This is what happened when I drove my Mercedes to pick up food stamps

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
i dont think that graph is the best way to show these data. it appears that a lot of the growth in this graph is coming from social security and medicare which are going to be growing a lot due to an aging population.

i would separate out ss & medicare, medicaid and other social benefits, then veterans benefits and analyze each individually.
It shows that even if you eliminate welfare fraud, we're still spending money hand over fist for several categories of entitlements that are just as colossal.
There is no possible way that this level of entitlement is sustainable, no matter how much we "care"

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't believe any of the states that she mentioned in the article have a weeks into term restriction for abortion. And I'm making an assumption, but given the fact that she writes for the Huffington Post she is pro choice. Therefore, the moral, emotional, and mental would all be net positives for her.

Lets fast forward a few years, say her immigrant house keeper or nanny (who is deeply and emphatically Christian) is in her same situation, Ms Cunha would have no problem recommending abortion as the solution. So if we are going to live in an America where abortion is safe and legal, then everyone should be putting their name in the lottery.
I think she made her choice, so are you pro-choice or just grandstanding?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It shows that even if you eliminate welfare fraud, we're still spending money hand over fist for several categories of entitlements that are just as colossal.
There is no possible way that this level of entitlement is sustainable, no matter how much we "care"
That is my concern. When the gravy track collapses, the US won't be able to take care of the truly needy.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
SS and Medicare become illegitimate "entitlements" to me when they no longer make deductions for these from my paycheck. Until that point and time, since I pay into it, I am legitimately "entitled" (as is everyone else who pays into it) to the benefits when I become eligible. Yeah, I have this weird way of thinking that I am "entitled" to my own money. The fact the government has taken my contribution (and everyone else's) and spent it on other things is, well, can't say it on here; it's still at least partly "mine" and when I am entitled I plan on getting what I have coming - one way or another.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I'm not sure why a bad economy (SSA's excuse for why the number of people on disability has exploded) has anything to do with the number of people who are really disabled. Were these people disabled by the bad economy? I mean, did the economy fall on them, breaking their legs?
The Economy carries a big stick and busts kneecaps like a mobster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
SS and Medicare become illegitimate "entitlements" to me when they no longer make deductions for these from my paycheck. Until that point and time, since I pay into it, I am legitimately "entitled" (as is everyone else who pays into it) to the benefits when I become eligible. Yeah, I have this weird way of thinking that I am "entitled" to my own money. The fact the government has taken my contribution (and everyone else's) and spent it on other things is, well, can't say it on here; it's still at least partly "mine" and when I am entitled I plan on getting what I have coming - one way or another.
Until it fails completely and there is nothing for you or anyone else.
At this point, it seems to be throwing good money after bad.
I hope you are saving for yourself instead of relying on what may never come.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Until it fails completely and there is nothing for you or anyone else.
At this point, it seems to be throwing good money after bad.
I hope you are saving for yourself instead of relying on what may never come.
I am actually "pretty dang close" to the time when I can apply for "what may never come"; doesn't mean I will quit working but it won't be that bad. I worry more about those 15-20 years down the road. I don't know if I will still be alive by then (odds ain't good), but if I am and they say there is no more, somebody besides me will die. Pretty simple, actually. My life will be just about over anyway. No problem taking some idiot (or three or 10 or 20) with me.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
For me, I would say my views on welfare have moderated a bit since I began teaching. I came from a family where both parents had professional jobs, paid for everything through my master's degree, and so I did still have the opinion that most/all of those on welfare are gaming the system. Since I've started teaching, and have been unemployed once (and facing it again if I can't secure a teaching job b/w now and August), my views have changed. Are there people that game the system? Absolutely, especially some of those whose students I taught this past year in Huntsville. I was at a Title I school, and most, if not all, of my students were declared to be free/reduced lunch students. However, most of them had the $200-300 LeBron James/Jordan/Durant shoes, new cellphones, etc. Some were definitely homeless, and/or needed legitimate help due to the student's individual circumstances. I've gone a year unemployed from teaching without taking in unemployment benefits, and would like to keep it that way. I've been applying everywhere, and expanded my commute radius to two hours. I'm hoping something will work out.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
CT

What grade do you teach? Have you checked Brindley Mountain in Arab or do you teach higher grade levels? May have a contact for you if you can PM me. My son-in-laws mom worked for the school district for years.

He posts here sometimes, not sure of his screen name though but will find out if you are interested.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Having said all that has been said, welfare, etc. has no Constitutional basis. I don't recall anyone having the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and, heck if it doesn't work out, a crap load of free benefits at the taxpayers' expense. It's one of those states rights issues, not a federal one. Amend the Constitution or cancel the program (like many, many others needs to be cancelled due to being unconstitutional).

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
For me, I would say my views on welfare have moderated a bit since I began teaching. I came from a family where both parents had professional jobs, paid for everything through my master's degree, and so I did still have the opinion that most/all of those on welfare are gaming the system. Since I've started teaching, and have been unemployed once (and facing it again if I can't secure a teaching job b/w now and August), my views have changed. Are there people that game the system? Absolutely, especially some of those whose students I taught this past year in Huntsville. I was at a Title I school, and most, if not all, of my students were declared to be free/reduced lunch students. However, most of them had the $200-300 LeBron James/Jordan/Durant shoes, new cellphones, etc. Some were definitely homeless, and/or needed legitimate help due to the student's individual circumstances. I've gone a year unemployed from teaching without taking in unemployment benefits, and would like to keep it that way. I've been applying everywhere, and expanded my commute radius to two hours. I'm hoping something will work out.
Hope you find work soon but if you don't, take whatever assistance you need; that is what it is there for. Now, not to downplay the bold above, but my son's mother once took my monthly CS check and bought him (at age 10) four pair of Converse High Tops, all different colors, because he couldn't decide which color he liked. That was well over half of the support check. No one has the market cornered on idiocy. Some people just don't care.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Having said all that has been said, welfare, etc. has no Constitutional basis. I don't recall anyone having the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and, heck if it doesn't work out, a crap load of free benefits at the taxpayers' expense. It's one of those states rights issues, not a federal one. Amend the Constitution or cancel the program (like many, many others needs to be cancelled due to being unconstitutional).
the constitution allows congress to pass laws.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
While I feel the general welfare clause has been used to allow much greater federal power than the founding fathers ever intended, the reality is this is just the sort of thing i believe the GW clause exists for - not a specifically enumerated power of the federal government, but one that helps every one of us, even those who are lucky enough to never have to rely on it...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yes they can. But they have specific guidelines they must adhere to. Please let me know where welfare or public housing fall into these.

This is Article 1, Section 8 just in case you were wondering.

1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

2: To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

3: To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

4: To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

5: To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

6: To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

7: To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

8: To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

9: To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

10: To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

11: To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

12: To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

13: To provide and maintain a Navy;

14: To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

15: To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

16: To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

17: To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

18: To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
While I feel the general welfare clause has been used to allow much greater federal power than the founding fathers ever intended, the reality is this is just the sort of thing i believe the GW clause exists for - not a specifically enumerated power of the federal government, but one that helps every one of us, even those who are lucky enough to never have to rely on it...
It's been bastardized.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yes they can. But they have specific guidelines they must adhere to. Please let me know where welfare or public housing fall into these.

This is Article 1, Section 8 just in case you were wondering.

1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

2: To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

3: To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

4: To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

5: To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

6: To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

7: To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

8: To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

9: To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

10: To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

11: To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

12: To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

13: To provide and maintain a Navy;

14: To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

15: To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

16: To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

17: To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

18: To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
i am not going to go through this again. we have this discussion every time someone tries to say stuff they dont like is unconstitutional.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.