Best Punt returner out of Maze, C. Jones, or Javier Arenas

UAB-CT

All-SEC
Mar 4, 2005
Northport, AL
couldn't let this thread go by without giving David Palmer equal air time to Javier. One of my favorite players

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
i'd go with Javi, then Maze, then Jones. But Palmer was on another level as a return man. If you watched him live, then you know what i mean. i've never to this day seen a return man get by 3-4 tacklers that were standing there in position waiting on the ball to drop in his hands on a punt return. he did that several times.
From the videos I've seen of Palmer I agree he's perhaps the best return man in the history of college football, but, to say he's on another level, as compared to Javi, I don't agree with & I think Javi is on the same level with Palmer when it comes to returning kicks..I agree that Palmer is the better between the two, but, not by a wide margin..Palmer is quicker of the two..Javi was just as shifty & just absolutely froze players trying to tackle him..I honestly think Javi is on the same level as Palmer..That's just my opinion..Javi's highlight video is every bit as impressive as Palmer's..I think so anyways..

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think, from watching both their entire careers - not just highlight clips - that Palmer had the edge in escapability, although JA had some mind-boggling moves. It was almost routine in every game that DP would have three tacklers with hands on him and somehow squirt out. JA was stronger in breaking a single tackle. Weight room was optional under Stallings (really!).

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think, from watching both their entire careers - not just highlight clips - that Palmer had the edge in escapability, although JA had some mind-boggling moves. It was almost routine in every game that DP would have three tacklers with hands on him and somehow squirt out. JA was stronger in breaking a single tackle. Weight room was optional under Stallings (really!).
In terms of agility, movement in space, and escapability, I don't think there is even any discussion here, the answer is Palmer. I said it while he was at Alabama and I stick to it even through today: Palmer was the single most elusive football player I've ever seen, at any time, regardless of playing level. His top end speed wasn't the greatest, but that guy just did things in close quarters that almost eluded physics. That's not a knock against Arenas, of course, but in my eyes Palmer was and is just on a different level than other mere mortals.

I've said it on here several times before, but I'll re-hash it again: Palmer is really a sad tale of a player who came of age in the wrong era. He was a great player for us as really our lone receiving threat in a run-heavy scheme -- 1,000 yards receiving as a senior despite so-so QB play -- but can you just imagine what he could do in one of these spread offenses today? Come game week, there wouldn't be a defensive coordinator in the country that could get a minute of sleep while fretting over figuring out how they could routinely tackle him in wide open space with the football in his hands.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Great post; agree completely
In terms of agility, movement in space, and escapability, I don't think there is even any discussion here, the answer is Palmer. I said it while he was at Alabama and I stick to it even through today: Palmer was the single most elusive football player I've ever seen, at any time, regardless of playing level. His top end speed wasn't the greatest, but that guy just did things in close quarters that almost eluded physics. That's not a knock against Arenas, of course, but in my eyes Palmer was and is just on a different level than other mere mortals.

I've said it on here several times before, but I'll re-hash it again: Palmer is really a sad tale of a player who came of age in the wrong era. He was a great player for us as really our lone receiving threat in a run-heavy scheme -- 1,000 yards receiving as a senior despite so-so QB play -- but can you just imagine what he could do in one of these spread offenses today? Come game week, there wouldn't be a defensive coordinator in the country that could get a minute of sleep while fretting over figuring out how they could routinely tackle him in wide open space with the football in his hands.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
The Deuce was the more electric of the two but I will give the overall nod to Javier due to him playing 4 years and being consistent. Palmer's freshman year was unbelievable. What others have said is true, he could escape and elude tackles that defied explanation. It is my opinion that he lost a step somewhere between his freshman and sophomore years. That was also when he got into trouble so perhaps he was spending more time partying instead of staying in shape. He still was quick but I don't think he has the same speed as when he was a freshman. Having said that, Javier is one my all-time favorite players. He was not only a great returner but also developed into a top-notch DB. He was one of our better run supporter DB's under Saban.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The Deuce was the more electric of the two but I will give the overall nod to Javier due to him playing 4 years and being consistent. Palmer's freshman year was unbelievable. What others have said is true, he could escape and elude tackles that defied explanation. It is my opinion that he lost a step somewhere between his freshman and sophomore years. That was also when he got into trouble so perhaps he was spending more time partying instead of staying in shape. He still was quick but I don't think he has the same speed as when he was a freshman. Having said that, Javier is one my all-time favorite players. He was not only a great returner but also developed into a top-notch DB. He was one of our better run supporter DB's under Saban.
After his freshman year Palmer was essentially Freddie Milons as a PR. Take out that year and Arenas wins by a landslide.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Take away the stats;( and by the way, everybody loves Javier). Palmer might have slowed after his freshman year a bit. Those who sat in the stands and watched both of these play saw two great returners. The point made is Palmer was unique in many ways. He was indescribable at times. Arenas had great moves, strength, etc.. Palmer could have held up better with that strength, but he was by himself in many ways. No one like him. Arenas more productive? yes and props to him. No one denies his greatness at Bama. But he is blocking if Palmer is there to take punts.
After his freshman year Palmer was essentially Freddie Milons as a PR. Take out that year and Arenas wins by a landslide.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I remember watching "the Duece" play back in the day, and I can tell you one thing....I think that he could "juke" his way out of a phone booth.....one of the best I've ever seen, if not the best.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
and btw, those youtube vids dont do Palmer justice. He had many other highlights not included on youtube. almost every run he had was a highlight. and he made some amazing catches in the back of the endzone.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Would you rather have a guy that averages 14 yards per return or 10? A guy that gets a TD every 20 returns or every 17?

Palmer was certainly more electric, but he wasn't as productive.

I'm curious how many starters play special teams 20 years ago vs. now. I imagine Javier had better folks coming to tackle him in addition to the fact that he was, you know, more productive in every measurable way.

Palmer had a return every 8 touches in his first year. After that he had 1 TD in 59 touches. His average per return dropped in half.

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Would you rather have a guy that averages 14 yards per return or 10? A guy that gets a TD every 20 returns or every 17?

Palmer was certainly more electric, but he wasn't as productive.

I'm curious how many starters play special teams 20 years ago vs. now. I imagine Javier had better folks coming to tackle him in addition to the fact that he was, you know, more productive in every measurable way.

Palmer had a return every 8 touches in his first year. After that he had 1 TD in 59 touches. His average per return dropped in half.
I didn't say Palmer was better than Javy, just that I remember his escapability...lol

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I have to go with the Deuce on this one. He was so electric. He made things happen when no one else helped him at all. At least with Saban, you know you have a better team to help you. Palmer would fake out the opposing team then fake out Bama's team. Still my all time favorite player.

Of course, had Prothro not gotten hurt, he would be in this discussion.
Nah, he only had 17 career punt returns over his 3 years of football.

I think some of you guys remember Prothro as well as you do because of the catch and because of the saying "only the good die young."

Prothro wasn't even our main punt returner those years, that would have been Brandon Brooks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.