So this Johnny Manziel photo...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My opinion is this--If you're an Ohio State fan who is here to discredit Joe Namath, then you need to disappear your butt from this board.
I am not here to start something, so I will move away from this topic and apologize to those who are offended.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Johnny Manzeil versus Joe Namath....unbelievable.
A guy who's never taken an NFL snap versus a Super Bowl Champion.
I'm going to bed.
Nite folks.
sip
Step back in time to 1964-65 and tell me there is not a "Similarity" if you will with Joe then and Johnny now. I would never compare anybody to Joe Willie Namath...and Johnny Football may, or may not, ever predict a Super Bowl win and pull it off. So instead of bickering over this I yield totally to what Broadway Joe had to say about Manzeil less than a month ago - Link

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Which, if you'll do a little research, was better than every Quarterback in the game, "At that time".
It wasn't a pass happy league in 1965.
My opinion is this--If you're an Ohio State fan who is here to discredit Joe Namath, then you need to disappear your butt from this board.
But I'm just one guy. I can promise you this. You'll never see me on an Ohio State board trying to discredit Jack Tatum.
But then again, you'll never see me on an Ohio State board at all, cause I'm a Tide fan, and I could care less what's going on on an Ohio State board lol...
sip
Jack who? ;)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Namath stayed in the pros as long as he did on the strength of his arm despite his gimpy legs. It's the first time I've heard him called below average. Next I guess you will be telling us Kenny Stabler had some bad habits. :D
You got that right Chukker.

Imagine what kind of stats he would have put up if he hadn't been limited by his gimpy legs.

Note to fans from rival teams...

On this board, it is understood Coach Bryant could walk on water. Whenever Joe Namath passes, we will go back and take a good look at his life and see if there might be any film of Joe walking on water too.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
We used to go to a lot of Jets games when I was a kid growing up in the NYC area. Joe moved back from under center about as fast as my grandmother would have. But once he set up in the pocket, he was a joy to watch. Had he been active today when they can do so much more with bad knees he would have dominated the league for a long time.

Johnny is on a trajectory that seems to me to be a lot closer to that taken by JaMarcus Russell than Joe Willy.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Namath wasn't alone in throwing lots of INTs. In the 60s that was the norm. A 50% completion rate was hard to achieve as well, due to the fact DBs could all but murder WRs.

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
Bobby griffin the third once had his wife take a picture of him in the bathroom wearing a Baylor basketball uniform. That's kind of embarrassing since he didn't even play basketball...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
If he comes out next season and has a really big year it's going to drive his critics absolutely crazy.

His showboat lifestyle rubbed me wrong when he was playing college ball, but somehow I feel a little different now that he's a pro.

Judging from the photo, I can't tell if he's rolling up a bill, or if he found a bill rolled up, and is just unrolling it. :biggrin:

It would be interesting to hear how he explains the picture to his coach.

Is this much different than Joe Namath leaving a bar a couple of hours before playing a game? Just wondering.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
A very loaded question, but I will bite :).....Without a doubt AJ would have started at Quarterback at the University of Alabama.
..and yet Johnny is a first round pick and A.J...well you get the picture. I agree with you by the way.
I think Manzeil is a terrific little athlete who had his day in the sun, but I don't think he could have beaten out A.J. and I don't think he will supplant Namath as a Hall of Fame QB in the NFL.
sip

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
..and yet Johnny is a first round pick and A.J...well you get the picture. I agree with you by the way.
I think Manzeil is a terrific little athlete who had his day in the sun, but I don't think he could have beaten out A.J. and I don't think he will supplant Namath as a Hall of Fame QB in the NFL.
sip
sip you and I aren't disagreeing on anything. I never said Manzeil would ever supplant Joe Namath...Heck nobody in my mind will ever come close to that. Just saying Manzeil the celebrity reminds me very much of Joe in the 60's with all the media attention...and maybe..just maybe he might be a darn good NFL QB. If he pulls that off then the similariites become even stronger. Like I said earlier...Joe sees it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.