Question: Best Cornerback in Saban Era?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Kirkpatrick and Milliner are about dead even to me. Like 1A and 1B. They both evolved into absolute LOCKDOWN CB's who could also support in run defense/Bubble Screen passes by running up and Clobbering/Tackling the runner close to wherever they initially received the ball. They had virtually no missed tackles in each of their respective final years on the team.

Most improved who was just a notch below them was probably Javy Arenas. He almost quit the team and then turned into a GREAT CB for us.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I was on an SEC board during the game, and even the Aubs were like "Why the hell are you throwing at Milliner?"
Well what was even worse is that their WR's were average at best. Tyler Eifert the TE was the only quality threat they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Dee had the better career and was more physical at the line of scrimmage. Somewhere, Denarius Moore is seconding that. Dre was very good his last season and I think a little better with his cover skills.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well I think Tony Brown has the potential to be better than all of them. He is my favorite freshman so far. The athleticism he has is INSANE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Agree with Milliner with Kirkpatrick close behind.
But, Arenas was clearly the most valuable player of all of them not just because he was a great returner but also because of his ability to blitz.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Dre and Dee were as physically talented as you'll ever see at the CB position and perfectly suited to be DBs as far as measurables are concerned. They were also mean dudes who reveled in the physicality of the game. I thought both showed great cover skills during their final seasons. I give the nod to Dee in cover skills because Dre would sometimes bite too hard and get burned badly. Neither had great ball skills...they couldn't get their heads around quickly enough. I realize CNS teaches them to deflect balls facing the receiver but if they were true ball hawks they would'v gone for the INT. As far as run support they were as good as you'll see at their position.

As far as most valuable player to play CB for us, my vote goes to Javy. He was only slightly less effective in coverage than Dre and Dee, had better ball skills, was invaluable as a punt returner, an important leader, and an effective blitzer.

Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey can be the best yet. They are true ball hawks, something we haven't had (at CB, that is) yet under CNS. Dre and Dee were elite athletes who learned to be great corners. Brown and, especially, Humphrey look to me like more natural corners. I feel that way about Eddie Jackson as well.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
What i think made Javy special was his ability to tackle and blitz. he knew how to take that right angle and pressure the QB on his blitzes. I actually think Dee had the best cover skills out of any so far. I remember speaking highly of him his freshman year when he was getting burned. He just wasnt ready mentally but i could see he would be a stud. What i like about Dre was the confidence. or as the young folks say, swag...That goes a long way at the CB position. But my pick for best would be Dee.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
My choice would be Milliner closely followed by Kirkpatrick. It's cool that they were both home state guys. All around value has to go to Javy, as others have said, he did so many things to help his team win.

Should they stay healthy, watching TB and MH over the next 3 years looks to be an absolute treat.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.