The gods of sports are cruel... (World Cup: Germany vs Brazil)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: The gods of sports are cruel...

it's Karma, well earned for spending a reported $14 Billion while such a large part of their population starves in ramshackle shanty towns
and we get to watch them try to pull off the olympics in 2 more years :)

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

They beat them 3-0 to open the 1978-79 season. I think they beat them in 1982.

And I know that Manchester United won, 2-1, on January 14, 1978 (seriously - look it up). That game was played on the ITV's "Match of the Week" the following Sunday (January 22), which was the only soccer (e.g. football over there) we got other than the two edited versions of "Match of the Day" at 10 pm Saturday night.

Seriously - they had a huge pregame build-up to the day in soccer and then DID NOT TELEVISE any of them when I lived there. Imagine watching "NFL Today" and then them saying they'd be back in three hours to go over the results of the days games (or as they said there, "final scores of today's football fixtures").
Ah, Jimmy Hill memories come flooding back, not to mention that most unlikely, quirky theme music ...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Prior to the game, my son in law asked me if I thought Neymar would be missed. I said he would but that Brazil would miss Thiago Silver much more. I have never seen such loose marking at any level of soccer from U8s on up. Brazil was giving the German players 5 yards of space all around them and were never under pressure. They could pass from one to the other with no problem and were just lining up to shoot and score. The most embarrassing international loss I have ever seen -- somewhat akin to Man City whooping Man United 6 - 1 at Old Trafford a couple of years ago. The ditraught of the United fans that day was mirrored by those of the Brazilian fans yesterday.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

an interesting Imgur post showing all the Brazilian newspaper headlines from today with translations

http://imgur.com/a/Hs88z

My favorite:

Translation (slightly edited from that site's by a Portuguese speaking coworker):

THERE WILL BE NO COVER
(A play on the phrase "Não vai ter Copa", i.e. "There will be no Cup", used in protests before the tournament.)

Today we can't joke about it,
we are/were embarrassed.
We'll return tomorrow*

*While you were reading this... Germany scored another goal

:biggrin:

That pretty much sums up Brazil's demeanor today.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I wish LSU Freek could make a video with T'eo's face imposed on the Brazilian Goalie -- and images of AJ, Lacy, etc on the faces of the German futbollers --

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.