This is what happened when I drove my Mercedes to pick up food stamps

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is a good place to insert where I stand on government intervention in private lives, particularly bedrooms, marriage and women's bodies. You can call it socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Or you can call it libertarian. I don't care. I reject labels as a substitute for thinking, which is what goes on around here too often.

As people who know me well know, I'm a deeply religious person, sang two solos in church last Sunday. However, this "two cells uniting and then dividing" defines life is a neologism, strictly with no standing in science and in protestant religion only recently. (Under that definition, cancer is "new life.") I tend to go with the Old Testament Jewish definition - when the fetus can survive outside the body independently, then there's "life." All else is religion trying to reach into the bedroom and a person's private body. It has no roots other than (misguided, IMO) religion. Maybe most want that much intrusive government. I just happen to reject it. I don't think with labels and I don't let others think for me. So flame away. I won't be reading, anyway...
I'm not responding to you expecting a response in turn.. as you've said you won't be reading anyway. I'm also not flaming you.

I don't know when "life" begins exactly. I don't regard the sperm and egg as sacrosanct, and once the two unite and begin to divide into cells, I still don't believe life is present. The beginnings of it are, however. Still.. I'm not calling that a human being. However, I do very strongly believe life begins inside the womb. I really don't care what the Old Testament Jews had to say, and I'm not getting my belief from any protestant religion. The fetus, baby, whatever, cannot survive outside the womb independently no more than it can inside it. Leave it there and it will die. I give no credence to the argument because a child requires attention from another human being for many years before it can survive in any way.

Again.. I don't know when it begins. I do know it begins before birth. I'm not trying to change laws but I do find most abortions to be abhorrent. That is certainly my opinion. And if you do happen to read this, you know I'm not being harsh with you. I respect you a great deal. I'm just responding to the opinion you have which many (perhaps most) share. I also reject that my stance on abortion is me "reaching into another person's private body." If I believe that fetus is a human being, then the mother's body is no longer the only thing in question.

Anyway, just my opinion. I'm not necessarily trying to change anyone's mind but this just strikes a very sensitive nerve with me. I understand very well the problems we have in this country with children being born into situations where the parents aren't prepared or aren't present. I know the economic disaster it causes. I just believe there are better alternatives than abortion.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
To CT's point about kids on free and reduced lunch - and I taught for five years - I think this is what happens..

Kid's parents get divorced. Kid lives with Mom. Mom qualifies for free/reduced lunch. Dad makes a good living doing whatever but since he's self-employed, blue collar - he deals in cash a lot. So parents appear poor legally but run a cash and carry operation that allows the kid to have a nice cell phone, lots of clothes from Abercrombie, Hollister, whatever, car, etc. But somehow the kid is on the government dole for lunch.

Of course I also once knew a principal who started having SSI checks revoked due to kids' truancy. That sure change Mom's attitude...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
To CT's point about kids on free and reduced lunch - and I taught for five years - I think this is what happens..

Kid's parents get divorced. Kid lives with Mom. Mom qualifies for free/reduced lunch. Dad makes a good living doing whatever but since he's self-employed, blue collar - he deals in cash a lot. So parents appear poor legally but run a cash and carry operation that allows the kid to have a nice cell phone, lots of clothes from Abercrombie, Hollister, whatever, car, etc. But somehow the kid is on the government dole for lunch.

Of course I also once knew a principal who started having SSI checks revoked due to kids' truancy. That sure change Mom's attitude...
I'm willing to consider that there are perfectly, legitimate reasons why some things don't appear to be so. It still bothered me, however. I'm okay with welfare if it's not abused. There are a lot of circumstances why people would need it, and the "good" people will only use the program as needed. My wife and I have also been intentional about building a rainy day fund for situations like unemployment, and for as long as we're employed, we will continue to build it until we reach about a year's worth. But, unfortunately, some people haven't learned or will not save their money because they believe they are invincible from situations like what the original article stated.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
While I feel the general welfare clause has been used to allow much greater federal power than the founding fathers ever intended, the reality is this is just the sort of thing i believe the GW clause exists for - not a specifically enumerated power of the federal government, but one that helps every one of us, even those who are lucky enough to never have to rely on it...
Properly construed and in my opinion only, the general welfare clause is a qualification of the tax and spend authority. The Constitution does not enumerate a federal power to do anything it wishes for the general welfare. A straightforward, unadulterated reading of the Constitution makes this clear.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'm not responding to you expecting a response in turn.. as you've said you won't be reading anyway. I'm also not flaming you.

I don't know when "life" begins exactly. I don't regard the sperm and egg as sacrosanct, and once the two unite and begin to divide into cells, I still don't believe life is present. The beginnings of it are, however. Still.. I'm not calling that a human being. However, I do very strongly believe life begins inside the womb. I really don't care what the Old Testament Jews had to say, and I'm not getting my belief from any protestant religion. The fetus, baby, whatever, cannot survive outside the womb independently no more than it can inside it. Leave it there and it will die. I give no credence to the argument because a child requires attention from another human being for many years before it can survive in any way.

Again.. I don't know when it begins. I do know it begins before birth. I'm not trying to change laws but I do find most abortions to be abhorrent. That is certainly my opinion. And if you do happen to read this, you know I'm not being harsh with you. I respect you a great deal. I'm just responding to the opinion you have which many (perhaps most) share. I also reject that my stance on abortion is me "reaching into another person's private body." If I believe that fetus is a human being, then the mother's body is no longer the only thing in question.

Anyway, just my opinion. I'm not necessarily trying to change anyone's mind but this just strikes a very sensitive nerve with me. I understand very well the problems we have in this country with children being born into situations where the parents aren't prepared or aren't present. I know the economic disaster it causes. I just believe there are better alternatives than abortion.
I very much agree with most of what you've said here. Because there is so much disagreement about the first stages of life (zygote, embryo, fetus), most of us can accept that some reasonably minded people may disagree with us on at what point to begin to value a new life. I will say that a zygote is just as alive as a baby - it is a living cell, it has its own DNA, if left to its natural course it might implant in the womb and be born. At that stage, though, many zygotes/embryos are naturally aborted. Frankly, I recognize it for what it is - alive. I just give it little value. And so the same things that gave Hobby Lobby owners a fit wouldn't bother me. Wait until implantation, or a few weeks or months down the line and it's a different story. Some folks have no problem right up until and even beyond the time of birth the most extreme) with ending this new life. Ask 100 people and you'll get 98 different answers.

So while I agree that this is a difficult issue and that with so many people in disagreement the law should leave some leeway....there comes a point - I believe during the pregnancy - when ending that life should become against the law with certain exceptions.

IOW, life begin at conception (this should be obvious from a scientific standpoint), but when we place VALUE on that life is different for each of us.

By the same token, understanding this concept should help those who don't want their body encroached upon to understand why others may not want their wallet encroached upon in order to pay for things that, to them, are immoral to the nth degree.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I've seen parents drive up to school in Mercedes, Land Rovers, and Lexi and get free lunch. Some folks have no shame. In fact, most don't.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That can't be legally done...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was wondering how a 2-bit unelected public appointee could have so great an effect on a federal program. (no disrespect to princinotmypals, but really?)
He/she couldn't. The test for SSDI is black and white, by and large - disabled or non-disabled. Then it's a matter of right. There are federal grounds for removal - fraud and the like - but, once you're on the rolls, you can't really be kicked off for not conducting your life the way local officials think you should. I suppose if someone local really had it in for you - not just officials - but anyone who wanted to take pix of you lifting heavy loads, etc., they could turn you in for not being disabled. However, I'm not an SSDI lawyer, so there may be some clause in there which makes you liable to lose your SSDI status for misbehavior of your kids. I highly doubt it...

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I'm not sure why a bad economy (SSA's excuse for why the number of people on disability has exploded) has anything to do with the number of people who are really disabled. Were these people disabled by the bad economy? I mean, did the economy fall on them, breaking their legs?
It's fraud pure and simple. However I think the links above show why some people are doing it. Personally, opening SSA up to disability was a horrible way to cover people with true disabilities, much less fraudulent. The whole system needs to be reworked, but the government has been using this as a means to "hide" the unemployed for awhile now. It isn't something that just started happening in the past 6 years, granted the numbers have grown much faster as a result of the tanked economy. This is not me saying, "hey its ok", or "nya nya others did it so its ok", but just trying to point out that the government will use whatever tools are at its disposal to hide things from the populace for as long as they can to keep them dumb, fat, and happy as long as possible. Most politicians don't care about things like this unless it is about to blow up on their watch.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
He/she couldn't. The test for SSDI is black and white, by and large - disabled or non-disabled. Then it's a matter of right. There are federal grounds for removal - fraud and the like - but, once you're on the rolls, you can't really be kicked off for not conducting your life the way local officials think you should. I suppose if someone local really had it in for you - not just officials - but anyone who wanted to take pix of you lifting heavy loads, etc., they could turn you in for not being disabled. However, I'm not an SSDI lawyer, so there may be some clause in there which makes you liable to lose your SSDI status for misbehavior of your kids. I highly doubt it...
I would find it hard that those companies that give a lump sum for disability payments would sign up for something that could conceivably be revoked due to originally intended recipient's behavior. These companies also should not be able to do what they do in my opinion.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
That can't be legally done...
Ahh, there lies the biggest part of the problem - "legally". The subordination of the law in granting these benefits is piggybacked upon the power of the local "grantees"; I have known, for a fact, people who have gotten benefits locally because they knew someone at the office, and have witnessed in the past someone cherry-picking from the application box and selecting specific individuals to "interview". It does happen, and I am pretty sure more often than some people are willing to admit. Unfortunately "legally" doesn't mean much to some.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I agree, but this is as good case of 'the general welfare of the republic' as any I can think of.
This issue was debated during the ratification of the Constitution. The general welfare clause just shows why Congress has the power to tax: "to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States.” Supporters of ratification consistently denied that the "general welfare" clause gave Congress any new power independent of those powers enumerated in Article I, Section 8.

Mr. Lee of Westmoreland said:
I undertake to say that, when it will be necessary to struggle in the cause of freedom, he will find himself equalled by thousands of those who support this Constitution. The purse of the people of Virginia is not given up by that paper: they (Congress) can take no more of our money than is necessary to pay our share of the public debts, and provide for the general welfare. Were it otherwise, no man would be louder against it (the Constitution) than myself.
Gov. Randolph, another advocate of ratification, said of the general welfare clause.
Gov. Randolph said:
“I shall take notice of what the honorable gentleman said with respect to the power to provide for the general welfare. The meaning of this clause has been perverted, to alarm our apprehensions. The whole clause has not been read together. It enables Congress ‘to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises; to pay the debts and provide for the common defence and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts, and excises, shall be uniform throughout the United States.’ The plain and obvious meaning of this is, that no more duties, taxes, imposts, and excises, shall be laid, than are sufficient to pay the debts, and provide for the common defence and general welfare, of the United States.”
Mr. George Nicholas, another advocate of ratification in Virginia endeavored to show the committee that it (the general welfare clause)
George Nicholas said:
only empowered Congress to make such laws as would be necessary to enable them to pay the public debts and provide for the common defence; that this general welfare was united, not to the general power of legislation, but to the particular power of laying and collecting taxes, imposts, and excises, for the purpose of paying the debts and providing for the common defence, – that is, that they could raise as much money as would pay the debts and provide for the common defence, in consequence of this power. The clause which was affectedly called the sweeping clause contained no new grant of power.
Later, Gov. Randolph spoke again.
Gov. Randolph said:
But the rhetoric of the gentleman (Patrick Henry, who opposed ratification because Federal powers would be loosely construed) has highly colored the dangers of giving the general government an indefinite power of providing for the general welfare. I contend that no such power is given. They have power 'to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defence and general welfare of the United States.' Is this an independent, separate, substantive power, to provide for the general welfare of the United States? No, sir. They can lay and collect taxes, &c. For what? To pay the debts and provide for the general welfare. Were not this the case, the following part of the clause would be absurd. It would have been treason against common language. Take it altogether, and let me ask if the plain interpretation be not this -- a power to lay and collect taxes, &c., in order to provide for the general welfare and pay debts.”
Calling Federal assistance "welfare" and asserting therefore that it is permissible under the Constitution is not legitimate, or, at least, it was not what the Founders intended. If Congress were to establish a "faith" (but avoided calling it a "religion") and argued therefore that this is legitimate because the Constitution only prohibits Congress from establishing a religion, then this would be illegitimate as well, and for the same reason. Randolph said that would be "treason against common language."

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
It's fraud pure and simple. However I think the links above show why some people are doing it. Personally, opening SSA up to disability was a horrible way to cover people with true disabilities, much less fraudulent. The whole system needs to be reworked, but the government has been using this as a means to "hide" the unemployed for awhile now. It isn't something that just started happening in the past 6 years, granted the numbers have grown much faster as a result of the tanked economy. This is not me saying, "hey its ok", or "nya nya others did it so its ok", but just trying to point out that the government will use whatever tools are at its disposal to hide things from the populace for as long as they can to keep them dumb, fat, and happy as long as possible. Most politicians don't care about things like this unless it is about to blow up on their watch.
It started with Clinton and Welfare Reform. The Republicans got to feel like they beat Clinton and forced him to reform welfare and Clinton just moved people over to disability. Once on disability you can't be taken off unless someone proves you aren't disabled. It's all a big shell game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ahh, there lies the biggest part of the problem - "legally". The subordination of the law in granting these benefits is piggybacked upon the power of the local "grantees"; I have known, for a fact, people who have gotten benefits locally because they knew someone at the office, and have witnessed in the past someone cherry-picking from the application box and selecting specific individuals to "interview". It does happen, and I am pretty sure more often than some people are willing to admit. Unfortunately "legally" doesn't mean much to some.
Not the point. We were discussing local officials being able to revoke federal benefits. I'll change my answer and take out the "legally." It can't be done, period...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Interesting chart from the Social Security Administration.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html

Biggest increase in SSDI was in 2001. Last 3 years awards are decreasing over the prior year. I was surprised to see that in 2013 only 33.52% of the application were approved.

Awards bIn current payment statusTerminations c
Time periodNumber
of appli-
cations a
NumberIncrease
over prior
period
Percent
of appli-
cations
Number
at end
of period
Increase
over prior
period
NumberIncrease
over prior
period
Termi-
nation
rate
by calendar year—
1999 .....1,200,087620,4882.03%51.70%4,879,4553.86%434,4896.02%8.51%
2000 .....1,330,558621,6500.19%46.72%5,042,3343.34%461,6266.25%8.72%
2001 .....1,498,559691,30911.21%46.13%5,274,1834.60%456,258-1.16%8.31%
2002 .....1,682,454750,4648.56%44.61%5,543,9815.12%479,6065.12%8.34%
2003 .....1,895,521777,9053.66%41.04%5,873,6735.95%450,720-6.02%7.46%
2004 .....2,137,531797,2262.48%37.30%6,201,3625.58%466,3323.46%7.32%
2005 .....2,122,109832,2014.39%39.22%6,524,5825.21%494,5926.06%7.36%
2006 .....2,134,088812,596-2.36%38.08%6,811,6794.40%513,2923.78%7.28%
2007 .....2,190,196823,1061.29%37.58%7,101,3554.25%525,0122.28%7.14%
2008 .....2,320,396895,0118.74%38.57%7,427,2034.59%564,5187.52%7.34%
2009 .....2,816,244985,94010.16%35.01%7,789,1134.87%628,47811.33%7.79%
2010 .....2,935,7981,052,5516.76%35.85%8,204,7105.34%646,3872.85%7.64%
2011 .....2,878,9201,025,003-2.62%35.60%8,576,0674.53%656,9021.63%7.42%
2012 .....2,820,812979,973-4.39%34.74%8,827,7952.94%726,43210.58%7.90%
2013 .....2,640,100884,894-9.70%33.52%8,942,5841.30%767,7385.69%8.17%

Graphs of disabled worker data
(Numbers in thousands) http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibGraphs.html

Applications skyrocketed when the recession began and are now starting to go down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.