It looks like the feds knew the immigration crisis was on us in January

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
As far as the actual problem solving, I think Earle's right fwiw.

In fact, I think most folks here probably do.

Dissenters?
I don't think anyone disagrees that the 2008 law is the crux of the matter, but I dissent from Earle (whom I greatly respect) in that I think Obama holds a great deal of responsibility for the exacerbation of the problem and his unwillingness to bend on anything in order to get the House to come to the table. Indeed, he seems perfectly content to have spent the last five years (and the remaining three) giving the House nothing with which to work, so that he in turn can blame them for "doing nothing."

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Dissenters?
Not I.

Like Earle, I don't give a rat's rear end who is in office presently or who was in office when the policies that initiated this mess began. The problem as I see it is that no one seems to care or want to come up with a viable solution. Until they do, those that are paid to represent us and do right by us aren't doing their jobs. They must therefore absorb a portion of the responsibility for it's continuance and growth.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
lol. I just heard someone say, "How in the hell did America become Mexico's toilet?"

The truth hurts.
That's cute gmart. Of course Mexican minors are not covered by the 2008 law and can be deported immediately. The influx of minors are from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. They must have deportation hearings. Central American toilet would be more accurate but still untrue.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That's cute gmart. Of course Mexican minors are not covered by the 2008 law and can be deported immediately. The influx of minors are from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. They must have deportation hearings. Central American toilet would be more accurate but still untrue.
Yes, because ACCURACY is the issue here ;)

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
typical leftist shallow thinking. please allow me to explain in greater detail.
Their soldiers fire on our border agents- we do nothing. Their military provides security for their drug cartels and actively engages our border guards- we do nothing. Mexico willingly allows their criminals to escape justice by sneaking into America. They dont warn us about these violent fugitives- we do nothing. They actively help other countries transport refugees to our border- we do nothing. Their government openly assists and protects one narco gang, allows them to grow and expand, and uses our military to train their security teams to be even more deadly- we keep helping.
one of our military members crosses the border with a gun, openly admits it, and is chained to a bed for 100 days before his trial.

We are Mexico's urinal. the current crop of MS-13 yutes crawling over the border are just the tip of the iceberg.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
At this point, I am more interested in solving the problem, getting the illegal immigrant kids a hearing (to determine that they are economic refugees, not political refugees), and send them home, and end the inflow.
Statesmen could get that done.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
I watched the McLaughlin Group for the first time in a looooong time last night, and I kept thinking I had died and gone to heaven. All four (Clift, Zuckerman, Buchanan and Taylor) all actually agreed on two things (with only the minor details differential requirement to make it a "show"):

Obama should have gone to the border to at least maybe make the governments in Central America think he was serious - playing pool, drinking beer and hanging with stoners was not what is called for right now and
The blame for this current situation is spread far and wide over many administrations and Congresses.

I was almost dumbfounded. Never heard of such agreeable foolishness.

And, Earle, even though you are not posting I know you are following, so I will say:
Whenever you want to run for President I'm in, for a penny or a pound. We need problems fixed not people pointing fingers.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Are you referring to any Obama policies other than the "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals"? This Obama policy wasn't instituted until 2012 and does not explain the significant drop in child deportations beginning in 2009 and continuing in 2010 and 2011. Moreover, the significant drop in child deportations was occurring at the same time that the Obama administration began inflating its number of overall deportations by counting individuals being turned away at the border. It seems unlikely that child deportation numbers would be decreasing while the Obama administration was trying to look tough on illegal immigration by liberalizing the method of counting deportations.
Not really sure what's so hard to understand here. The data shows when Obama took office the # of minors deported started to decline, year over year. Pure coincidence? Separate from that was his public 2012 policy of offering deferments to minors already in the country. Around that same time the # of minors crossing the border skyrocketed.

FYI, it's mentioned in the article that the deportation data doesn't include those turned away at the border, as allowed by law.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I watched the McLaughlin Group for the first time in a looooong time last night, and I kept thinking I had died and gone to heaven. All four (Clift, Zuckerman, Buchanan and Taylor) all actually agreed on two things (with only the minor details differential requirement to make it a "show"):

Obama should have gone to the border to at least maybe make the governments in Central America think he was serious - playing pool, drinking beer and hanging with stoners was not what is called for right now and
The blame for this current situation is spread far and wide over many administrations and Congresses.

I was almost dumbfounded. Never heard of such agreeable foolishness.

And, Earle, even though you are not posting I know you are following, so I will say:
Whenever you want to run for President I'm in, for a penny or a pound. We need problems fixed not people pointing fingers.
I agree he probably should have gone down there but, in the end, it would have just been for show and I am sure there would have been no shortage of those criticizing him for doing that. Probably many who are criticizing him now for not going.
I would rather see him send Kerry or someone else to Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvadore to do what we can to stem this illegal migration both to talk to the governments and put on a "show" to drive home the fact that its not quite as cut and dry as the parents there think it is.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think blaming this solely on Congress or the President is wrong. They are both to blame.

Earl is right about the law signed by GWB. He is wrong is that Obama is very much to blame for the sudden influx due to his actions.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/07/obamas_dream_act_by_executive.html

After legislators declined to enact the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act (DREAM Act) in the 112[SUP]th[/SUP] Congress, President Obama initiated the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program on June 15, 2012. He did not bother to issue an Executive Order or White House memorandum regarding the decision. He simply directed Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano to draft guidance on applying "prosecutorial discretion" with respect to a certain class of younger immigrants without legal status. With this action, the Obama Administration structurally changed immigration law by awkwardly attempting to shoehorn an agency-wide enforcement change under the purview of individual discretion outlined by Napolitano's directive.
Now, President Obama appears shocked by the influx of unauthorized immigrant children into the United States. In a June 30[SUP]th[/SUP] letter to congressional leaders, President Obama requests help in stemming the tide of children, especially unaccompanied children, illegally entering the United States. He also highlighted the need to clarify to potential migrants that "recently arriving individuals and children will be placed into removal proceedings, and are not eligible for [DACA]...." Even the President tacitly concedes the impact DACA has had in incentivizing unauthorized immigration, particularly with respect to children.
Political actions have consequences, and these are the results that the President's penchant for unilateral executive action produces. His insistence on changing the law outside the legislative process, no matter how well-intentioned, has made the problem exponentially worse.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Meanwhile, some people contort themselves into pretzels to absolve Obama of any blame, all because the current Congress doesn't behave like those mythical Congresses of days gone by.
If you're aiming your remarks at me, go take a dive at a hole in a rolling doughnut. I'm on the verge of closing this bastard of a thread, because there's so much insanity being posted. There are a lot of interviews with the immigrants posted on line. Go listen to what they're saying. They're not mentioning Obama. What they're saying is they can't be sent back immediately. They're saying they have 72 hours to argue their case. That'll keep them coming. ON 6/28, the administration stated that a bill would be signed instantly to return kids to Central America quickly. From Congress - crickets. I'm not for the administration. I'm against stupidity and total blindness to recognize what's happening and why it JUST NOW started happening...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not really sure what's so hard to understand here. The data shows when Obama took office the # of minors deported started to decline, year over year. Pure coincidence? Separate from that was his public 2012 policy of offering deferments to minors already in the country. Around that same time the # of minors crossing the border skyrocketed.

FYI, it's mentioned in the article that the deportation data doesn't include those turned away at the border, as allowed by law.
Unaccompanied minors cannot be turned back at the border, under the provisions of the 2008 Act. Not sure where you got that idea...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Boss man it would take a huge slow rolling doughnut hole for me to dive through it.:biggrin: I am old fat and slow. Is a doughnut hole without the doughnut invisible?:)

I agree with you about this thread. Blaming leads to very few solutions.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Unaccompanied minors cannot be turned back at the border, under the provisions of the 2008 Act. Not sure where you got that idea...
I was speaking specifically to the inflated deportation #s 86 was referencing from the Administration that used those who were stopped at the border.

But yes, Mexican kids pretty much can be turned away and not be our responsibility. Hence, my "as allowed by law". They are given quick interviews and if they "fail" they are turned back to the Mexicans for them to handle. Here's some articles for you:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...xas-says-immigrant-minors-countries-dont-bor/

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/12/unaccompanied-minors-mexico-deported/

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was speaking specifically to the inflated deportation #s 86 was referencing from the Administration that used those who were stopped at the border.

But yes, Mexican kids pretty much can be turned away and not be our responsibility. Hence, my "as allowed by law". They are given quick interviews and if they "fail" they are turned back to the Mexicans for them to handle. Here's some articles for you:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...xas-says-immigrant-minors-countries-dont-bor/

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/12/unaccompanied-minors-mexico-deported/
Mexican kids are not our problem - at all...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not sure I understand, but Obama says he stands ready to sign a bill revoking or modifying the 2008 "carrot."
I'll be honest with you, I'm less concerned about the political blame than I am the unquestionable humanitarian crisis at the border. That being said, I recognize BO's statement for what it is: grandstanding. If you compare what he is saying now to his previous actions regarding immigration you'll see there is a sharp contrast. Now with that being said, I am for liberalizing, streamlining, and enforcing our immigration policy. What is happening now though is a shame.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.