Linebacker U

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
What I don't understand is why Penn State gets that title. I've always felt Alabama has out out more quality LB's than they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Woodrow Lowe. Not only was he one of only two Alabama players selected as a 3 time All-American, (Bennett the other) I just love to say his name.

Once more, with feeling, WOODROW LOWE!!!
I had the pleasure of meeting Woodrow Lowe when I worked at the airport many years ago. He was a super nice guy and took time out to just talk to me for a little while. Even though I never saw him play college ball I remember him playing in the pros and hearing stories about how good he was in college.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If we had 4 on the field at the same time my Top 4 are Cornelius Bennett, Derrick Thomas, Rolando McClain, and Demeco Ryans. I've been a die hard fan since '83 when I was 5 years old and that's the best ones I've seen play.

One guy who is not on the list that I always loved because of how hard he hit somebody when he tackled them was Derrick Pope. Now I admit he's not a top All-Time guy at LB but it seemed every time he hit some poor fool you heard pads crack, bones rattle, and the other guys helmet almost came off. It sounded like a cannon going off when Pope hit somebody. Loved that guy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For the life of me, I have never understood how Penn State is called Linebacker U. Go look at their big names - LaVarr Arrington, Greg Buttle, Jack Ham, Shane Conlan.

Now look at OUR big names:
Woodrow Lowe
Derrick Thomas
Keith McCants
Cornelius Bennett
DeMeco Ryans (maybe memory is wrong but...didn't Ryans win offensive rookie or something?)
Dwayne Rudd
Lee Roy Jordan
Orlando McCain (ha ha)
Donta Hightower
EJ Junior
Barry Krauss

I mean - I don't get it.

I get USC being Tailback U and even (to a point) Miami being Quarterback U.

But Penn State? I'm sorry, I don't get it.

(This is hardly an exhaustive list of LBs that were awesome btw - for us).

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
For the life of me, I have never understood how Penn State is called Linebacker U. Go look at their big names - LaVarr Arrington, Greg Buttle, Jack Ham, Shane Conlan.

Woodrow Lowe
Derrick Thomas
Keith McCants
Cornelius Bennett
DeMeco Ryans (maybe memory is wrong but...didn't Ryans win offensive rookie or something?)
Dwayne Rudd
Lee Roy Jordan
Orlando McCain (ha ha)
Donta Hightower
EJ Junior
Barry Krauss

I mean - I don't get it.

to me its just another bias towards Alabama. we already have the greatest football tradition in the land and all the accolades that comes along with it, why would the media want to bestow another title on the Crimson Tide?? I could care less, UA has the best LBs in the history of the game and its not even close!!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Woodrow Lowe
Derrick Thomas
Keith McCants
Cornelius Bennett
Dwayne Rudd
Lee Roy Jordan
Orlando McCain (ha ha)
Donta Hightower
EJ Junior
Barry Krauss

I mean - I don't get it.

PSU was given that monikor in the '70's I believe and it does not hold up to our update LB's. We are the current and future Linebacker U.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
PSU was given that monikor in the '70's I believe and it does not hold up to our update LB's. We are the current and future Linebacker U.
Yeah well that is WAYY outdated. Alabama is head and shoulders above them in the past 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I had the pleasure of meeting Woodrow Lowe when I worked at the airport many years ago. He was a super nice guy and took time out to just talk to me for a little while. Even though I never saw him play college ball I remember him playing in the pros and hearing stories about how good he was in college.

Nice experience, sounds cool. I really hated when he was drafted by the Chargers, being a big Stabler/Raiders fan at the time. But for many a year he was a dominant tackling machine even in the NFL. An aggressive player who I believe still holds the single season record for tackles in a season at Alabama. He was apart of 4 straight SEC championships and one NC. In the golden era of the wishbone he was a bad dude, on the field.

My all time starting Bama LBs, I run a 3-4:
Woodrow Lowe
Cornelius Bennett
Leroy Jordan
Derrick Thomas

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Nice experience, sounds cool. I really hated when he was drafted by the Chargers, being a big Stabler/Raiders fan at the time. But for many a year he was a dominant tackling machine even in the NFL. An aggressive player who I believe still holds the single season record for tackles in a season at Alabama. He was apart of 4 straight SEC championships and one NC. In the golden era of the wishbone he was a bad dude, on the field.

My all time starting Bama LBs, I run a 3-4:
Woodrow Lowe
Cornelius Bennett
Leroy Jordan
Derrick Thomas
I am going to go with your four picks too. Funny thing about Woodrow Lowe though is I thing he was coaching for your Raiders when I met him.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
jordan, bennett, thomas to me are no-brainers but rasheed should be a choice here despite his post-football life. wouldn't hit my top 6 but he'd be #7

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Not in the same league physically perhaps, but I remember #54 Mike Hall. Played 1966-68. Picture-perfect form tackling, hard hitting, extreme nose for the football, and oh yeah, caught passes as a tight end from time to time (wearing #84). He was not flashy, just did what Coach asked. Disciplined, never seemed to be out of position. He blasted people over the middle. Then he just got up and walked back to the huddle to do it again. A winner.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Leroy Jordan and C. J. Moseley are my all time favorites. Both moved from sideline to sideline very effectively.

Jordan playing against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl with JFK in attendance. I'm not sure any other linebacker has
played that OUTSTANDING a game in the Crimson Tide's storied history.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Leroy Jordan and C. J. Moseley are my all time favorites. Both moved from sideline to sideline very effectively.

Jordan playing against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl with JFK in attendance. I'm not sure any other linebacker has
played that OUTSTANDING a game in the Crimson Tide's storied history.
I believe Leroy had 31 tackles in that game. Coach Bryant said something like "if they stay in bounds Leroy will get them".

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Not in the same league physically perhaps, but I remember #54 Mike Hall. Played 1966-68. Picture-perfect form tackling, hard hitting, extreme nose for the football, and oh yeah, caught passes as a tight end from time to time (wearing #84). He was not flashy, just did what Coach asked. Disciplined, never seemed to be out of position. He blasted people over the middle. Then he just got up and walked back to the huddle to do it again. A winner.
Their are others, like Hall, that you'd have to have seen play. Dubose wasn't bad either as a middle LB. I remember seeing Barry Krauss hit people on special teams and thinking he'd do something great for us one day, which he did.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Help my failing memory, please: Who were the linebackers on the 1992 defense?

ditto on the props for Mike Hall that someone said earlier.

Oh, for those who are talking about Jordan, it's Lee Roy, not Leroy. I think :smile:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.