*** DT Daron Payne Commits to Alabama ***

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I looked and did not see an individual thread for Daron Payne. This kid is a beast, from Birmingham and needs his own thread. He has been dominant on the camp circuit and I have a feeling he i going to perform very well at The Opening. I really, really hope we get Daron's commitment and signature.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: 2015 DT Daron Payne

He told folks today at The Opening his top 3 are Alabama, Auburn and Texas. He hopes to visit Austin soon.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

It looks like an in state battle. Not sure the appeal of Texas (as compared to places like LSU or FSU that are big time too and closer than UT).

I don't think anyone knows what'll happen with Payne until he signs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Payne was in Starkville Friday for the Big Dawg event. His high school teammate Keith Mixon committed to MSU while on the trip. There was some talk a few weeks ago of them playing together.

Payne told AuburnUndercover the below after the visit:

Lately, 5-star defensive tackle Daron Payne of Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Vally has been talking up three programs — Alabama, Auburn and Texas.

But after attending the Big Dawg Camp on Friday, he said Mississippi State has made a move.

“I’ve been feeling Mississippi State,” Payne told 247Sports. “It’s just the coaches. I like the d. line coach [David Turner] and Coach [Dan] Mullen."

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Lately, 5-star defensive tackle Daron Payne of Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Valley has been talking up three programs — Alabama, Auburn and Texas.

But after attending the Big Dawg Camp on Friday, he said Mississippi State has made a move.

“I’ve been feeling Mississippi State,” Payne told 247Sports. “It’s just the coaches. I like the d. line coach [David Turner] and Coach [Dan] Mullen."
Yeah, that's gonna happen...

Just like the new MSU commit who tweeted about "bringing a national championship back" to Starkville - the Bullies wouldn't win an NC if they went 14-0 and their 15th game was the playoff final against defunct St. Bernard College of Cullman. They will always find a way...to always be the Bullies.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Just like the new MSU commit who tweeted about "bringing a national championship back" to Starkville - the Bullies wouldn't win an NC if they went 14-0 and their 15th game was the playoff final against defunct St. Bernard College of Cullman. They will always find a way...to always be the Bullies.
Geeeze! I`m all for confidence, but surely the kid has to realize they`d need, what........ maybe 12 recruiting classes to compete for a NC at State??

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

just to be very clear, Payne is in no way a Bama lock as some have perceived in the last 3-4 months. he has mentioned in several of his interviews that he likes Auburn and others very much. how much should we be concern, depends how caught up in the excitement during these camps. at this moment, I think it will come down to Bama and Auburn at the end of the day. he is a great talent for sure, huge upside- strong upper body, good use of hands and feet. he just needs to play with more pad level which can be taught . from what I have read, the UA staff has other DTs that they like very much and would get commitments from some if they really push. obviously, Payne is a priority so we will have to wait and see what will transpire in the coming months.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Are you using the word "bullies" based on Sherrill's life experience he gave his team?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

"Bully" is also the name of MSU's live bulldog mascot.
Now y'all are catching on - I go back with the Bullies to when they were getting bullied by the likes of Houston to the tune of 74-0. Good to have a long memory to draw on when you're discussing MSU football tradition, past and future.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

@TDsTake I'm hearing that Mississippi State, with help from its commits, is making strong push at top-ranked MLB Leo Lewis and 5-star DT Daron Payne.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

@TDsTake I'm hearing that Mississippi State, with help from its commits, is making strong push at top-ranked MLB Leo Lewis and 5-star DT Daron Payne.
Payne's teammate Mixon committed to MSU and they got commits from 2 or 3 others in Birmingham recently so I can see this being attractive to Payne and I'm sure the money brokers in Starkville are making their presence known.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

They are trying to pull a Ole Mi$$ like the class they pulled in a year or two ago. There is no attraction whatsoever in Starkville. Of course, so far whatever the rebs did to sign the class they did has worked out for them. So if your State get all you can, lawer up, and play stupid. Sounds familiar..........

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

They are trying to pull a Ole Mi$$ like the class they pulled in a year or two ago. There is no attraction whatsoever in Starkville. Of course, so far whatever the rebs did to sign the class they did has worked out for them. So if your State get all you can, lawer up, and play stupid. Sounds familiar..........
Exactly!

Pat Dye is the ma$ter at this.....:cool2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

AlabamaIntel just tweeted a few things about Payne and Alabama.

• Daron Payne note f/ weekend UA continues to make the jumbo DL a top priority for 2015. New twist emerged after this weekend w/ the UA staff.
  • After his performance Friday night, Keith Mixon is now in play 4 the UA staff; The MSU commit could earn an offer in the 2015 class as KR/PR
  • Keep an eye on this twist as AlabamaINTEL has always liked Mixon as a slot receiver/kick returner & UA has a need; this is worth watching
  • Mixon attended all three of Alabama's camps this summer & clocked 4.4's in the 40; Mixon had 7 catches for 159 yards w/ TDs of 68 and 9 yds
  • In the Mounties epic season-opening 37-35 home win on Friday night vs.the Florence Falcons; His 68-yard TD catch came on 4th & 13 to win RTR

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

AlabamaIntel just tweeted a few things about Payne and Alabama.

• Daron Payne note f/ weekend UA continues to make the jumbo DL a top priority for 2015. New twist emerged after this weekend w/ the UA staff.
  • After his performance Friday night, Keith Mixon is now in play 4 the UA staff; The MSU commit could earn an offer in the 2015 class as KR/PR
  • Keep an eye on this twist as AlabamaINTEL has always liked Mixon as a slot receiver/kick returner & UA has a need; this is worth watching
  • Mixon attended all three of Alabama's camps this summer & clocked 4.4's in the 40; Mixon had 7 catches for 159 yards w/ TDs of 68 and 9 yds
  • In the Mounties epic season-opening 37-35 home win on Friday night vs.the Florence Falcons; His 68-yard TD catch came on 4th & 13 to win RTR
Interesting. Thanks RTR. The positive, Mixon can fly and is electric. The negative, he is an undersized kid that Saban and staff usually don't take and we usually don't do the 2 for 1 thing.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I want this kid at Bama sooo bad. He could be a star in our defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.