Tennessee committed recruit embraces rivalry, calls out Alabama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He bleeds orange, and I love his spirit, but that isn't the way to beat Alabama. Hard work and solid recruiting classes are required.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
i have no problem with this. he probably could have gone about it differently, but i have nothing against someone being confident in themself or their team. it's not like he really crossed any lines or anything with that statement. after all, everyone is undefeated in the spring!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm going to (slightly) hijack the thread here for a second because this act by this (probably nice) young guy reminds me of how many people never "got it" when it came to the thuggery and trash talking of Miami.

I'm sure a lot of you remember some two decades or so ago when the University of Miami Hurricanes developed a reputation for trash talking and mockery that was second to none. It was featured in the "30 for 30" about "The U" and even then there was that phony pretense of "not getting it."

Several newspapers and magazines back in the day liked to suggest that calling Miami such names was "racism" and "people didn't understand hip hop culture" and all manner of nonsense. Then they would always go two routes: 1) there was the obligatory mention of Larry Bird as "one of the biggest trash talkers of all-time" (thus removing the "it's a black thing" claim); and 2) the claim that Miami's opponents did the same stuff on the field.

Note the last prepositional phrase - "on the field." NONE OF US knows what is said on the field - fans in the stands don't even know unless they're up close. The Miami apologists never understood this distinction - there is a difference between insulting a guy's manhood on the field during the game and taking a microphone and telling the entire world what a pansy your opponent is (not the word but keeping it clean for TF). Eric Curry jawed as much on the field (and so did George Teague) as Lamar Thomas - but there is a PERCEPTUAL DIFFERENCE in what is not heard from down on the field and grabbing a microphone and shooting off one's mouth about - both before and after the game - about how your opponent is an unworthy adversary.

Nowadays it has become the social media thing. You don't have to find a mic - just tap in 140 characters. Larry Bird (and other guys) may have talked smack on the court, but you never saw Bird (or for that matter - in general - players NOT from Miami) getting up and running down their opponents both before and after the game, even when they lost. (After we beat Miami, Lamar Thomas actually went on TV and said our "secondary" had proved "they were just average" - I'm serious, I have it on tape).

Hijack over. But it sure will be interesting.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I'm not at all impressed with any 18 year olds tweets, etc. etc...But I do hope the "heat" of the Bama UT rivalry comes back. Nothing I hate more than a T fan saying we don't have a chance against you guys...and that has been happening a lot lately.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
UT fans are getting pretty mouthy with their recent recruiting. It's a good reminder of why I don't like em.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
If twitter, Facebook, smartphones and screen shots were around when my generation was 18 you'd have seen and heard a lot more of this.

I think the UT coach will build them into a 8 win team. The east has been down so now is the time, IMO.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
The young man needs to realize that the last time that happened, he was in about the 5th grade and Mike Shula was our coach.

Things are a tad different these days.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
UT fans are getting pretty mouthy with their recent recruiting. It's a good reminder of why I don't like em.
I'm glad the UT fans have their little Errange hopes up again. Only because they'll be all the more soul crushed when they lose by 30 - again.

Btw, I didn't need a mouthy recruit to remind me I hate Tennessee. I never stopped. ;)

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
I'm not at all impressed with any 18 year olds tweets, etc. etc...But I do hope the "heat" of the Bama UT rivalry comes back. Nothing I hate more than a T fan saying we don't have a chance against you guys...and that has been happening a lot lately.
Getting the "heat" back translates into we have to lose once in a while. I'm just fine with the situation as it stand. Lose to UT ths year and you wiiil understand although that will certainly bring the "heat" back into the series.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Getting the "heat" back translates into we have to lose once in a while. I'm just fine with the situation as it stand. Lose to UT ths year and you wiiil understand although that will certainly bring the "heat" back into the series.
Who said anything about losing to them? I want them to believe with every ounce of their hearts they can and will beat us...Then they will be that much more disappointed! In case you don't know, a lot of folks remember phat phil real well and dislike them as much or more than anyone else we play. I'm one of 'em.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.