Position battle in Fall Camp ( My thoughts)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
You don't sit a Bo Jackson type talent so the other guys can figure it out, and, right or wrong, I look at Henry and see a Bo type talent. You can't catch him and he'll run over you. Take your pick.
Either way, he's something special.
sip
Henry reminds me more of Shaun Alexander with his Top Heavy frame and running style but he's faster than Shaun. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a Bo Jackson type talent off just the Sugar Bowl however. I hate AU as much as anybody but Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker for that matter are the 2 Best College RB's I've ever seen with no one else in their realm. Those 2 were in some kind of special athletic category of beast freaks of which only Deon Sanders might be apart of.....

I like Henry a lot but let's not get carried away is all I'm saying. I do agree he may be the best RB on the team provided Yeldon continues to cough up the ball in critical situations and Henry proves he can have week in and week out running performances like the Sugar Bowl.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Henry reminds me more of Shaun Alexander with his Top Heavy frame and running style but he's faster than Shaun. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a Bo Jackson type talent off just the Sugar Bowl however. I hate AU as much as anybody but Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker for that matter are the 2 Best College RB's I've ever seen with no one else in their realm. Those 2 were in some kind of special athletic category of beast freaks of which only Deon Sanders might be apart of.....

I like Henry a lot but let's not get carried away is all I'm saying. I do agree he may be the best RB on the team provided Yeldon continues to cough up the ball in critical situations and Henry proves he can have week in and week out running performances like the Sugar Bowl.
I don't know if it was official but I saw a list of the top 20 40 yd dashes and Bo Jackson was listed tied at #1 with a 4.12. Neon Deon was around 3rd or 4th. Hershel Walker wasn't on the list. The barn's Onterio McCalebb was also on the list.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
The running backs are going to be Yeldon and Henry with Drake and Tennpenney fading in the back stretch.
Henry's the best we have, but T.J. will get the nod at starter because he's produced well, even with the fumbles. I have no problem with that.
But if the turnovers continue, Henry will eventually take his place.
You don't sit a Bo Jackson type talent so the other guys can figure it out, and, right or wrong, I look at Henry and see a Bo type talent. You can't catch him and he'll run over you. Take your pick.
Either way, he's something special.
sip
I agree; but I think Henry eventually starts due to production more than IF turnovers continue. I think - to your point - that he's just too good to keep off the field. Yeldon has been a productive back for us; but he's not the game changer that Henry is.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The offense has skill players galore, but we did as well last year and still suffered at key momens because of the OL struggling. Those 5 guys are the key to the season. We get good play there, and the winner of the QB race is almost immaterial. We need better play from the interior linemen than we saw last year.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The offense has skill players galore, but we did as well last year and still suffered at key momens because of the OL struggling. Those 5 guys are the key to the season. We get good play there, and the winner of the QB race is almost immaterial. We need better play from the interior linemen than we saw last year.
This. If the OL can just step it up even a notch, we`ll be hard to handle.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I agree, play calling can help an OL. I still don't understand all the drop back passes on the Sugar Bowl when we struggled so with their pass rush. FSU adjusted their play calls at the half of the BCS game to help negate Aubie's pass rush .

They way people are talking, it's looking like Coker will win the job. OL will need time to gel before the first game so I expect it to be nailed down quickly. RB deep no worries there, other than ball security. WR good to go there. DL I'm going to go off what everyone else is saying that this will be a very good line this year. LB and the secondary though we have talent can we somehow put it together to make a run.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Don't forget we have Lane Kiffin calling plays as well. That could make a difference. More big plays, methinks.
I haven't bought into Kiffin as an OC yet. Our offense looked scatter-brained in the A-day game. And don't say it was because SAban kept the play calling bland. If this was our basic plays and we still couldn't execute correctly, something is wrong. He's been fired from 2 of his last 3 jobs for a reason.
I'm also not sold on Henry yet either. I hope I'm proven wrong on both accounts, but only the season will show. Big, strong, and fast doesn't make a great RB. Ask Jimmy Johns. If Henry would have had as many carries as Yeldon last year, I would expect his fumbles to be close to the same number. When Henry runs, he doesn't protect the ball very well.
I'm not bashing, just cautious. Again, I hope I'm proven wrong on both accounts.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Besides the QB battle I see key battles as follows:

OL: Aside from Austin Shepherd and Ryan Kelly I see no sure thing going into fall. I have no clue how it will shake out.

Corner: Selve/Brown/C Jones/M Humphrey, throw in Jackson if he's healthy. What a mess they have to sort out.

LB Ragland vs Foster: This is a good problem to have, both these guys are freakishly talented If we run more 4 man line I wonder if the loser of this battle will see the field as much as one might expect.

There are lots of battles on the DL but I honestly see more rotation than in years past. I see an emphasis on diversity with players who can react to the pass and contain the rush. Up tempo offenses won't let us switch these guys out on a given series so we need them to be able to think on their feet and get it done. Then we need a second wave to come in and do the same thing while the first wave rests.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Besides the QB battle I see key battles as follows:

OL: Aside from Austin Shepherd and Ryan Kelly I see no sure thing going into fall. I have no clue how it will shake out.

Corner: Selve/Brown/C Jones/M Humphrey, throw in Jackson if he's healthy. What a mess they have to sort out.

LB Ragland vs Foster: This is a good problem to have, both these guys are freakishly talented If we run more 4 man line I wonder if the loser of this battle will see the field as much as one might expect.

There are lots of battles on the DL but I honestly see more rotation than in years past. I see an emphasis on diversity with players who can react to the pass and contain the rush. Up tempo offenses won't let us switch these guys out on a given series so we need them to be able to think on their feet and get it done. Then we need a second wave to come in and do the same thing while the first wave rests.
This is what I see as well. Lots of substitutions on the DL. In past substitutions were about personnel and specialties. This season I see it being simply about freshness. Keeping defense fresh against the HUNH shouldn't be a problem with our depth.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1. I would think we would keep it vanilla during the A day game. They also had rules put in place, so You can't use the A day game against Kiffin and the players. We weren't executing properly like you said, but remember they were going against real good Defense, and Saban did say that he thought he saw lot of positive things given that they were going at each other and that it was hard to tell negatives and positives from this and that could be a good thing. 2. Kiffin lost his jobs as a HC. Hes not a HC at alabama, He's a offensive coorinator. 3. Henry averaged over 10 yards per carries. Other running back were averaging 7 yards or less. Henry didn't play much because he had to learn how to pass protect. I don't think its' fair that you kinda singled him out like that when he hasn't done anything to warrant that concern though, no disrespected intended.
I haven't bought into Kiffin as an OC yet. Our offense looked scatter-brained in the A-day game. And don't say it was because SAban kept the play calling bland. If this was our basic plays and we still couldn't execute correctly, something is wrong. He's been fired from 2 of his last 3 jobs for a reason.
I'm also not sold on Henry yet either. I hope I'm proven wrong on both accounts, but only the season will show. Big, strong, and fast doesn't make a great RB. Ask Jimmy Johns. If Henry would have had as many carries as Yeldon last year, I would expect his fumbles to be close to the same number. When Henry runs, he doesn't protect the ball very well.
I'm not bashing, just cautious. Again, I hope I'm proven wrong on both accounts.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
T he thing about Kiffin is he likes to get his playmakers out in space so they can make plays. He's aggressive and he thinks endzone. That's why I think Howard could have a huge year. He's gonna wanna get Howard the ball often. One thing that I've always liked about Kiffin's playcalling is that it isn't overly cerebral. He just wants to score and create mismatches.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
"- Smart praised freshmen corners Marlon Humphrey and Tony Brown, but added "you start counting on freshmen, you're in trouble again." This reenforce my thoughts on them, and they won't most likely start for a while. I still expect them to start somewhere in later the seasons, perhap the last three games.

On Aries K, Lot of signs are pointing to him staying at where he is at. The coaches and the staff have huge faith in him and So do I. I really think it's not more of him or his younger brother at the left side of the OL, but I think it was a chemistry issue. You can have five best OL in the world, and you can still struggle in the game, because of lack of chemistry. That what happened last year. Took them long time to gel, and only to fall into medicore playing style. I honestly think the chemistry will be much better because there will be a voice on the line, and most likely will be Kelly. The OL will dominate in the fall camp. Mark my word.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.