Alabama Leans on Out of State Players

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well it is a really top heavy state. Outside of the top 10-15, the rest are C-USA or Sun Belt type players. Years like 2008 or 2009 don't come around very often. It's VERY convenient to border Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The subtext of that article is very interesting. Sort of echoes some points that Jess has made in recent months.
It's a provocative column but ultimately a disappointing one because Cecil doesn't spell out where he stands on that very question.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I remember the glory days of Banks and Woodlawn.
Banks was incredible, year after year. I remember Bubba Holland, a linebacker from Woodlawn, who signed with Auburn. He was half crazy and 100% good.
The team I remember most was the Mountain Brook team with Major Olgilvie. That was the most complicated and unstoppable high school offense I've ever seen. Four options on every single play.
In the semi finals of the state they played my alma mater, Walker County, and beat us 59-48.
They stopped us once. I don't think we stopped them at all.
I still have great respect for Banks, most of all, because I hit my first home run in high school against them, and when I rounded second, their shortstop, Jeff Rutledge, slapped me on the butt with his glove and said, "Great hit". That's pretty classy.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's a provocative column but ultimately a disappointing one because Cecil doesn't spell out where he stands on that very question.
I really don't think there's a stand to taken at all. Nowadays, you've got to find the best players, wherever they are. That's what Coach Saban does and it obviously works pretty well.
I agree with the overall sentiment of, "I wish we signed more in state kids". I really do.
But there's just not that many anymore.
The total cultural collapse in Urban Birmingham is the biggest contributor.
But it is what it is, and Coach S. has to do what he's gotta do.
sip

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Banks was incredible, year after year. I remember Bubba Holland, a linebacker from Woodlawn, who signed with Auburn. He was half crazy and 100% good.
The team I remember most was the Mountain Brook team with Major Olgilvie. That was the most complicated and unstoppable high school offense I've ever seen. Four options on every single play.
In the semi finals of the state they played my alma mater, Walker County, and beat us 59-48.
They stopped us once. I don't think we stopped them at all.
I still have great respect for Banks, most of all, because I hit my first home run in high school against them, and when I rounded second, their shortstop, Jeff Rutledge, slapped me on the butt with his glove and said, "Great hit". That's pretty classy.
sip

Y'all didn't play defense back then??? :biggrin:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Y'all didn't play defense back then??? :biggrin:
Their QB, Richard Burg, an Arkansas signee, had four options on every play. He would ride the fullback into the hole. Meanwhile a wide receiver always ran a slant pattern. If the fullback was covered he'd look to see if the receiver was open. If so, he'd throw him a quick pass. If not he'd continue the option. If the corner covered the receiver running the slant he'd read the defensive end.
If the defensive end took Olgilvie, he'd keep the ball. If the defensive end took him, he'd pitch it to Olgilvie.
Because the corner had taken the receiver, if Olgilvie got the pitch, there was absolutely no defender out there to try and tackle him. He'd run 30 yards before the defense knew he had the ball.
Like I said--the most complicated offense I've ever seen, but those Mountain Brook kids were incredibly smart and they ran it to perfection.
Never seen anything like it.
Walker gave up about 10 points a game before that clash.
In the finals of the state I believe they beat Grissom of Huntsville 38-6, and Grissom had only given up like five TD's the entire season.
It wasn't that teams didn't play defense back then, that Mountain Brook team was just simply unstoppable.
The only high school team I ever saw that I thought was better was the Colbert County team with Ozzie Newsome, Phil Gargis and Thad Flanagan.
sip

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I've always thought that the Mobile area has put out more D1 talent in the last 10-15 years.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I've always thought that the Mobile area has put out more D1 talent in the last 10-15 years.

They have BamaJama, but Birmingham used to have countless D-1 players in both football and basketball every single year. Those kids up there now are caught up in a world that doesn't take them to a bright future in athletics.
I'm not talking about Hoover, etc. or the suburbs. I'm talking about the inner city which used to be a hotbed for incredible athletes. It's just simply dissappeared.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The University is also more than 50% out of state student body as of this past year. Just an interesting correlation.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I think he's telling CNS to tread lightly...or at least noting that the downside to national recruiting is that your players don't hate Auburn and UT enough.
I don't think he said that, and I wouldn't have agreed with him if he had, but it would have made for a better column.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.