It looks like the feds knew the immigration crisis was on us in January

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll be honest with you, I'm less concerned about the political blame than I am the unquestionable humanitarian crisis at the border. That being said, I recognize BO's statement for what it is: grandstanding. If you compare what he is saying now to his previous actions regarding immigration you'll see there is a sharp contrast. Now with that being said, I am for liberalizing, streamlining, and enforcing our immigration policy. What is happening now though is a shame.
That's exactly my concern. I'm fed up with both parties mud-slinging, including the mindless exercises of the same going on in this thread. The 2008 Act has turned out to be a huge mistake - not to anyone's fault or foresight. It has to be reversed. It will be painful and seemingly cruel, but it's got to be done. As long as Honduran kids think they have 72 hours to try and argue their way into asylum, it will continue. Period. Going forward, you are correct. We need a saner immigration policy, which is, under our present dysfunction, impossible. Maybe instead of RIFing our combat soldiers, we need to station them along our southern border and really "seal" it. One or two million ought to do it...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That's exactly my concern. I'm fed up with both parties mud-slinging, including the mindless exercises of the same going on in this thread. The 2008 Act has turned out to be a huge mistake - not to anyone's fault or foresight. It has to be reversed. It will be painful and seemingly cruel, but it's got to be done. As long as Honduran kids think they have 72 hours to try and argue their way into asylum, it will continue. Period. Going forward, you are correct. We need a saner immigration policy, which is, under our present dysfunction, impossible. Maybe instead of RIFing our combat soldiers, we need to station them along our southern border and really "seal" it. One or two million ought to do it...
Neither party has a monopoly on blame regarding our dysfunctional immigration policies. Neither party wants to come to the table in good faith to work together to solve what is an unmitigated disaster. Both parties are using this crisis to grandstand and are more worried about their agendas than working toward a solution. Democrats, and specifically BO, deserve a lot of the "credit" for what is happening; but republicans shouldn't beat their chest too robustly. They had plenty of opportunities in the last 2 decades to work on the problem. The dems just doubled down on the issue while the reps did little themselves.

We definitely need reform that is well reasoned. We can't continue to have what are essentially "orphaned" children coming across the border. Where are we supposed to put them? What sort of screening are we doing for communicable disease? The costs of "caring" for these children is going to be enormous - and make no mistake, they will remain here in large part.

I want people to come here if they have the desire. That's not the issue. That immigration must be controlled and orderly. It must be mutually beneficial and not geared toward accepting kids without parents over those with parents. That is a cruel policy. It must end.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Keep in mind also that these kids aren't just coming here on their own. They are being smuggled the same as drugs and its safer for the smugglers. I'm sure the kids are being given the proper talking points on what to tell the border control agents when they are picked up. Dont think for a second that the Mexican government isn't complicit in allowing passage through their country.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Keep in mind also that these kids aren't just coming here on their own. They are being smuggled the same as drugs and its safer for the smugglers. I'm sure the kids are being given the proper talking points on what to tell the border control agents when they are picked up. Dont think for a second that the Mexican government isn't complicit in allowing passage through their country.
There may be signs that that is reversing. One large mode of transport has been on the top (yes, meant what I said) of a train which traverses the country from south to the north. It doesn't take a genius to see that the Mexicans don't want these poor, unskilled peasants to stop in their country. Yesterday, the Mexican government banned transport on the roof of this train. (It has some cutesy name like "el Monster.")

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
"Below is that same data in graph form. (Since the figure for FY 14 was only through three quarters, I multiplied by 4/3 to get a comparable figure for the full year, assuming the pace of Jul-Sep matches that of Oct-Jun. Note that the chart depicts fiscal years.)

President Obama issued the “DREAM Act” Executive Order in June 2012.
Here is some more data you might find interesting: the murder rates (per 100,000 population), from 2008 to 2012 (most recent data available).

• El Salvador: from 51.7 to 41.2 (a 20% drop).
  • Guatemala: from 46.1 to 39.9 (a 13% drop).
  • Honduras: from 60.8 to 90.4 (a 49% increase).
  • U.S. (for comparison): 5.4 to 4.7 (a 13% drop).
Unless all those kids are coming from Honduras, the “violence in Central America” excuse looks like a non-starter.
And here are some murder rates (per 100,000) in selected U.S. cities in 2011.

• Camden, NJ: 60.6.
  • New Orleans: 57.6.
  • Flint, MI: 50.8.
  • Detroit: 48.2.
  • Anniston, AL: 47.4.
I report, you decide. What do you think did it – something Bush did in 2008, something Central America did recently, or something Obama did in 2012 and later?"

Randall Hoven

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
how do we fix problems, if we never shame those who are currently causing the problems?
Job 1: fix problem
Job 2: find out what caused the problem and make sure it doesn't happen again
Job 3 (if you feel the need): scream and holler and curse at those guilty of causing the problem - in your case, I'm pretty sure nothing short of hanging would suffice. I'm cool with that.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
"Below is that same data in graph form. (Since the figure for FY 14 was only through three quarters, I multiplied by 4/3 to get a comparable figure for the full year, assuming the pace of Jul-Sep matches that of Oct-Jun. Note that the chart depicts fiscal years.)

President Obama issued the “DREAM Act” Executive Order in June 2012.
Here is some more data you might find interesting: the murder rates (per 100,000 population), from 2008 to 2012 (most recent data available).

• El Salvador: from 51.7 to 41.2 (a 20% drop).
  • Guatemala: from 46.1 to 39.9 (a 13% drop).
  • Honduras: from 60.8 to 90.4 (a 49% increase).
  • U.S. (for comparison): 5.4 to 4.7 (a 13% drop).
Unless all those kids are coming from Honduras, the “violence in Central America” excuse looks like a non-starter.
And here are some murder rates (per 100,000) in selected U.S. cities in 2011.

• Camden, NJ: 60.6.
  • New Orleans: 57.6.
  • Flint, MI: 50.8.
  • Detroit: 48.2.
  • Anniston, AL: 47.4.
I report, you decide. What do you think did it – something Bush did in 2008, something Central America did recently, or something Obama did in 2012 and later?"

Randall Hoven

Shhh. You know we don't like facts here. ;)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Ironically, we have a problem that needs fixing because the government tried to fix another problem.
That is the problem - we have only finger-pointers. Bush wasn't trying to really solve the problem, unless he was a complete dunce. I mean, really? Give all unaccompanied minors a hearing? So what, so they can lie? They could hardly ever prove it - that's why the proof threshold was so low. It became simply the judge's determination (one look at our judiciary should tell you all you need to know about how that will work). To stop things like sex trafficking, you have to somehow stop the market for them. I think instant hanging for anyone involved (not the slaves themselves) would go a long way. As it is, they either buy their way out or flee to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US. Imprisonment for any length of time is unacceptable; we should never have to provide food and shelter for these animals. Only a grave.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I've said over and over, I'm not interested in assigning blame. I'll leave that to you guys who get off on in. I just want the 2008 act repealed, or the flood will continue...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
As I've said over and over, I'm not interested in assigning blame. I'll leave that to you guys who get off on in. I just want the 2008 act repealed, or the flood will continue...
I agree Earle, the 2008 act should be repealed and it plays a part in the problem. Where I think we disagree is I believe some politicians do not want the flood stopped. I refrain from naming them, there are some on both sides of the aisle.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I would say both. The spike in child immigration seems to have occurred more prevalently beginning in 2012 per the information Gr8hope provided.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
There may be signs that that is reversing. One large mode of transport has been on the top (yes, meant what I said) of a train which traverses the country from south to the north. It doesn't take a genius to see that the Mexicans don't want these poor, unskilled peasants to stop in their country. Yesterday, the Mexican government banned transport on the roof of this train. (It has some cutesy name like "el Monster.")
It is called La Bestia or the Beast. It is also referred to as the Death Train. Not sure how that came to be but I am going to assume it has something to do with those who try to get on or off a moving freight train. Or perhaps something to do with clinging to the top of a moving train that transits some hundreds and hundreds of miles of heat and cold all while trying not to fall or be scrapped off by low clearance tunnels.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It is called La Bestia or the Beast. It is also referred to as the Death Train. Not sure how that came to be but I am going to assume it has something to do with those who try to get on or off a moving freight train. Or perhaps something to do with clinging to the top of a moving train that transits some hundreds and hundreds of miles of heat and cold all while trying not to fall or be scrapped off by low clearance tunnels.

Not sure which one is better.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thanks for the info. CNN had a reporter on the southern border of Mexico. He said the children went from the southern Mexican border to the US border in a week.
Now I know how.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I agree Earle, the 2008 act should be repealed and it plays a part in the problem. Where I think we disagree is I believe no politicians want the flood stopped. I refrain from naming them, they are on both sides of the aisle.
FIFY

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.