Position battle in Fall Camp ( My thoughts)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Positions to watch for this fall camp

QB: Jacob Coker, Blake Sims and Cooper Bateman
Expected to win this job: (Not going to comment on this)
I'll save this one for next month and let it get all sorted out. We've talked this one to death already.
WR: we're very deep at receivers. I don't care who we use, because all is talented over there. I would love to see Chris Black earn more playing time, because he deserves it. He's too talented to keep off the field. I hope we'll see Shotgun formations with five receivers on the field at times. Imagine Black, Jones, White, Foster, Cooper and Stewart/Falkins/Sims/Kief on the field. Let's not forget Howard, he could line up in there as well. Oh lord, what if its' in second quarter with 3 minutes to go before half time, we're on our own 40 yards... we march up the field using those receivers. We force Defense to account for those receivers. Teams will think twice before double covering those receivers. Look at the freshman receivers and think about next year lineup:
Chris Black, So.
Raheem Falkins, So.
ArDarius Stewart, RFr.
Robert Foster, RFr.
Cameron Sims, Fr.
Derek Kief, Fr.
Calvin Ridley,
Daylon Charlot

Whoa! Nice isn't it? It depends on the QB we'll have next year...
Left Tackle: Cameron Robinson v.s. Dominick Jackson
Dominick can overtake Robinson if he can truly step it up, but if not, expect him to be moved to guard position. Projected line: Robinson, Kouandjio, Kelly, Jackson and Shepherd Wildcat to win starting job: Grant Hill (Will be sixth man off the line) and Leon Brown. I expect all to get extensive playing times this year.

Most likely will redshirted or play in cleanup games this fall but If some the games are blow out, I expect those players to play and learn from their experience so they can improve a lot.
Joshua Casher, Fr.
J.C. Hassenauer, Fr.
Montel McBride, Fr.
Ross Pierschbacher, Fr.

Defensive End: Jonathan Allen vs. Jarran Reed
It doesn't matter who we play, because all of the players we have are real good. Robinson has one of the spots taken. I expect to see Tomlinson back again this year. Reed should be taking Ivory's job. I don't think this is more of Allen v.s. Reed position, but it's more of who will start and who can rotate. I'm going to list players who I expect to play a lot this year in order of who will play the most to the least. I'm basing this on the schedule we have and we need faster guys on DL line. I'm really big on Dee Liner, so the first six I expect them to play a lot this year. Rest should be expected to play, but just not sure how much. This is the deepest Defensive line we've had in a while.
-- Jarran Reed
-- Dalvin Tomlinson
--A'shawn robinson
-- Jonathan Allen
-- Da'Shawn Hand
--Brandon Ivory
-- Dee Liner
-- Anthony Orr
-- Darren Lake
-- Dakota Ball
-- Wilson Love

Linebacker positions: All
I know Depriest is expected to start, but who will play beside him? All sign points to Ragland as of now. Not sure what happened to Lee, but I do expect Foster/Lee/ Evans to get playing times this year. We will see Rashaan Evans on 3rd downs situations and special team. Don't sleep on Christian Miller though. Hamilton, Dickerson Devall makes interesting choices to what will happen this fall. I don't expect any shocker on LBs this year, but next year should be interesting. I expect lot of rotations back there especially when we play against Texas A and M, Auburn, Ole Miss and West Virginia.

Corner: Whoever wins the job LOL
Cyrus Jones v.s. Bradley Sylve v.s Tony Brown v.s. Marlon Humphrey. V.s Maurice Smith v.s Eddie Jackson I truly believe first game we'll see Cyrus Jones and Bradley Sylve on the field. Coach is going to give them a chance to see if they have improved from last year. Freshmen Marlon Humphrey, Tony Brown will definitely get lot of playing time this year and we'll see them starting later in the season. It is possible we'll see Brown and Humphrey in corner blitz packages. Smith and Jackson shouldn't be counted out just yet. Things are going to be interesting when Jackson returns from his injury. Safety positions are strong point, so I'm not going to address it. We'll be okay back there.

Tight End: I just have one question: Where does Ty Flournoy-Smith fits in with the offense? I expect him to take a year to develop, and become a serious threat next year. We have OJ Howard, Brian Vogler, and Jalston Fowler (he's halfback) Fowler could be the "second TE" on the offense, if Kiffin does use the same format from USC days.

Kicker: Umm, whoever can kick a field goal in the game?

I think we'll see Adam Griffith handling the field goal and kickoff. We'll see JK Scott getting a chance to kick field goals this season. I don't know who else we have coming on campus next month, but right now everyone is a wildcat. They need to have strong fall camp to make impressions and show that last year is not a repeat. You would think Saban would hire a kicking coach in offseason to work with the kickers.

Running backs:
Third spot depth behind Yeldon and Henry. Drake or Tenpenny? It depends on what happens to Kenyan Drake next month. My gut feeling is that Tenpenny will push everyone for playing time. He's too good to keep off the field.

My thought:
I think we'll have ridiculous amount of stats on offense. We might see three receivers hitting 1,000 yards, or we'll see three running backs hitting 1,000, or we might see all together. Anything is possible. I do expect us to be averaging 45 to 50 points per game. I think Defense will rise up to the level that we haven't been able to accomplish the last few years. I think we'll see lot of turnovers on Defense, mostly fumbles and ints. That's why I think Offense successful and getting chances to run more plays, giving players more playing time depending on Defense success. I think we'll be very physical team but quicker. We will meet in December and something tells me we'll see Florida or Georgia in SEC Championship.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Positions to watch for this fall camp

QB: Jacob Coker, Blake Sims and Cooper Bateman
Expected to win this job: (Not going to comment on this)
I'll save this one for next month and let it get all sorted out. We've talked this one to death already.
WR: we're very deep at receivers. I don't care who we use, because all is talented over there. I would love to see Chris Black earn more playing time, because he deserves it. He's too talented to keep off the field. I hope we'll see Shotgun formations with five receivers on the field at times. Imagine Black, Jones, White, Foster, Cooper and Stewart/Falkins/Sims/Kief on the field. Let's not forget Howard, he could line up in there as well. Oh lord, what if its' in second quarter with 3 minutes to go before half time, we're on our own 40 yards... we march up the field using those receivers. We force Defense to account for those receivers. Teams will think twice before double covering those receivers. Look at the freshman receivers and think about next year lineup:
Chris Black, So.
Raheem Falkins, So.
ArDarius Stewart, RFr.
Robert Foster, RFr.
Cameron Sims, Fr.
Derek Kief, Fr.
Calvin Ridley,
Daylon Charlot

Whoa! Nice isn't it? It depends on the QB we'll have next year...
Left Tackle: Cameron Robinson v.s. Dominick Jackson
Dominick can overtake Robinson if he can truly step it up, but if not, expect him to be moved to guard position. Projected line: Robinson, Kouandjio, Kelly, Jackson and Shepherd Wildcat to win starting job: Grant Hill (Will be sixth man off the line) and Leon Brown. I expect all to get extensive playing times this year.

Most likely will redshirted or play in cleanup games this fall but If some the games are blow out, I expect those players to play and learn from their experience so they can improve a lot.
Joshua Casher, Fr.
J.C. Hassenauer, Fr.
Montel McBride, Fr.
Ross Pierschbacher, Fr.

Defensive End: Jonathan Allen vs. Jarran Reed
It doesn't matter who we play, because all of the players we have are real good. Robinson has one of the spots taken. I expect to see Tomlinson back again this year. Reed should be taking Ivory's job. I don't think this is more of Allen v.s. Reed position, but it's more of who will start and who can rotate. I'm going to list players who I expect to play a lot this year in order of who will play the most to the least. I'm basing this on the schedule we have and we need faster guys on DL line. I'm really big on Dee Liner, so the first six I expect them to play a lot this year. Rest should be expected to play, but just not sure how much. This is the deepest Defensive line we've had in a while.
-- Jarran Reed
-- Dalvin Tomlinson
-- Jonathan Allen
-- Da'Shawn Hand
--Brandon Ivory
-- Dee Liner
-- Anthony Orr
-- Darren Lake
-- Dakota Ball
-- Wilson Love

Linebacker positions: All
I know Depriest is expected to start, but who will play beside him? All sign points to Ragland as of now. Not sure what happened to Lee, but I do expect Foster/Lee/ Evans to get playing times this year. We will see Rashaan Evans on 3rd downs situations and special team. Don't sleep on Christian Miller though. Hamilton, Dickerson Devall makes interesting choices to what will happen this fall. I don't expect any shocker on LBs this year, but next year should be interesting. I expect lot of rotations back there especially when we play against Texas A and M, Auburn, Ole Miss and West Virginia.

Corner: Whoever wins the job LOL
Cyrus Jones v.s. Bradley Sylve v.s Tony Brown v.s. Marlon Humphrey. V.s Maurice Smith v.s Eddie Jackson I truly believe first game we'll see Cyrus Jones and Bradley Sylve on the field. Coach is going to give them a chance to see if they have improved from last year. Freshmen Marlon Humphrey, Tony Brown will definitely get lot of playing time this year and we'll see them starting later in the season. It is possible we'll see Brown and Humphrey in corner blitz packages. Smith and Jackson shouldn't be counted out just yet. Things are going to be interesting when Jackson returns from his injury. Safety positions are strong point, so I'm not going to address it. We'll be okay back there.

Tight End: I just have one question: Where does Ty Flournoy-Smith fits in with the offense? I expect him to take a year to develop, and become a serious threat next year. We have OJ Howard, Brian Vogler, and Jalston Fowler (he's halfback) Fowler could be the "second TE" on the offense, if Kiffin does use the same format from USC days.

Kicker: Umm, whoever can kick a field goal in the game?

I think we'll see Adam Griffith handling the field goal and kickoff. We'll see JK Scott getting a chance to kick field goals this season. I don't know who else we have coming on campus next month, but right now everyone is a wildcat. They need to have strong fall camp to make impressions and show that last year is not a repeat. You would think Saban would hire a kicking coach in offseason to work with the kickers.

Running backs:
Third spot depth behind Yeldon and Henry. Drake or Tenpenny? It depends on what happens to Kenyan Drake next month. My gut feeling is that Tenpenny will push everyone for playing time. He's too good to keep off the field.

My thought:
I think we'll have ridiculous amount of stats on offense. We might see three receivers hitting 1,000 yards, or we'll see three running backs hitting 1,000, or we might see all together. Anything is possible. I do expect us to be averaging 45 to 50 points per game. I think Defense will rise up to the level that we haven't been able to accomplish the last few years. I think we'll see lot of turnovers on Defense, mostly fumbles and ints. That's why I think Offense successful and getting chances to run more plays, giving players more playing time depending on Defense success. I think we'll be very physical team but quicker. We will meet in December and something tells me we'll see Florida or Georgia in SEC Championship.
Not sure that the OG positions are settled at all. Primarily LG. Wouldn`t surprise me to see Brown and D. Jackson. I`m just not convinced that AK is one of our 5 best. JMHO, of course, and I hope he proves me wrong. We should be hard to handle with the front 7 on D. I think we can and should expect more aggressiveness and creativity with the pass rush this year. The secondary will need it because, while talented, I think it`ll be young.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
QB: I expect Coker to win the job. He'll have some kinks to work out early on but he'll get it together around mid-season. He'll still have a few moments (not the good kind) but he'll make up for it with big plays. I expect more big plays than we've yet seen under CNS because of Coker and Kiffin. Throwing the ball down the field and picking up first downs with his legs is what I expect from Coker. That being said, I imagine he'll throw about 4-5 INTs in the second half of the season, about 10-11 altogether.

OL: Here's my projection from left to right: Jackson, Hill, Kelly, Brown, Sheppard; or Robinson, Hill, Kelly, Jackson, Sheppard. Robinson, like Fluker before him, is immensely talented but very raw in terms of his skills. This isn't Andre Smith we're talking about. Starting him would not be ideal. Kouandijo will need to be worlds better than he has been to keep Hill and Casher off the field.

RB: I expect Tenpenny to take Drake's job unless Kiffin especially likes Drake and has big plans for him (which he may). Here's why: Tenpenny is a more prototypical Saban back in playing style AND character. He's a high character guy who doesn't make Coach wanna pull his hair out. And CNS has never shown much interest in change-of-pace backs. He's recruited them, but they've never been heavily featured. What he really wants is bruisers relieving bruisers relieving bruisers. I expect Drake to transfer and have a ton of success somewhere else.

WR: I don't think we'll have three 1,000-yard receivers like the OP said, but two is very real possibly (being Cooper and Howard). I hope Howard has learned to block better though or he'll stay behind Vogler. Cooper and Howard will be Coker's best friends. Falkins and Foster might see some PT but they won't see much. I hoping Black can get some more reps but the guy in front of him is pretty good, plus he's a veteran. I think some will be disappointed that Black isn't used more often.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Keep that in mind, going into the fall camp, you would want offensive line pretty much set, and with jackson, already experienced, he should be able to step in and contribute immediately. I would rather spend six months establishing chemistry, than spend the six weeks trying to figure out each other's perference. I don't think we'll see Arie lose his job. We've complained about OL and rightfully, may I add, but I think we'll be okay this fall. If Leon Brown takes the starting job, I would say Sheperad's job. Both are OT. Only person I can see take Arie's is Grant Hill. He's not quite ready just yet. I do think secondary will be much better, because we started six at cornerback and all learned from their mistakes and that will help a lot this year. Should be strong year.
Not sure that the OG positions are settled at all. Primarily LG. Wouldn`t surprise me to see Brown and D. Jackson. I`m just not convinced that AK is one of our 5 best. JMHO, of course, and I hope he proves me wrong. We should be hard to handle with the front 7 on D. I think we can and should expect more aggressiveness and creativity with the pass rush this year. The secondary will need it because, while talented, I think it`ll be young.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I just want to see attitude and plenty of it through the season. If our O-line has a physical presence and mean streak to boot, the talent will take care of itself. Same for our D-line, but with Davis back as position coach, it's as if the aggression has already happened. The only job I'm most concerned with in the skill position is cornerback. Brown continuing to develop, Humphrey looking like his dad and Jackson coming back early and strong would be a delight as well.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I seriously doubt Howard gets 1,000 receiving yards. I expect him to be a bigger target, but nothing like 1,000 yards. I expect 600-750 yards and 6-8 TDs at best. I think DeAndrew will be our #2 receiver.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
-- Jarran Reed
-- Dalvin Tomlinson
-- Jonathan Allen
-- Da'Shawn Hand
--Brandon Ivory
-- Dee Liner
-- Anthony Orr
-- Darren Lake
-- Dakota Ball
-- Wilson Love

No A'shawn Robinson? I assume he is in there.

Seriously doubt you'll see 3 WR or 3RB's with over 1000 yds. Especially with a new QB coming in who hasn't had the opportunity to play in this system or develop chemistry with the players in a game. I wish I had the OP's confidence. I expect some ugly wins early on. About like VT last year. Our OL needs time to gel.

BTW, I wouldn't dismiss Brandon Greene from the LT position just yet. I think Saban wanted Cam Rob to run with the 1st team so he could get some reps and see how it goes. Brandon Greene was leading the reps during practice all spring. If Brandon shows he is more consistent and makes less errors by the time games start, you have to start your best player at present. Cyrus got reps as a true freshman during the season. I don't know about the rest of the OL. We'll see if D. Jackson is as good as everyone thinks he is. If he beats out an incumbant, then so be it. Everyone though Leon Brown would start last year also. We have a huge logjam at OL with all of the new 2014 arrivals. I just hope we aren't playing musical chairs still by the time UF gets here.

I like Eddie Jackson to still occupy 1 CB position. If Bradley Sylve doesn't win the other one, he could become the John Fulton. I have a feeling Tony Brown might eventually take the 2nd CB spot if the play is shaky. Maurice Smith didn't look bad in the A-day game. Got turned around once and beat by Ardarius Stewart. My question is who will play the star if Jarrick Williams gets hurt? Maybe bring Geno down and bring in Nick Perry?

I'm not throwing K. Drake under the bus yet. Maybe it was a little more innocent than we think.

I think Kiffin plays with a fullback for the most part. I wonder who will be 2nd string behin J. Fowler? Freitag, Faciane.

I expect Trey Depriest, Foster, Devall, and Lee to start at LB. Dickson and Devall are nearly interchangeable. Foster and Ragland are interchangeable also. If Foster makes mistakes, we'll see Ragland pretty quickly. I won't be surprised to see Christian Miller come in and push Dillon Lee if Lee doesn't play under control.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My bad. I left out Robinson by accident. I'll edit the post. 3 WRs or RB posting 1000 is unlikely, but I can see a situation we'll break school records this season. Kiffin have good track records with QBs and the offense. Let's take a look at this: Kiffin had a QB who threw for 3,000, and two 1,000 yard rushers, and a receiver who had 1,000 and second one close to 1,000 as well. We have more targets to throw around, so it probably will be unlikely to accomplish that given all the talents we have on the offense. I agree Brandon Greene took the lead the whole spring, but did Robinson improved a lot in the spring to end up starting at A day? Coach doesn't do that just to give him more reps... but I could be wrong. Coach will start the best players, no matter what class they are. I don't think we have logjam at OL. The OL freshmen will most likely redshirt and we'll definitely will see them next year.
Good observation on CB position. What happens when Jackson comes back? Remember Chris black, he was projected to start, and he got hurt, and now he finds himself down in depth.. and that could be the same situation with Jackson this year. Star position, I think it would be Hootie Jones backing him up. Am I wrong?

I think we'll use fullback formations, but not all the time. Kiffin can use Fowler as fullback and tight end at times... They could get very creative... especially in goal line situation.
-- Jarran Reed
-- Dalvin Tomlinson
-- Jonathan Allen
-- Da'Shawn Hand
--Brandon Ivory
-- Dee Liner
-- Anthony Orr
-- Darren Lake
-- Dakota Ball
-- Wilson Love

No A'shawn Robinson? I assume he is in there.

Seriously doubt you'll see 3 WR or 3RB's with over 1000 yds. Especially with a new QB coming in who hasn't had the opportunity to play in this system or develop chemistry with the players in a game. I wish I had the OP's confidence.
I expect some ugly wins early on. About like VT last year. Our OL needs time to gel.

BTW, I wouldn't dismiss Brandon Greene from the LT position just yet. I think Saban wanted Cam Rob to run with the 1st team so he could get some reps and see how it goes. Brandon Greene was leading the reps during practice all spring. If Brandon shows he is more consistent and makes less errors by the time games start, you have to start your best player at present. Cyrus got reps as a true freshman during the season. I don't know about the rest of the OL. We'll see if D. Jackson is as good as everyone thinks he is. If he beats out an incumbant, then so be it. Everyone though Leon Brown would start last year also. We have a huge logjam at OL with all of the new 2014 arrivals. I just hope we aren't playing musical chairs still by the time UF gets here.
I like Eddie Jackson to still occupy 1 CB position. If Bradley Sylve doesn't win the other one, he could become the John Fulton. I have a feeling Tony Brown might eventually take the 2nd CB spot if the play is shaky. Maurice Smith didn't look bad in the A-day game. Got turned around once and beat by Ardarius Stewart. My question is who will play the star if Jarrick Williams gets hurt? Maybe bring Geno down and bring in Nick Perry?
I'm not throwing K. Drake under the bus yet. Maybe it was a little more innocent than we think.
I think Kiffin plays with a fullback for the most part. I wonder who will be 2nd string behin J. Fowler? Freitag, Faciane.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Foster/Ragland has been practicing with Depriest all spring long. Foster's history with stinger is a concern for me, thats why I put Ragland ahead of Foster right now, because I don't think he is 100 percent healthy at the momenet.

I expect Trey Depriest, Foster, Devall, and Lee to start at LB. Dickson and Devall are nearly interchangeable. Foster and Ragland are interchangeable also. If Foster makes mistakes, we'll see Ragland pretty quickly. I won't be surprised to see Christian Miller come in and push Dillon Lee if Lee doesn't play under control.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
A few minor points: Wilson Love will not on the roster and unlikely to return. Didn't I read that he is out for medical reasons?

Why no mention of Korren Kirven on the def line? Is there some issue with him?

Has Montel McBride cleared for admission yet? Also - I think someone else already said this - but don't sleep on B Greene seeing the field on the Off Line on a regular basis.

I hope we see OJ Howard split off the line to take advantage of the matchup. Maybe Faciane, Vogler, and T Smith see more of the traditional blocking/receiving combo role.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
CB: I seriously doubt Jackson will be ready to go in time to win a job. He'll be cleared but he won't be anywhere near a hundred percent. I see Brown earning a spot. Here's why: he's a smart guy who finished high school with a bunch of college credits; he graduated early and he'll have a considerable time to learn the playbook; he's a go-getter and he'll be itching to see the field; and he may be the most talented corner we've signed under CNS, except perhaps Humphrey. I'm hoping Sylve or Cyrus Jones can be a solid number two, and the other can provide solid depth along with Maurice Smith.

S: I think I remember someone saying Geno Smith was practicing with the safeties. I think he could come in and lock down the number two spot. He's got considerable coverage ability and if I recall he's a real sharp kid. Jarrick Williams will provide good depth. Not sure about the guys behind him.

DL: Will be a strength of the team. The only question I have is how many reps Ivory gets and do Frazier, Lake, or Reed push him for PT. If not, Reed will probably play somewhere else. I except a stellar year from Robinson and solid contributions from Pettway, Tomlinson, Allen, Liner, and Reed.

LB: I'm hoping Foster can stay healthy and stay in the rotation. I still expect Ragland to get more reps, though, because he's pretty darn good and he knows the playbook. I expect Lee to play a lot behind Devall as well.

Jack: here's the big question I see: with a bevy of talented pass rushers behind him (Anderson, Williams, Evans, and Miller) can Dickson keep his starting job? As our primary pass rusher, will he be good enough, will he be an effective option? I expect the other guys to get a lot of reps (Anderson and Williams), the question is, how many?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wilson Love is not on roster. Korren Kirven is on the roster, but I don't see how he'll able to get playing time. Montel McBride is most likely redshirted. I left him out because I wasn't sure if he's going to play this year or not..
A few minor points: Wilson Love will not on the roster and unlikely to return. Didn't I read that he is out for medical reasons?

Why no mention of Korren Kirven on the def line? Is there some issue with him?

Has Montel McBride cleared for admission yet? Also - I think someone else already said this - but don't sleep on B Greene seeing the field on the Off Line on a regular basis.

I hope we see OJ Howard split off the line to take advantage of the matchup. Maybe Faciane, Vogler, and T Smith see more of the traditional blocking/receiving combo role.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I have few opinions on who wins the position battles I'm just glad to know that we have so much talent at virtually every position. If I were a coach of this team I couldn't help smiling a little -- privately of course.

I will say that since I've been following Bama football we have the deepest, most talented, athletic and fastest group of receivers we've ever had on one Bama team. Almost ditto for the D linemen.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Robinson will get more reps than anyone else on the DL. He led the DL in sacks and TFL last year so he should be clear #1 for who will play the most. Reed will likely follow as these two are the only ones ideally suited for both the DE in the 3 man front and DT in the 4 man front. Lake might get there, then Ivory, but for whatever reason Ivory hasn't been quite at that level yet and we might even see him slide behind Lake as the NG. Hopefully Tomlinson will stay healthy, and if so then he'd be behind all these guys along with Kirven. From there I don't see too many more of the big body guys getting reps other than mop up unless we have injury issues.

Another DL you need to account for is Pettway. for the edge rush guys, it's likely going to be him and Allen getting the most reps as DEs in the 4 man front, with some spot duty from others like Hand. Don't forget that in the past we have usually dropped the JLB to a 3 point stance as the other DE in this alignment so Dickson/Devall will likely get those reps.

Even before Foster dinged himself up, Ragland had pulled ahead of him a bit. Foster still has to learn to play with a little more discipline; the way he tackles and gets himself hurt is just a symptom of that. I think both are in contention for the spot, but Ragland has a slight edge right now.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
CB: I seriously doubt Jackson will be ready to go in time to win a job. He'll be cleared but he won't be anywhere near a hundred percent. I see Brown earning a spot. Here's why: he's a smart guy who finished high school with a bunch of college credits; he graduated early and he'll have a considerable time to learn the playbook; he's a go-getter and he'll be itching to see the field; and he may be the most talented corner we've signed under CNS, except perhaps Humphrey. I'm hoping Sylve or Cyrus Jones can be a solid number two, and the other can provide solid depth along with Maurice Smith.

S: I think I remember someone saying Geno Smith was practicing with the safeties. I think he could come in and lock down the number two spot. He's got considerable coverage ability and if I recall he's a real sharp kid. Jarrick Williams will provide good depth. Not sure about the guys behind him.

DL: Will be a strength of the team. The only question I have is how many reps Ivory gets and do Frazier, Lake, or Reed push him for PT. If not, Reed will probably play somewhere else. I except a stellar year from Robinson and solid contributions from Pettway, Tomlinson, Allen, Liner, and Reed.

LB: I'm hoping Foster can stay healthy and stay in the rotation. I still expect Ragland to get more reps, though, because he's pretty darn good and he knows the playbook. I expect Lee to play a lot behind Devall as well.

Jack: here's the big question I see: with a bevy of talented pass rushers behind him (Anderson, Williams, Evans, and Miller) can Dickson keep his starting job? As our primary pass rusher, will he be good enough, will he be an effective option? I expect the other guys to get a lot of reps (Anderson and Williams), the question is, how many?
Not only is Geno Smith a safety, He and Collins were the starters at A-day.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Wilson Love is not on roster. Korren Kirven is on the roster, but I don't see how he'll able to get playing time. Montel McBride is most likely redshirted. I left him out because I wasn't sure if he's going to play this year or not..
The player's name is Kevin Korren, not Korren Kirven and why don't you think he won't get any playing time? Also Montel McBride may be most likely a JUCO.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I have few opinions on who wins the position battles I'm just glad to know that we have so much talent at virtually every position. If I were a coach of this team I couldn't help smiling a little -- privately of course.

I will say that since I've been following Bama football we have the deepest, most talented, athletic and fastest group of receivers we've ever had on one Bama team. Almost ditto for the D linemen.
That group of WRs is incredible. I cannot imagine we will not see several VERY talented guys transfer because of that traffic jam of talent. Stewart impressed me.

Wish we could trade a few WRs for some OL and CB help.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The running backs are going to be Yeldon and Henry with Drake and Tennpenney fading in the back stretch.
Henry's the best we have, but T.J. will get the nod at starter because he's produced well, even with the fumbles. I have no problem with that.
But if the turnovers continue, Henry will eventually take his place.
You don't sit a Bo Jackson type talent so the other guys can figure it out, and, right or wrong, I look at Henry and see a Bo type talent. You can't catch him and he'll run over you. Take your pick.
Either way, he's something special.
sip

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.