Vehicle Headlights

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I bought some of that stuff - can't remember if it was from Armor All or Rain X. But it was a waste of money. I couldn't tell any difference. Maybe the next time I go in for an oil change I'll ask them if they can do that for me. If not, they will just have to stay yellow.
Had mine cleaned at a mechanic's shop one time. Cost about $80. Still didn't get them fully clean.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I used this stuff with some success

Dont bother with any product that does not use use a power drill with a polishing ball.
However as TIDE-HSV said earlier, once it starts, it tends to continue. I think that you can prevent/postpone the yellowing by polishing the plastic once or twice a year with a good car wax/polish.
That's what I originally used on my last Isuzu.

From this:

To this:

But within 6 months, it was back to looking oxidized and foggy. It definitely works but I think the only way to permanently fix the issue is with new lights.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
That's what I originally used on my last Isuzu.

From this:

But within 6 months, it was back to looking oxidized and foggy. It definitely works but I think the only way to permanently fix the issue is with new lights.
Yeah, you would think that they could come up with a plastic that could keep its clearness.
For years, DOT resisted allowing lights like are used today because of this problem. Foreign cars had these but had to retrofit before exporting to US. DOT relented a bit in the 80s and allowed rectangular lights. At that time there were basically only 4 types of lights. Dual or quad rounds and dual or quad rectangular. Now nearly any style is allowed.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Yeah, you would think that they could come up with a plastic that could keep its clearness.
For years, DOT resisted allowing lights like are used today because of this problem. Foreign cars had these but had to retrofit before exporting to US. DOT relented a bit in the 80s and allowed rectangular lights. At that time there were basically only 4 types of lights. Dual or quad rounds and dual or quad rectangular. Now nearly any style is allowed.
Real cars have round headlights and four-barrel carbs. :cool:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
But within 6 months, it was back to looking oxidized and foggy.
You've got to keep them waxed or coated with silicone to keep the air off and slow the oxidation. Once you try and restore the finish, it's a never ending process to keep it from coming back.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
You've got to keep them waxed or coated with silicone to keep the air off and slow the oxidation. Once you try and restore the finish, it's a never ending process to keep it from coming back.
Agreed. I had a 2000 Impala with faded and discolored headlights. I was going to buy a restorer kit but was told that this is the case. I opted instead to just replace the headlights. Of course the OEM headlights were almost $400 each from the dealership. Then I went to Rockauto.com and got them for about $50 each. I sold it a few months later, but it sure did look a lot better (and I got more money for it) with those new headlights.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.