Link: Four Critical Questions that will Determine the 2014 CFB Playoff

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click here

This doesn't make me feel any better about the playoff selection process.

How do you determine strength of schedule?

“I think a lot of it is your intent to play a strong schedule in your non-conference,” said Wisconsin AD and committee member Barry Alvarez. “… It’s pretty easy for me to take a look at a schedule and see what the intent of the schedule is.”

That’s one approach. Some of his colleagues may have another.

“We just have to say, ‘Listen, it doesn’t matter how they got on your schedule -- it’s on the schedule,’” said committee member Oliver Luck, West Virginia’s AD. “It is what it is. We have to take ‘em as they come. …

“The other thing that gets a little overlooked: some teams are playing six home games, others are playing eight. That’s something we have to factor in.”

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Nope.

And I'd like to know what fans thought this was going to be less subjective than the BCS? Going from over a 100 human voters and 6 computer ratings systems to 13 academics was never going to make this less​ subjective.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I read the article and did not come away with anything that makes me feel any better about this selection committee. No computer rankings and just 13 opinions does not sit well with me.

i26bamafan

All-American
Oct 30, 1999
Summerville,SC
yahoo.com
Just for all to know. Condi Rice (past Secretary of State), who I worked for 2 years
when I did State Department work is on the 13 and she is a die hard B A M A fan.

So, she will not let things get out of hand.....

Ron

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Somebody needs to point out to Alvarez that it isn't enough to PLAY a tough nonconference schedule.

You have to WIN the games.

Besides - this is only going to make a huge difference if those slackers at Arkansas or Kentucky make it. The rest of the SEC does a pretty good job.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
"The committee was instructed to use the conference champion as a de facto tie breaker with two similar teams". So if this was in affect in 2011 Alabama does not make the final four?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I read the article and did not come away with anything that makes me feel any better about this selection committee. No computer rankings and just 13 opinions does not sit well with me.
Put simply, it's a joke. We can only hope that the four best teams are really clear so this ridiculous committee doesn't screw it up.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Nope.

And I'd like to know what fans thought this was going to be less subjective than the BCS? Going from over a 100 human voters and 6 computer ratings systems to 13 academics was never going to make this less​ subjective.
I don't know of any fans who ever supported the committee idea. Plenty support the playoff format.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nope.

Yes, because everyone knows having MORE humans makes a process LESS subjective (face palm)

To be fair - I know what you're saying, but it's the computers that presumably offset the human bias.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Just for all to know. Condi Rice (past Secretary of State), who I worked for 2 years
when I did State Department work is on the 13 and she is a die hard B A M A fan.

So, she will not let things get out of hand.....

Ron
If Rice is a Bama homer, and I imagine you are correct...but aren't they supposed to be impartial...

How many homers are there out of 13 people pulling for a different personal favorite?

From the quote from the Wisconsin AD, looks like he's already testing excuses to dis the SEC teams.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"The committee was instructed to use the conference champion as a de facto tie breaker with two similar teams". So if this was in affect in 2011 Alabama does not make the final four?
Who would we have lost to?

Here (yet again) are the final regular season BCS standings:

1) LSU - Nobody argues they're in
2) Alabama
3) Okie State - okay, they're in
4) Stanford
5) Oregon (two losses - to LSU and USC) - Pac 12 champions
6) Arkansas - lost to both LSU and Alabama by 24 points
7) Boise St
8) Kansas St - two losses, to Okie St and OU
9) South Carolina - two losses, did not win division
10) Wisconsin - two losses but won Big Ten
11) Va Tech - two losses, did not win conference

So in a FOUR-TEAM playoff you have FOR SURE:
LSU and Okie State

You now get to pick the other two from:
Alabama - not a conference champ (one loss)
Stanford - not a conference champ (one loss)
Oregon - conf champ, TWO losses, but drilled Stanford and LOST to LSU by FOUR TIMES as many points as Alabama did
Boise St - (seriously?)

These are the only SERIOUS contenders for two spots.

If you go SOS, Boise is out and Alabama is IN - and now you have to decide between two-loss Oregon and one-loss Stanford, whose one loss was to Oregon AT HOME by 23 points.

What's amusing to me is that all the crying was about Alabama and yet if we had had a FOUR-TEAM playoff there would have been just as much screaming no matter whether Oregon or Stanford was picked. And here's the deal - since Oregon: a) PLAYED AN EXTRA GAME AGAINST LSU AT A NEUTRAL SITE; b) beat Stanford head-to-head; and c) won the conference........this would be one time when it would be TOTALLY RATIONAL to pick a two-loss team over a one-loss team.

How can you punish Oregon for playing an extra game against LSU, particularly when the final score was not all that bad (although I realize Oregon never had a chance to win)?

None of the other teams in that list eliminate Alabama, since not only did they not win their divsions/conferences, they had TWO losses.

But then again I'm being as unbiased as I can be.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, seems I forgot to talk about Wisconsin.

They won the Big Ten, so I'm sure Delaney sets himself on fire.

So maybe you're right.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If Rice is a Bama homer, and I imagine you are correct...but aren't they supposed to be impartial...

How many homers are there out of 13 people pulling for a different personal favorite?

From the quote from the Wisconsin AD, looks like he's already testing excuses to dis the SEC teams.

Fiercely competitive person, who still actively leads an ultra-competitive football program, spending millions of dollars trying to get to a 4 team invitational. Lord help his bias, if his, "dog in the fight" manages to get past LSU.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
said Wisconsin AD and committee member Barry Alvarez. “… It’s pretty easy for me to take a look at a schedule and see what the intent of the schedule is.”
By this he means that Wisc intended to beat LSU so they should get in. :rolleyes:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.