Calvin Ridley's one handed catch at the Opening

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Thoughts/opinions as to whether or not we hold onto to him? Has indicated his intentions to take all 5 visits with one as an official to FSU. If true, I would assume the staff considers him "uncommitted" and will continue to recruit him as aggressively as if he were totally undecided.
I believe he is solid and it helps we have a commit from his Top 100, 4-star teammate Shawn Burgess-Becker. Calvin appears to be Amari good.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I know i may get flamed, but........

Awesome catch for the highlight reels and for this type of event and to show his athleticism and hand-eye coordination. But i would think (and hope) that in a Bama practice session, this would be pointed out by coaches as horrible technique. In a game situation, you would never want to risk dropping a ball using a showboating type catch like this unless you have to - like if you're off balance or if the defender has one of your arms pinned down or entangled. Always catch the ball with 2 hands when you can - and he was wide open in this situation and should have used 2 hands. Now back to the ESPN "Plays of the day".

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

Awesome catch for the highlight reels and for this type of event and to show his athleticism and hand-eye coordination. But i would think (and hope) that in a Bama practice session, this would be pointed out by coaches as horrible technique. In a game situation, you would never want to risk dropping a ball using a showboating type catch like this unless you have to - like if you're off balance or if the defender has one of your arms pinned down or entangled. Always catch the ball with 2 hands when you can - and he was wide open in this situation and should have used 2 hands. Now back to the ESPN "Plays of the day".
He was definitely showing his ability. Those players are some of the best and it's almost a competition of "can you do this"? He took the opportunity to show who the alpha dog receiver is.;)

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I won't flame. But I will just say that it might have been horrible technique, but if the situation ever occurs when one hand is unavailable he'll be prepared. Sounds like this catch wasn't a flash. Sounds like Ridley's been a standout so far.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I agree you use both hands when you can but from the approach angle it'd have been difficult. He likely would have been caught from behind if he had caught the ball at all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Only way he makes that catch with two hands is to leave his feet and turn 180 degrees, clockwise in the air. That would have been an awesome, but not easy catch, but of course he'd landed on his butt/back.

Either way (the way he did it) or any other catch would have been pretty amazing on that ball that was high and over the wrong shoulder.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.