It looks like the feds knew the immigration crisis was on us in January

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The problem with the "Congress should do something" argument is that Obama and the Senate leaders have poisoned the water at every turn, and have basically been as non-conciliatory are humanly possible. Boehner, for all his flaws, has no reason to trust Obama or Reid, and until President Obama demonstrates that he can be trusted, there's no way in hell Boehner is going to negotiate with him - nor should he.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My understanding is that the 2008 act was aimed at preventing sex trafficking, and it is the main reason we can't just turn these kids away when they show up. However, that is not the reason so many are all of the sudden showing up. That is driven by the president's refusal to enforce immigration laws, which has created a misunderstanding in south and central America that if kids can just get across the border, they'll become citizens and have a shot at a great life. It's sad, frankly. But the point is that the 2008 law makes the problem more difficult to manage. It is not the cause of the problem.
I can't agree completely. I'm not sure what any president would be able to do to stem the flood the law is causing. The root of the problem is the law itself. The people south of the border really have the facts down right - you don't get sent back immediately, if you're an unaccompanied minor. These are people with no hope at all, so even a glimmer will keep them coming. As soon as the law is changed back, the tide will dry up like a spigot was turned off. As I pointed out before you did, it was a human trafficking law, anyway...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The problem with the "Congress should do something" argument is that Obama and the Senate leaders have poisoned the water at every turn, and have basically been as non-conciliatory are humanly possible. Boehner, for all his flaws, has no reason to trust Obama or Reid, and until President Obama demonstrates that he can be trusted, there's no way in hell Boehner is going to negotiate with him - nor should he.
Yeah. Now that's the way to progress..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I wasn't being accurate. Boehner was actually the minority leader at the time. What I'm really referring to is his little bit of theater yesterday saying that Obama had been president for five years - wasn't it about time it took responsibility for "something." That "something" is apparently a bill Boehner voted for when Obama wasn't even in office. He dodged the obvious followup questions which were sure to come. I have had great respect for various congressional leaders of both parties. Boehner? Not so much. It still comes back to the same point - if the administration were not enforcing the federal provision requiring the 72 hours and hearing, a lawsuit would be filed immediately and any court would have no leeway at all, in enforcing it. I know a lot here don't want to hear it - and just want to blame Obama - but it just doesn't fly...
Oh, okay now I see (and I thought this might be your point).

Btw (and I'm NOT applying this to the subject at hand fwiw) - Boehner IS right about one thing even though on this subject it's a side issue: this President more than any one I've ever seen has spent more time blaming more people for more crap than any President in my lifetime. I pay close attention and ALL OF THEM do this to their predecessors, particularly the first two years or so. Virtually everyone else I've seen (I recall back to Carter pretty well) pretty much drops the "it's the last guy's fault" stuff after the midterms, whatever the result. My thing with the current clown (who I used to like even though I disagree with his ideas) is he is STILL blaming folks left and right for everything. And that's the kind of thing that eventually gets you to the point everyone just wants you to go away. Reagan, for all that some think the guy was a "buck stops here" kind of guy, spent the entire 1982 midterms blaming the Democrats for the economy and the deficit and the need to save Social Security........and the moment it was over he put together a bipartisan commission that changed and supposedly preserved it. He didn't spend the 1984 election telling everyone how things were awful because Carter had left him a bad situation (although he did suggest electing Carter's VP would bring back the woe, which is classic political strategy). He didn't blame the Democrats for Iran-Contra even at the early stage (though he did blame the press). Bush Sr never really did that, which may be why he is the most highly esteemed former Prez we have (though he did suggest electing Dukakis would bring back Carter's misery). Clinton blamed the Republicans for four years, but he got a lease extension because Newt made a fool of himself. Clinton's blaming would not have been nearly so effective if Newt hadn't helped him out. Yet after he got re-elected, Clinton became pretty good at responsibility and a decent leader with one very notable exception. Bush Jr subtly suggested all his problems were caused by our vulnerability that preceded him - but he dodged most of his chances. Note that whatever one thinks of Bush's handling of Katrina, he bit the bullet and went on, saving his finger-pointing at Blanco for closed doors.

This idiot keeps playing the "it ain't my fault" game. Maybe that's because unlike the others I listed other than Pappy Bush, they were all governors who actually had to accept some responsibility for something BEFORE getting to DC rather than just voting "present" and not making any waves.

Okay, rant over, thanks for your guidance there. Thought that might be what you meant.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Reagan worked with Tip O'Neil. Clinton worked with Newt. Boehner's not innocent (I'll be happy when he's gone!), but when you're the President - it's on you to bring people together, and that's been the last thing on this guy's mind.
Reagan and Clinton were governors who actually had opponents on the ballot against them in their state elections, too.

Might have a lot to do with it.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Reagan worked with Tip O'Neil. Clinton worked with Newt. Boehner's not innocent (I'll be happy when he's gone!), but when you're the President - it's on you to bring people together, and that's been the last thing on this guy's mind.
I think some of it has to do with the political atmosphere today where compromise is viewed as weakness and Boehner is uncomfortable with it for fear of being primaried.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think some of it has to do with the political atmosphere today where compromise is viewed as weakness and Boehner is uncomfortable with it for fear of being primaried.
I agree and wonder why this situation has developed.
For one thing, I believe the unlimited nature of the Federal government means every issue has a potential Federal solution and thus becomes a is a political football to be kicked around.
Second, this attracts money into politics like never before. Since there are no real substantive limits on Federal power, every public actor with money feels it is legitimate to get into the game in an effort to get the Federal government to assist/sponsor his industry or his particular business, or, failing that, to hinder his competition.
Thirdly, politicians stand to make a ton of money if they get into (and stay in) office. John Glenn, a retired Marine Colonel, left the Senate worth something like $70 million. How'd that happen? Really shrewd investments?
These are, in my view, the unavoidable (albeit unintended) consequences of removing the limits on Federal authority.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, okay now I see (and I thought this might be your point).

Btw (and I'm NOT applying this to the subject at hand fwiw) - Boehner IS right about one thing even though on this subject it's a side issue: this President more than any one I've ever seen has spent more time blaming more people for more crap than any President in my lifetime. I pay close attention and ALL OF THEM do this to their predecessors, particularly the first two years or so. Virtually everyone else I've seen (I recall back to Carter pretty well) pretty much drops the "it's the last guy's fault" stuff after the midterms, whatever the result. My thing with the current clown (who I used to like even though I disagree with his ideas) is he is STILL blaming folks left and right for everything. And that's the kind of thing that eventually gets you to the point everyone just wants you to go away. Reagan, for all that some think the guy was a "buck stops here" kind of guy, spent the entire 1982 midterms blaming the Democrats for the economy and the deficit and the need to save Social Security........and the moment it was over he put together a bipartisan commission that changed and supposedly preserved it. He didn't spend the 1984 election telling everyone how things were awful because Carter had left him a bad situation (although he did suggest electing Carter's VP would bring back the woe, which is classic political strategy). He didn't blame the Democrats for Iran-Contra even at the early stage (though he did blame the press). Bush Sr never really did that, which may be why he is the most highly esteemed former Prez we have (though he did suggest electing Dukakis would bring back Carter's misery). Clinton blamed the Republicans for four years, but he got a lease extension because Newt made a fool of himself. Clinton's blaming would not have been nearly so effective if Newt hadn't helped him out. Yet after he got re-elected, Clinton became pretty good at responsibility and a decent leader with one very notable exception. Bush Jr subtly suggested all his problems were caused by our vulnerability that preceded him - but he dodged most of his chances. Note that whatever one thinks of Bush's handling of Katrina, he bit the bullet and went on, saving his finger-pointing at Blanco for closed doors.

This idiot keeps playing the "it ain't my fault" game. Maybe that's because unlike the others I listed other than Pappy Bush, they were all governors who actually had to accept some responsibility for something BEFORE getting to DC rather than just voting "present" and not making any waves.

Okay, rant over, thanks for your guidance there. Thought that might be what you meant.
Actually, my point was that I wanted to talk about the immigration problem. That's impossible here. The present act, which Obama had nothing to do with in the sense of being a moving force, has created an irresistible prize carrot for desperate people. Until it's changed, perhaps in a very cruel-seeming way, this problem will continue, and it doesn't make a damn who may be in office as president or speaker of the house. However, here, all discussions funnel back into Obama vs "X," "X" to be defined in the particular poster's opinion. I'm not interested in that. I'm a pragmatist. I'm interested in trying to solve problems. As a result, I don't come here for substantive discussion over national problems, because every problem is met here with a braying chorus with no thought behind it. It's really a damned shame. With that, I'm out of the thread...

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I'm not sure what any president would be able to do to stem the flood the law is causing.
Tell Mexico that if one more refugee train is allowed through their country, then we will cut off all aid, militarize the border and completely stop drug trafficking across the border with our military. I guarantee it would work in 1hr. Those narco terrorists will choose money over children every single time.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
As TIDE-HSV has attempted to point out numerous times in this thread, the root of this problem is the 08 law. This needs to be addressed and corrected by congress ASAP. Mexico is complicit in the problem and needs to be pressured to stop this migration across their country.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I think you are mistaken. From the WSJ: http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2014/05/02/5-things-obamas-record-on-deportations/

President Barack Obama has been called “deporter-in-chief” by immigration advocates angry about record-setting deportations. He’s also been vilified by conservatives as weak on immigration enforcement. Even in Washington, that makes for a stunning contrast. What’s the truth? As the Obama administration completes a review of deportation policy, with results expected soon, here are five things to consider when evaluating the Obama administration’s record on deportations:

Obama is deporting at a higher rate than any one ever has!

High Deportation Figures are Misleading

Expulsions of people who are settled and working in the United States have fallen steadily since his [Obama's] first year in office, and are down more than 40% since 2009.

On the other side of the ledger, the number of people deported at or near the border has gone up — primarily as a result of changing who gets counted in the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency's deportation statistics.

The vast majority of those border crossers would not have been treated as formal deportations under most previous administrations. If all removals were tallied, the total sent back to Mexico each year would have been far higher under those previous administrations than it is now.

The shift in who gets tallied helped the administration look tough in its early years but now may be backfiring politically. Immigration advocates plan protests across the country this week around what they say will be the 2 millionth deportation under Obama — a mark expected to be hit in the next few days. And Democratic strategists fret about a decline in Latino voter turnout for this fall's election.

Until recent years, most people caught illegally crossing the southern border were simply bused back into Mexico in what officials called "voluntary returns," but which critics derisively termed "catch and release." Those removals, which during the 1990s reached more 1 million a year, were not counted in Immigration and Customs Enforcement's deportation statistics.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Actually, my point was that I wanted to talk about the immigration problem. That's impossible here. The present act, which Obama had nothing to do with in the sense of being a moving force, has created an irresistible prize carrot for desperate people. Until it's changed, perhaps in a very cruel-seeming way, this problem will continue, and it doesn't make a damn who may be in office as president or speaker of the house. However, here, all discussions funnel back into Obama vs "X," "X" to be defined in the particular poster's opinion. I'm not interested in that. I'm a pragmatist. I'm interested in trying to solve problems. As a result, I don't come here for substantive discussion over national problems, because every problem is met here with a braying chorus with no thought behind it. It's really a damned shame. With that, I'm out of the thread...

Meanwhile, some people contort themselves into pretzels to absolve Obama of any blame, all because the current Congress doesn't behave like those mythical Congresses of days gone by.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
The posted data alone does not support an "Obama policy" assertion.
Ya, it does. The influx of kids rose dramatically around the times minor deportations were low and the Administrations policy of granting deferrals to illegal minors previously in the country. Seems to me there's more in play than just that one law.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Ya, it does. The influx of kids rose dramatically around the times minor deportations were low and the Administrations policy of granting deferrals to illegal minors previously in the country. Seems to me there's more in play than just that one law.
Are you referring to any Obama policies other than the "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals"? This Obama policy wasn't instituted until 2012 and does not explain the significant drop in child deportations beginning in 2009 and continuing in 2010 and 2011. Moreover, the significant drop in child deportations was occurring at the same time that the Obama administration began inflating its number of overall deportations by counting individuals being turned away at the border. It seems unlikely that child deportation numbers would be decreasing while the Obama administration was trying to look tough on illegal immigration by liberalizing the method of counting deportations.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As far as the actual problem solving, I think Earle's right fwiw.

In fact, I think most folks here probably do.

Dissenters?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.