Best Punt returner out of Maze, C. Jones, or Javier Arenas

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I love all three of these guys, but wonder who you think is the best out of all three of these guys so far under the Saban era? I personally like Maze, but also like the other guys too...so I can't decide.:D

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Arenas, then Jones and then Maze. Arenas was the best overall, then Jones because of his versatility but recklessness and then Maze.

Career punt return TDs:
Maze : 1
Jones : 2
Arenas : 7

/thread.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Definitely Arenas, Jones, then Maze.

Arenas just always seemed to maneuver around everyone and gain those extra yards. He was a threat from start to finish.
He is in my top 5 all time players. :)

Sometimes Jones runs backwards to go forward, so he still needs to work that out. He has that explosiveness and moves.

edit:I forgot just how good Arenas was...not even close

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Arenas was the best college return man I've seen in the modern era of college football, every-time he returned a kick, you literally was expecting him to break a long TD return each time & any return that was short of 30-35yrds was a disappointment..LOL..I really wish I could remember watching David Palmer..From all that I've read & the videos I've watched of Palmer..They were similar in production & both had that threat to break a long TD return each time either touched the ball..

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Arenas, no contest. He just had a natural instinct for returning kicks.There was a feeling of excitement every time he touched the ball, like you knew there was a chance he would break it every time. Don't get me wrong, I love the other two players. The Maze return against Arkansas is one of the best plays I've seen in person. But Javy was the man.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Arenas. Not even close.

He's also my favorite player of the Saban era. I'd guess he's probably one of Coach Saban's favorites too.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Arenas was a game changer at the position. I considered it a no brainer before I saw the stats, and no disrespect to Jones or Maze, but he was on another level.

If you look at the 2008 and 2009 Alabama football teams, special teams was a real bright spot (Tiffin also being the best Saban era place kicker). Not only did special teams not lose any games for Alabama in 2008/2009, they won games for Alabama. Which, unfortunately provides a contrast to the past few years, in which special teams play was one of Alabama's few weaknesses.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Arenas was a game changer at the position. I considered it a no brainer before I saw the stats, and no disrespect to Jones or Maze, but he was on another level.

If you look at the 2008 and 2009 Alabama football teams, special teams was a real bright spot (Tiffin also being the best Saban era place kicker). Not only did special teams not lose any games for Alabama in 2008/2009, they won games for Alabama. Which, unfortunately provides a contrast to the past few years, in which special teams play was one of Alabama's few weaknesses.
Shelley has been very under appreciated. He became the best kicker of the Saban era by his senior year.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Arenas was the best. He had 7 returns officially, but how many did he have that got called back due to a block or hold that was nowhere near the play?

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Gotta be Javy, and it's really not even close. 9 yards short of the all time NCAA record for punt return yards in a career (1752 yds, vs. 1761 by Wes Welker), and that was after basically every team punting away from him for his last 6 or so games of his career. I think he only got about 5 yards total against the Gators in the 2009 SEC championship game.

Click

Maze is #100 on the list
Jones is #171 going into this season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.