It looks like the feds knew the immigration crisis was on us in January

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Misperceptions About US Immigration Policy Behind Surge in Illegal Children

A new intelligence assessment concludes that misperceptions about U.S. immigration policy – and not Central American violence – are fueling the surge of thousands of children illegally crossing the Mexican border.

The 10-page July 7 report was issued by the El Paso Intelligence Center (EPIC), which according to the Justice Department website is led by the DEA and incorporates Homeland Security. Its focus is on the collection and distribution of tactical intelligence, information which can immediately be acted on by law enforcement.
Diaz-Balart, who along with other lawmakers just visited Central America, described how human smugglers -- known as coyotes - are exploiting perceived changes to U.S. immigration law after the Obama administration decided in 2012 to practice prosecutorial discretion in cases where individuals were brought into the U.S. illegally as minors.
The intelligence assessment, which is unclassified but not meant to go beyond law enforcement, also cited data from the United Nations office on Drugs and Crime Statistics saying despite an explosion in the number of illegal minors, crime data for Central America actually showed a dip in violence.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

GOP Candidate Mistakes YMCA Kids For Migrants, Describes 'Fear In Their Faces'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/adam-kwasman_n_5591090.html

A Republican running for Congress in Arizona snapped a photo of a passing school bus full of children on Tuesday near a housing facility for undocumented minors. He posted the picture to Twitter with a stern warning to his followers: "Bus coming in. This is not compassion. This is the abrogation of the rule of law."
Adam Kwasman later spoke with a local reporter and described seeing "the fear" in the children's faces, urging authorities to abide by the law and enforce the border against the influx of child immigrants crossing into the United States.
But there was a problem with Kwasman's story. The school bus was carrying local children on the way to a YMCA camp not far from the migrant shelter. A reporter at the scene said he saw the children laughing and taking pictures with their iPhones.

Where do these nutcases come from? He'll make a great congressman

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The Feds Just Seized 40 Land Rovers Imported To The U.S.
Some 40 Land Rover owners across the U.S. woke up Tuesday morning to police and federal investigators knocking on their doors and demanding they hand over their trucks. Officials say it's part of an ongoing criminal investigation into the illegal importation of Land Rovers into this country, Jalopnik has learned
Stemming the tide of overconsumption.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Great, now the Coneheads are involved.
When I lived in Greenville, SC (not far from Seneca) around 1974, I recall seeing flyers nailed to telephone poles featuring a man on horseback, horse rearing, and a flaming cross in the rider's hand, and the caption, "Save our land, join the Klan" (the same slogan used in this episode).

This is not a helpful development (although I'd estimate that both Klan members in Seneca were busy putting candy in ziplock baggies).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

GOP Candidate Mistakes YMCA Kids For Migrants, Describes 'Fear In Their Faces'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/adam-kwasman_n_5591090.html

A Republican running for Congress in Arizona snapped a photo of a passing school bus full of children on Tuesday near a housing facility for undocumented minors. He posted the picture to Twitter with a stern warning to his followers: "Bus coming in. This is not compassion. This is the abrogation of the rule of law."
Adam Kwasman later spoke with a local reporter and described seeing "the fear" in the children's faces, urging authorities to abide by the law and enforce the border against the influx of child immigrants crossing into the United States.
But there was a problem with Kwasman's story. The school bus was carrying local children on the way to a YMCA camp not far from the migrant shelter. A reporter at the scene said he saw the children laughing and taking pictures with their iPhones.

Where do these nutcases come from? He'll make a great congressman
To be fair, he did say, in his first questioning, that the kids still looked pretty unhappy. He's been coached since to more PC comments. (Other witnesses said the kids were laughing and taking cellphone pix.) However, he still doesn't hold a candle to the TX congressman (head of the energy committee?) who stated that the wind was a finite resource and too many windmills would slow it down and cause more global warming. Who do these guys have advising them, anyway?

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
he still doesn't hold a candle to the TX congressman (head of the energy committee?) who stated that the wind was a finite resource and too many windmills would slow it down and cause more global warming. Who do these guys have advising them, anyway?
SCIENCE!!!!! ;)
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/fyi-do-wind-farms-make-it-less-windy
Wind turbines extract kinetic energy from the air around them, and since less energy makes for weaker winds, turbines do indeed make it less windy.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
To be fair, he did say, in his first questioning, that the kids still looked pretty unhappy. He's been coached since to more PC comments. (Other witnesses said the kids were laughing and taking cellphone pix.) However, he still doesn't hold a candle to the TX congressman (head of the energy committee?) who stated that the wind was a finite resource and too many windmills would slow it down and cause more global warming. Who do these guys have advising them, anyway?
If I had to guess, I'd say Hank Johnson. :)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
However, he still doesn't hold a candle to the TX congressman (head of the energy committee?) who stated that the wind was a finite resource and too many windmills would slow it down and cause more global warming.
Joe Barton, former chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee

Wind is God’s way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it’s hotter to areas where it’s cooler. That’s what wind is. Wouldn’t it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to wind energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I’m not saying that’s going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can’t transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It’s just something to think about.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess I misinterpreted your question mark. :)
No, not really. I'm just not that hot with names. I take it he's no longer the chairman. I travel frequently to Germany and almost every ridge is festooned with a line of windmills. (Hard to hear around those things.) They are doing a great job there in moving away from fossil fuel energy. However, they're still very dependent on gas from Russia for winter heating. I don't know that I ever saw a German home heated with electricity, which has been always been very expensive. Even their light bulbs tend to be 24 watts. But they do seem to be facing the future...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Don't mean to hijack the thread with a discussion of winds, windmills, kinetic and potential energies, but the recent discussion inspired me to do a little research. I came across this REALLY cool page displaying animated graphic of real-time wind direction and speed for the entire contiguous US.

Link

Sample static archived image below. Go to link for animated real-time.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
wow talk about a thread taking a new direction....just heard they are working on ("developmental" stages) of some type of solar panel to put down (literally) on highways, that can withstand the weight of the heaviest vehicle currently allowed on US highways. If you believe they put a man on the moon....:wink:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Wind is God’s way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it’s hotter to areas where it’s cooler. That’s what wind is. Wouldn’t it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to wind energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I’m not saying that’s going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can’t transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It’s just something to think about.
So my fluid mechanics professor was wrong when he said that fluids moved from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
So my fluid mechanics professor was wrong when he said that fluids moved from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.
OK - one last hijack.

As a meteorologist, that's the first thing that caught my eye also. I tend to have a somewhat Dan Rather-ish take on his statement: completely wrong on the factual details, but maybe just an inkling of truthiness in the long view.

Wind is driven by pressure differential not thermal differential. But pressure differential is itself indirectly caused by thermal differential via variation in density. And it is true that pressure-caused winds are the primary mixing mechanism by which thermal gradients are reduced. On the global and continental scales, logically, the removal of kinetic energy from the entire system would decrease overall wind and therefore short-term, large-scale thermal mixing. But much like flow around any other barrier (ridgeline, building, etc), flow would be redirected and enhanced around the wind farm, increasing thermal mixing on the regional and micro scales on the periphery of the wind farm.

More importantly, any large-scale reduction in mixing should have only a temporary effect. You have to keep in mind that thermal differential itself is a form of potential energy, and the sun is continually adding that potential energy to the system. Think of kinetic wind as a pressure-release valve. As kinetic mixing were reduced, thermal differential would gradually increase to a point where the pressure gradient were strong enough to overcome the resistance introduced by the wind farm. So you'd still eventually get the mixing. But what you may end up with is more infrequent, but more vigorous mass mixing events. Fewer, but more intense weather systems.

As for overall warming? Nope. Maybe in isolated locations due to the small-scale disruption in flow. But the same disruption would cause small-scale cooling in other locations. As for the overall energy budget, you're still removing energy from the climate system in converting it to electrical energy. And large scale mixing would still be achieved, albeit less frequently. Even if I'm wrong, the supplanting of energy derived from fossil fuels with wind-produced energy ought to chemically offset any warming trend in the climate caused by reduced thermal mixing. Just my two cents.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK - one last hijack.

As a meteorologist, that's the first thing that caught my eye also. I tend to have a somewhat Dan Rather-ish take on his statement: completely wrong on the factual details, but maybe just an inkling of truthiness in the long view.

Wind is driven by pressure differential not thermal differential. But pressure differential is itself indirectly caused by thermal differential via variation in density. And it is true that pressure-caused winds are the primary mixing mechanism by which thermal gradients are reduced. On the global and continental scales, logically, the removal of kinetic energy from the entire system would decrease overall wind and therefore short-term, large-scale thermal mixing. But much like flow around any other barrier (ridgeline, building, etc), flow would be redirected and enhanced around the wind farm, increasing thermal mixing on the regional and micro scales on the periphery of the wind farm.

More importantly, any large-scale reduction in mixing should have only a temporary effect. You have to keep in mind that thermal differential itself is a form of potential energy, and the sun is continually adding that potential energy to the system. Think of kinetic wind as a pressure-release valve. As kinetic mixing were reduced, thermal differential would gradually increase to a point where the pressure gradient were strong enough to overcome the resistance introduced by the wind farm. So you'd still eventually get the mixing. But what you may end up with is more infrequent, but more vigorous mass mixing events. Fewer, but more intense weather systems.

As for overall warming? Nope. Maybe in isolated locations due to the small-scale disruption in flow. But the same disruption would cause small-scale cooling in other locations. As for the overall energy budget, you're still removing energy from the climate system in converting it to electrical energy. And large scale mixing would still be achieved, albeit less frequently. Even if I'm wrong, the supplanting of energy derived from fossil fuels with wind-produced energy ought to chemically offset any warming trend in the climate caused by reduced thermal mixing. Just my two cents.
Bernoulli!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.