The gods of sports are cruel... (World Cup: Germany vs Brazil)

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Re: The gods of sports are cruel...

This game was the equivalent of Alabama playing for the national title in Bryant Denny and being behind 40-0 at halftime. Truly looks of horror on the Brazilian fans faces.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Probably the only time Ipswich beat Man U. (Not to be confused "Notlob". Obtuse Monty Python reference.)
They beat them 3-0 to open the 1978-79 season. I think they beat them in 1982.

And I know that Manchester United won, 2-1, on January 14, 1978 (seriously - look it up). That game was played on the ITV's "Match of the Week" the following Sunday (January 22), which was the only soccer (e.g. football over there) we got other than the two edited versions of "Match of the Day" at 10 pm Saturday night.

Seriously - they had a huge pregame build-up to the day in soccer and then DID NOT TELEVISE any of them when I lived there. Imagine watching "NFL Today" and then them saying they'd be back in three hours to go over the results of the days games (or as they said there, "final scores of today's football fixtures").

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I think they beat them in 1982.
Think? We demand better!

Seriously - they had a huge pregame build-up to the day in soccer and then DID NOT TELEVISE any of them when I lived there. Imagine watching "NFL Today" and then them saying they'd be back in three hours to go over the results of the days games (or as they said there, "final scores of today's football fixtures").
That is the Beeb for you. I have lots of bidnis associates who are from there, so I hear all their stories.

Including their hatred of Man U and Arsenal.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

A well deserved heaping spoonful of humility and an entire humble pie for the Brazilians. Refreshing.

I expect Holland to win tomorrow's game in a much better match, not that it will take much for that to be true, but I don't think either team can play level with this German side.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Well, since you're going to reply seriously to a joke, in the 1930s and 1940s Brazil was home to the largest population of Germans outside of Germany.
Haha didn't know that bit of info...if Argentina wins, I'll have a joke or two on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I was pulling for Germany since my great, great grandpappy came from Germany. Brazil should take tomorrow off also.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Probably the only time Ipswich beat Man U. (Not to be confused "Notlob". Obtuse Monty Python reference.)
I even know that in 1978 some of the players had names like Brian and Jimmy Greenhoff, Paddy Roche (the goalie), Gordon McQueen, Martin Buchan, and Lou Macari.

Nottingham Forest won both the league and the League Cup (beating Liverpool in a replay), Ipswich won the FA Cup (which was about like the Mets winning the World Series), and Liverpool won the European Cup. I think Man Utd finished something like 8th or so that year while Ipswich was like fifth from the bottom (Queens Park Rangers, Leicester, and Newcastle Utd were relegated).

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'd have to wonder. If the US soccer team were to lose that bad, would we be as devastated or forget about it quicker since college and NFL starts next month.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I even know that in 1978 some of the players had names like Brian and Jimmy Greenhoff, Paddy Roche (the goalie), Gordon McQueen, Martin Buchan, and Lou Macari.

Nottingham Forest won both the league and the League Cup (beating Liverpool in a replay), Ipswich won the FA Cup (which was about like the Mets winning the World Series), and Liverpool won the European Cup. I think Man Utd finished something like 8th or so that year while Ipswich was like fifth from the bottom (Queens Park Rangers, Leicester, and Newcastle Utd were relegated).

love that Man U song...

we hate Nottingham Forest
we hate Liverpool, too....

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

it's Karma, well earned for spending a reported $14 Billion while such a large part of their population starves in ramshackle shanty towns

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

Eu só queria dar alegria pro meu povo que sofre tanto por tanta coisa, queria pedir desculpa.
— David Luiz
I just wanted to give joy to my people who suffer so much for so many things. I'd like to apologize.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Score it like American football, including the auto PAT, it's 49-7. I was in the little town of Ulvik, Norway, when Germany played Netherlands in the WC. There were lotsa German tourists. Germany won 2-1 and the Germans paraded down its main street, with a huge black, gold and red banner with the score on it and singing "Deutschland über Alles," including the forbidden verse...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Wow" is right. Ulvik housed a garrison of "Volksdeutsch," German speakers, in this case of Romanian origin, during WWII. When they left, they burned the entire village, with the exception of the church. 1974 wasn't that far distanced from 1944 at the time, same as now and 1984. The town was set up mostly as a resort town for British. All menus, etc., were in English and Norwegian. The dollar had crashed in 1972 (I got stuck in Switzerland then) and Norway had become too expensive for them (really for us also). As a result, there was a flood of German tourists in town, with suddenly very valuable Deutschmarks, to fill the vacuum. As you might assume, the townspeople weren't so friendly to Germans. I ended up being a involuntary translator for Germans, since the Norwegians pretended not to understand it.

Oddly enough, revisiting with my wife in 2007, the country is even more bilingual. All traffic signs are even in English and Norwegian. I only needed my Norwegian a few times, but, when I did, it was handy indeed. Also, I ended up being importuned for a translator. Germans would look at me, decide I was German and ask me questions like "Which floor is breakfast on?" I just answered in German. They never knew they had an American translator, both from the English and the Norwegian...

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

it's Karma, well earned for spending a reported $14 Billion while such a large part of their population starves in ramshackle shanty towns
I'd imagine a riot or two is in order...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.