Louisiana GOP candidate who pushes for abstinence only ed learns it doesn't work

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I might be missing something, but the bill linked in the article is not abstinence only. I see this in the bill:
The education shall include ... A focused priority on the superior health benefits of sexual abstinence, ensuring that any information provided on contraception does not exaggerate its effectiveness in preventing sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancies.
In fact, the website linked above replaced the word "education" in the actual title of the bill with "only."

from richarddawkins.net said:
In 2013 he co-sponsored the Abstinence-Only Reallocation Act which would award school’s state money for abstinence-only education programs.
actual title of bill said:
S. 13: Abstinence Education Reallocation Act of 2013
Stuff like this infuriates me. There are so many actual events of stupidity - especially in politics - why do they have to dramatize it in a way that misrepresents the individual and bill? If you think he's a nutjob for just advocating abstinence, fine. But at least call it what it is. Because even most advocates of teaching abstinence are not "abstinence-only" advocates because that is a stupid idea. Teaching abstinence, however, should be part of education programs in sexual health for teens.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I might be missing something, but the bill linked in the article is not abstinence only. I see this in the bill:

In fact, the website linked above replaced the word "education" in the actual title of the bill with "only."

Stuff like this infuriates me. There are so many actual events of stupidity - especially in politics - why do they have to dramatize it in a way that misrepresents the individual and bill? If you think he's a nutjob for just advocating abstinence, fine. But at least call it what it is. Because even most advocates of teaching abstinence are not "abstinence-only" advocates because that is a stupid idea. Teaching abstinence, however, should be part of education programs in sexual health for teens.
Yep, that's pretty damn shady and misleading just to fit a narrative.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Stuff like this infuriates me. There are so many actual events of stupidity - especially in politics - why do they have to dramatize it in a way that misrepresents the individual and bill?
Absolutely. We need to be talking about matters of substance, like how the guy looks like he belongs in a road company of Deliverance.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Seems like abstinence would have suited this young woman well. Too bad the message didn't stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Seems like abstinence would have suited this young woman well. Too bad the message didn't stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it almost never does, but hey if we keep throwing money at it and being hopeful maybe someday it will?

http://www.siecus.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.ViewPage&PageID=1195

What the Research Says…
Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs

Over the past 25 years, Congress has spent over $1.5 billion on abstinence-only-until-marriage programs, yet no study in a professional peer-reviewed journal has found these programs to be broadly effective. Scientific evidence simply does not support an abstinence-only-until-marriage approach.
Federal Evaluation Finds Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs Ineffective
In April 2007, a federally funded evaluation of Title V abstinence-only-until-marriage programs was released. The study, conducted by Mathematica Policy Research Inc. on behalf of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, found that abstinence-only-until-marriage programs are ineffective. Of the more than 700 federally funded abstinence-only-until-marriage programs, the evaluation looked at only four programs. These programs were handpicked to show positive results and they still failed.[1]

Mathematica’s evaluation found no evidence that abstinence-only-until-marriage programs increased rates of sexual abstinence—the entire supposed purpose of the programs.
Students in the abstinence-only-until-marriage programs had a similar age of first sex and similar numbers of sexual partners as their peers who were not in the programs.
The average age of sexual debut was the same for the abstinence-only-until-marriage participants and control groups (14 years, 9 months).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.