Need some car bodywork help

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Certified used programs. Have to buy from the dealer and still pay a premium over private sale but you get the extended factory warranty as an enticement. Most manufacturers offer them. Especially the German ones that I prefer :) (and before the buy American comments come out the wifes car was built just outside Tuscaloosa)
so is that the car she drives to pick up the food stamps? ;)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Jessica another option to consider is this. I recently bought a demo model. It still qualifies as new as far as warranty and loan %, but because someone at the dealership drove it for 5k miles, I got it for a little more than 20% off "brand new" price. Good luck and if you do decide to buy either new or demo, go at the very end of the month ... if they need to make quota and haven't you can get a much better deal then.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The last car I bought, for the wife was 2 years old with 50K miles on it (now 135K) and had an original sticker price of $65k, I paid $26k. Came with a 6 year 100k mile warranty which covered all the issues and free oil changes for life.
Damn. Was it a GL? I had no idea a Benz had a 100k 6 yr warranty either....

Where around town did you end up finding the best deal if you don't mind me asking? My wife has been lobbying hard for a SUV. We are going to have to go the used route. I've bought new cars, but luxury SUV's with the options we'd want take it into a whole price range I don't want to deal with.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
What kind of insurance do you have?

If you file to have it fixed, you might lose some claim free discounts too.
I currently have Alfa, but my policy is up on the 19th. I will be switching to State Farm after that. I dropped collision and comprehensive on this vehicle though so that won't help me anyway.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Just saying - if your car gets crushed in what would be a comp claim - say a tree falls on it - then you're out a car with no coverage. I understand not having the coverage to save on cash (I've done it before), but there's a risk that comes along with it.
Yeah, it's a judgement call. My 1998 F150 has a blue book value of around $800. That's all the insurance would pay. I carry liability only. My other truck is a nice 08 and I have full coverage. In Alabama if the cost of repair claim exceeds 75% of the book value the vehicle the vehicle must be totaled. A $600 claim would total my 98 truck. No way I could replace it for that.

As for used cars, I think that is a very good way to go. My wife's Ford Explorer was totaled a few years back. We bought a very nice 4 year old, mint condition, 70,000 mile fully loaded Eddie Bauer Explorer for $13000. A new one would have been over $40,000. I can buy 3 used ones for that. With Ford if a Ford vehicle has under 80,000 miles you can buy a Ford extended warranty on the internet or from any Ford dealer. Even if you didn't buy the Ford from a Ford dealer. Covers about everything. Ran about $1500. Insurance is lower to on used cars because the value is less..

Cars are pricey in Huntsville. The internet is wonderful for car shopping. Bought the Explorer in Jasper and my truck in Tennessee.

I will probably never buy another brand new car. I would certainly buy the first production year of any vehicle. Too many bugs. 3rd year is good.

As far as your money, Jessica, buy used and invest the rest. A good investment would be the Lost Aztec Gold Mine of Maysville. A little start up capital from you and we will both be feelthy rich.;)

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
First off, it depends on what kind of parts you authorize the shop to use: meaning there are new OEM, Used OEM and aftermarket. If it's just the bumper cover I'd suggest aftermarket or used OEM depending on cost. If you use Used OEM or aftermarket you should be looking at appx $500.00 (maybe a little less depending on the cost of the part. Should be only about 1.5 hrs of repair time if it is just the cover and no paint needed. Paint will obviously drive up the cost a little more.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Yeah, it's a judgement call. My 1998 F150 has a blue book value of around $800. That's all the insurance would pay. I carry liability only. My other truck is a nice 08 and I have full coverage. In Alabama if the cost of repair claim exceeds 75% of the book value the vehicle the vehicle must be totaled. A $600 claim would total my 98 truck. No way I could replace it for that.

As for used cars, I think that is a very good way to go. My wife's Ford Explorer was totaled a few years back. We bought a very nice 4 year old, mint condition, 70,000 mile fully loaded Eddie Bauer Explorer for $13000. A new one would have been over $40,000. I can buy 3 used ones for that. With Ford if a Ford vehicle has under 80,000 miles you can buy a Ford extended warranty on the internet or from any Ford dealer. Even if you didn't buy the Ford from a Ford dealer. Covers about everything. Ran about $1500. Insurance is lower to on used cars because the value is less..

Cars are pricey in Huntsville. The internet is wonderful for car shopping. Bought the Explorer in Jasper and my truck in Tennessee.

I will probably never buy another brand new car. I would certainly buy the first production year of any vehicle. Too many bugs. 3rd year is good.

As far as your money, Jessica, buy used and invest the rest. A good investment would be the Lost Aztec Gold Mine of Maysville. A little start up capital from you and we will both be feelthy rich.;)

I'll let you know if I hit it rich with that. Haha.

But on a serious note, I tend to drive the Jeep more so than this one so I got just about everything besides medical. I don't want something happening to this vehicle because it will be harder to replace.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.