It looks like the feds knew the immigration crisis was on us in January

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
May I interrupt the fun again and point out that Congress passed in 2008, Boehner leading the charge for a unanimous vote, an act making it illegal to peremptorily send unaccompanied minors back to country of origin? Now, carry on, back to the fun stuff and away from substantive discussion...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
May I interrupt the fun again and point out that Congress passed in 2008, Boehner leading the charge for a unanimous vote, an act making it illegal to peremptorily send unaccompanied minors back to country of origin? Now, carry on, back to the fun stuff and away from substantive discussion...
Unfortunately rationality can not over come mindless hatred.:frown:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Obama has ramped up the race and class warfare and further divided the country, and had a willing press to do the dirty work for him. When's the last time he made a speech without attacking someone or a group of people?

It's really amateurish that this is how he attempts to govern.
It is BASIC Saul Alinsky.
Rules For Radicals

Rule 8: Keep the pressure on, with different tactics and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.

Rule 10: The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.

Excerpt from Rule 13 (Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it): Let nothing get you off your target. With this focus comes a polarization. As we have indicated before, all issues must be polarized if action is to follow.

Last edited:

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I would point out yet again that this is not an "Obama policy." This is the executive branch following the mandate of the Congress...
In his own words, "I have a pen and a phone. I will not wait for Congress to act."
This appears to be a serious enough problem to be deemed a national emergency. Why doesn't he just waive that magic pen he claims he has the right to use and make this stop? Deport them all or grant them amnesty? Deporting them will not serve his purpose and amnesty will hurt Dems in the coming election. It's politics, not a humanitarian issue to him or his party. This is a serious issue and will be for years to come. It is designed by those who want it to cause damage to the country and add to the growing dependency class which will vote Democrat for life.
Add: Deportations would also anger RHINOS who are pandering to business and The Chamber of Commerce cronies. They stink on this issue too.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In his own words, "I have a pen and a phone. I will not wait for Congress to act."
This appears to be a serious enough problem to be deemed a national emergency. Why doesn't he just waive that magic pen he claims he has the right to use and make this stop? Deport them all or grant them amnesty? Deporting them will not serve his purpose and amnesty will hurt Dems in the coming election. It's politics, not a humanitarian issue to him or his party. This is a serious issue and will be for years to come. It is designed by those who want it to cause damage to the country and add to the growing dependency class which will vote Democrat for life.
Add: Deportations would also anger RHINOS who are pandering to business and The Chamber of Commerce cronies. They stink on this issue too.
Simple - it's not within the area in which the SCOTUS would allow unilateral action. That became clear last week, if not before. He has indicated a willingness to sign any modification of the 2008 Act which Congress puts before him. Look, I'm a lawyer. I'm not defending him or his presidency. However, I like for discussions to make sense. When they don't, I'll point it out. It seems to me that, around here, as soon as his name is mentioned, common sense goes out the window and discussions cease to make sense at all. This thread is a good example...

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I would point out yet again that this is not an "Obama policy." This is the executive branch following the mandate of the Congress...
Please read the LA Times report I posted. Yes, that law plays a big role but looking at the data there certainly appears to be an "Obama policy" component it also that's led to this mess.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not to dispute you, but I'm not quite sure how Boehner could have led the charge given the fact - the Speaker of the House was Ms Pelosi - and the vote was unanimous (meaning Boehner didn't have much to do in the first place).

Now at the same time - the guy in the Oval Office was named Bush, not Obama, so it's not that I'm siding on partisans here. And to be fair, maybe I'm not understanding your point. If your point is that Boehner is two-faced there's plenty of evidence of that anyway.

And thanks for your fact oriented approach, I try to do the same.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think you are mistaken. From the WSJ: http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2014/05/02/5-things-obamas-record-on-deportations/

President Barack Obama has been called “deporter-in-chief” by immigration advocates angry about record-setting deportations. He’s also been vilified by conservatives as weak on immigration enforcement. Even in Washington, that makes for a stunning contrast. What’s the truth? As the Obama administration completes a review of deportation policy, with results expected soon, here are five things to consider when evaluating the Obama administration’s record on deportations:

Obama is deporting at a higher rate than any one ever has!

But when Republicans advocate that, they're bigots.

And supposedly this locks up the Hispanic vote for the Democrats for the forseeable future. Is this a wink and nod or what? It's funny watching this, though - you'll see the pundits all the time going after the GOP on this and firing accusations of racism, and the moment you point out Obama has personally overseen the deportation of more than anyone else - it's suddenly a GREAT idea.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Please read the LA Times report I posted. Yes, that law plays a big role but looking at the data there certainly appears to be an "Obama policy" component it also that's led to this mess.
Thanks. I re-read your post and actually read the link. Good article. I missed the part about Obama policy component. Sounded like the President was following the law.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
But when Republicans advocate that, they're bigots.

And supposedly this locks up the Hispanic vote for the Democrats for the forseeable future. Is this a wink and nod or what? It's funny watching this, though - you'll see the pundits all the time going after the GOP on this and firing accusations of racism, and the moment you point out Obama has personally overseen the deportation of more than anyone else - it's suddenly a GREAT idea.

You miss my point. I was simply responding to the poster who said Obama had prohibited the deportation of illegals of all ages.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's a list of what some consider his achievements, though I've no doubt many here will dispute some of these. It's well documented that many here would have preferred that the government not bail out GM, mindless of the devastating effects GMs collapse would have had on an already fragile economy.

There are a lot of things I wish Obama had done differently. I wish he had worked more to actually lead, particularly in his first term.

But that's beside the point.

Good president, bad president, mediocre president--none of those equate to traitor.

But that's beside the point. Even if you disagree with every point, bad president <> traitor.
For the record, I've never called the guy a traitor (not saying you're accusing me of this obviously) nor have I ever even invoked the old "Saul Alinsky argument."

But just a few points on this list:

1) Yes, Obama got a bunch of stuff passed early.....because HIS PARTY had overwhelming majorities in both chambers. This is always true, and it's also why Reagan and Bush didn't get nearly as much passed. The NUMBER of things passed is so irrelevant it's not even funny.

2) The notion he "prevented a Depression" is absolutely laughable on its face. I'm not blaming him for this and the Rs do this, too, but this old "well if we hadn't done this it would have been worse" argument is a pile of garbage.

3) Passing Dodd-Frank was good? Really?

And btw - in typical liberal fashion MOST of what is listed there talks about money he's spent. Well if that's the standard of being great, let me go out and charge a yacht and a luxury home somewhere. No, I'm not gonna actually pay for it, but it will make me a great consumer.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
[/B]

You miss my point. I was simply responding to the poster who said Obama had prohibited the deportation of illegals of all ages.
I did miss your point, but to be fair I've heard this point raised before about Obama's deportation prowess. Funny how any Republican who advocates less than that is racist but the Prez gets a free pass as would any Democrat not from the South.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not to dispute you, but I'm not quite sure how Boehner could have led the charge given the fact - the Speaker of the House was Ms Pelosi - and the vote was unanimous (meaning Boehner didn't have much to do in the first place).

Now at the same time - the guy in the Oval Office was named Bush, not Obama, so it's not that I'm siding on partisans here. And to be fair, maybe I'm not understanding your point. If your point is that Boehner is two-faced there's plenty of evidence of that anyway.

Maybe not "led" but dang sure spent his time in the harness on this one; how many Republicans do you think you can find now who think this was a good idea? (For craps and giggles, let's include the TP gang in there). He had to twist a few arms to keep from having too many Repubs go against the Pres, and they could all hide behind the fact it was Pelosti's House.
I thought this was stupid from the start, and I agree with David Brooks: there is no right thing to do here, but send them back anyway. But only if the border is locked down to keep them from coming back; otherwise, we're just singing the lyric's to a Jerry Jeff song....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I wasn't being accurate. Boehner was actually the minority leader at the time. What I'm really referring to is his little bit of theater yesterday saying that Obama had been president for five years - wasn't it about time it took responsibility for "something." That "something" is apparently a bill Boehner voted for when Obama wasn't even in office. He dodged the obvious followup questions which were sure to come. I have had great respect for various congressional leaders of both parties. Boehner? Not so much. It still comes back to the same point - if the administration were not enforcing the federal provision requiring the 72 hours and hearing, a lawsuit would be filed immediately and any court would have no leeway at all, in enforcing it. I know a lot here don't want to hear it - and just want to blame Obama - but it just doesn't fly...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Maybe not "led" but dang sure spent his time in the harness on this one; how many Republicans do you think you can find now who think this was a good idea? (For craps and giggles, let's include the TP gang in there). He had to twist a few arms to keep from having too many Repubs go against the Pres, and they could all hide behind the fact it was Pelosti's House.
I thought this was stupid from the start, and I agree with David Brooks: there is no right thing to do here, but send them back anyway. But only if the border is locked down to keep them from coming back; otherwise, we're just singing the lyric's to a Jerry Jeff song....
The 2008 Act must be amended or repealed. It was originally enacted to guard against human trafficking, anyway - just another case of unintended consequences. With a functional Congress (damn!, that seems so long ago), they'd sit down and say "Gee, this ain't working out the way it was supposed to. Let's fix it." Instead, you have both sides talking past the other and trying to figure out where the political advantage might lie...

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
"Gee, this ain't working out the way it was supposed to. Let's fix it."
but instead we have a bought off partisan congress, enabled by low information voters, slowly destroying this country. it is past time to vote them out. it is getting extremely close to the time when it is better to simply remove them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.