Would Group Play Be More Ideal Than Having Conferences?

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
With all of the soccer being on over the last few weeks, the thought arose of why not have groups in CFB, rather than conferences?

Conferences do not mean as much now, ecspecially outside of the SEC. The day is coming when "Division 4" breaks off and the thought of how to format the 64 teams has been given thought.

Under group play, you could protect rivalries, bowl games and implement a five-round playoff all in one.

Mike Leach commented on the situation, and was wondering how others feel about this format?

http://www.football.com/en-us/the-answer-to-college-football-s-future-group-play/

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I don't see how you can keep things regional (and playing your rivals) and have balanced groups at the same time.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
With all of the soccer being on over the last few weeks, the thought arose of why not have groups in CFB, rather than conferences?

Conferences do not mean as much now, ecspecially outside of the SEC. The day is coming when "Division 4" breaks off and the thought of how to format the 64 teams has been given thought.

Under group play, you could protect rivalries, bowl games and implement a five-round playoff all in one.

Mike Leach commented on the situation, and was wondering how others feel about this format?

http://www.football.com/en-us/the-answer-to-college-football-s-future-group-play/
It just wouldn't be the same. Sorry man.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Oh let's see....

1) "Conferences do not mean much of anything anymore"

This of course is why Delaney keeps his stinking Rose Bowl and why whether you win your conference matters - right?

2) Okay, so your "season" eliminates 32 teams and.....you have a 32-team playoff?

So you have TEN regular season games and two unfortunate schools are going to play FIVE MORE GAMES? We're going in AMATEUR ATHLETICS to a 15-game football season?

Okay, and so how do you decide the other games? Are we gonna sort of "require" the old SEC groups to play one another and exclude Florida, who is now in the ACC north/south?

I didn't think it was possible to have something worse than the four-team playoff with committee (other than a two-team playoff with committee).

This is ridiculous. It's insane - so I'm sure that's what they'll do.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Oh let's see....

So you have TEN regular season games and two unfortunate schools are going to play FIVE MORE GAMES? We're going in AMATEUR ATHLETICS to a 15-game football season?
An ACC/SEC/B10/PAC12 champ that plays in the Championship game will play 15 games this year.

But I think the biggest problem with it is no schools will want to drop the regular season to 10 games from 12. Too much lost revenue.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
An ACC/SEC/B10/PAC12 champ that plays in the Championship game will play 15 games this year.

But I think the biggest problem with it is no schools will want to drop the regular season to 10 games from 12. Too much lost revenue.
Exactly! The SEC won't even replace an OOC game with another conference game because that means 7 full stadiums and 7 empty stadiums instead of 14 full stadiums.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.