This is what happened when I drove my Mercedes to pick up food stamps

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I just hate how stories get traction bc they talk about how someone fell on tough times, had to get government assistance, and after a while got back on their feet and got back off of welfare. that is the whole point of it and is exactly what it is for. what people get irritated about is not stories like this, but stories of generational deadbeats who want a handout from cradle to grave.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
what people get irritated about is not stories like this, but stories of generational deadbeats who want a handout from cradle to grave.
Agreed, though to hear many speak, all who use government programs are deadbeats. And frankly it's hard to tell who will use it as a crutch or a catapult.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Sell a 10-year old Mercedes for what? A less reliable modern car or an older, cheaper car that will require service more often?
Exactly. That car was worth $5-10k, tops, and may have taken a while to sell in a tough market or would have to be sold cheap to move quickly. And then how do you get to work? Sheesh. Most people can run their life better than you or me or any dem or rep ever could.

The whole "sell the Mercedes" mantra is just an emotional reaction not based at all in logic.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The whole "sell the Mercedes" mantra is just an emotional reaction not based at all in logic.
To be fair, she put that in the title of her article and really didn't make much of an effort to rationalize it except, "That Mercedes was the one reliable, trustworthy thing in our lives."
So, her defense of keeping the Mercedes was an emotional defense not based at all in logic either.
I don't think anyone can look at the article and conclude, "Well, obviously, she should have sold the car!" Or vice-versa. A lot more info is needed, but that's not our job. I can read the article and sympathize with her without knowing the details of her automobile values. If the car was worth $10K or more, I personally would have probably sold it. If it was like $5K, then it wouldn't make sense to sell it. But, regardless, she and her husband hit like ten roadblocks simultaneously and needed help. Selling the Mercedes wouldn't have fixed the problem by itself - if it could have, then they probably wouldn't have been broke.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Why not abort her pregnancy? She and her husband could always try later when they had a more solid economic footing.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I just hate how stories get traction bc they talk about how someone fell on tough times, had to get government assistance, and after a while got back on their feet and got back off of welfare. that is the whole point of it and is exactly what it is for. what people get irritated about is not stories like this, but stories of generational deadbeats who want a handout from cradle to grave.
Problem is too many folks judge others based on appearances or preconceived notions in general or both. Most people just make assumptions. Well, when we assume...They have plenty of advice until they find themselves in a similar situation and then find that they are the proverbial exception to the rule.

I've been there. Stood in the unemployment line, signed up for food stamps, picked up wic, took educational grants, helped my wife sign up for disability when she literally could barely get up out of bed (thank God, she is a fair amount better now), worked my backside off on 2-3 jobs while going to school full time and raising special needs children. Got my Master's that way. I think I'm a pretty humble guy and usually get embarrassed if someone brings attention to me for it, but you better believe I'm pretty darn proud of that one. Still hard to mentally and emotionally shake off the stigma at times, especially since when I'd see good steak on sale for the same price/lb as a roast or cheap steak I'd go for it. That's being smart with your resources, IMHO, but some would say I was a great example of waste in the system.

So, while I want to slap people when they say people on welfare are lazy, I also want to slap the people that make it too easy to think that. I also can't stand folks who want to have the government drug test recipients of welfare and then cry about their own civil liberties being infringed and government waste.

I personally detest welfare, but consider it a necessary evil that saved my butt and offered me and my family an opportunity to change our lives for the better. I don't begrudge anyone for using it when they need it so long as they, if able, are working to leave it one day. I do begrudge politicians and policies that make that journey more difficult.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
To be fair, she put that in the title of her article and really didn't make much of an effort to rationalize it except, "That Mercedes was the one reliable, trustworthy thing in our lives."
So, her defense of keeping the Mercedes was an emotional defense not based at all in logic either.
I don't think anyone can look at the article and conclude, "Well, obviously, she should have sold the car!" Or vice-versa. A lot more info is needed, but that's not our job. I can read the article and sympathize with her without knowing the details of her automobile values. If the car was worth $10K or more, I personally would have probably sold it. If it was like $5K, then it wouldn't make sense to sell it. But, regardless, she and her husband hit like ten roadblocks simultaneously and needed help. Selling the Mercedes wouldn't have fixed the problem by itself - if it could have, then they probably wouldn't have been broke.
Good point. She could have made her point better. This was more a "feel" piece than logical anyway. The average middle-classer is supposed to connect with her situation. I will say that I wasn't trying to defend her or the article in saying that, but attacking an emotional argument to sell the car. Mutually exclusive ideas.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Why not abort her pregnancy? She and her husband could always try later when they had a more solid economic footing.
Two weeks before my children were born, my future husband found himself staring at a pink slip.
That would be illegal in many states, not to mention the moral, emotional, mental, and social issues that would entail. I'm hoping you forgot the blue font. SMDH

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Sell the dang Mercedes.

Yes I did read the story.
To paraphrase Dave Ramsey:

The paid for Mercedes is not the problem. The problem is the loss of income. More effort should be spent on using the paid for car to generate income than selling the car. Mercedes deliver pizzas just as well as Honda, Toyota, etc.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The average middle-classer is supposed to connect with her situation.
If so, wrong audience. The average middle class citizen would have a deep sense of shame and embarrassment if he had to accept public assistance and would do everything possible to get off of public assistance as soon as possible. The average middle class citizen isn't the one causing some to question the overall efficacy of public assistance programs.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Another moral that is jumping off the pages of this article is that anyone can go from the penthouse to the outhouse pretty quick, so be as prepared as you can. I couldn't tell by the information in the article but going by the current percentages in this country, most people live paycheck to paycheck. Even those who make good to excellent money. Most buy the most expensive house their paycheck can afford them, they do the same with cars, clothes and other recreational items. Leaving next to nothing by the end of the month.

This is where I think Dave Ramsey's advice of build up an emergency fund equivalent to one year's salary (6 months at worst) can be critical. I'm not passing judgement on this couple because to be honest there's simply not enough information in the article. But in general there are lessons to be learned from this article for people who are currently middle class, upper middle class, wealthy etc. Prepare for the worst and be grateful for anything better than the worst. Life is tough and can turn on you in a heartbeat. Her story really isn't that uncommon. There are "well off" people all the time who have life changing events like job loss (happened to me twice in the same year) that can instantly change your circumstances. Be prepared because you never know when your number's going to called to go through something like that.

I'm happy there was help for this lady and her family. This is what government assistance is far. I would love to see more churches reach out on their own, with their own funds to help people in situations like this. Rather than building million dollar gyms and life centers that end up being vacant and unused within five years, invest in people rather than brick and mortar. That is one of the callings of the church. But that's another topic.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I've been unemployed a couple of times as well. I quickly worked to find some sort of income whether it be Home Depot or Lowes in addition to umpiring to cover our basic needs while I searched for full-time employment in my field. I drew two unemployment checks while transitioning and that was it. Maybe it was a pride issue for me to do whatever it took instead of relying on someone else to provide for me.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
That would be illegal in many states, not to mention the moral, emotional, mental, and social issues that would entail. I'm hoping you forgot the blue font. SMDH
I don't believe any of the states that she mentioned in the article have a weeks into term restriction for abortion. And I'm making an assumption, but given the fact that she writes for the Huffington Post she is pro choice. Therefore, the moral, emotional, and mental would all be net positives for her.

Lets fast forward a few years, say her immigrant house keeper or nanny (who is deeply and emphatically Christian) is in her same situation, Ms Cunha would have no problem recommending abortion as the solution. So if we are going to live in an America where abortion is safe and legal, then everyone should be putting their name in the lottery.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It's illegal to fire someone because their spouse just happens to be having a baby? What if it's truly performance issues, or harassment? We don't know why he was fired.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.