Walsh, and (Don) Shula, he was good enough for me.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think Manziel will be his own worst enemy. If he plays as well as he is capable, he'll get a lot of leeway on his off the field antics. If he doesn't produce he will be scrutinized every move he makes.

Joe Namath had the quickest release I've ever seen. If his knees held up, he would have set record numbers. Coach Bryant disciplined Joe in college, but when he got to the pros he had his fun.

I've not seen anyone discipline Johnny Football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.