Tennessee committed recruit embraces rivalry, calls out Alabama

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Cecil Hurt would be glad to know that Butcher, despite not being from the state of Tennessee, understands the intensity involved in the Alabama-Tennessee rivalry.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Oh lawd, here we go again. I admire his confidence but don't poke a sleeping bear. UT commit DE Andrew Butcher and his boys are going to whip Bama's rear. :rolleyes:

"I can't wait to beat Alabama's arse with my boys"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/tennessee_committed_recruit_em.html#incart_river
Since 1985, Tennessee's record against Alabama teams NOT on probation (in large part BECAUSE of Tennessee's head coach) is 4-14-1, and all four of those wins were in 1998-2001 when we had OTHER turmoil - he might want to work on a new speech.

Not that I'm into excuses, but I AM saying that when it's been a level playing field, Tennessee rarely wins. So Butcher might ought to be rehearsing his "wait 'til next year" speech, and then he can go work on his future speech as a Tennessee defensive coach in charge of water breaks that basically says "you know, we never beat them when I was here..."

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I like comments like this. The prevalence of this type of attitude indicates to me that Butch is just selling these guys on Gene Chizik's inherent pitch: Greatness by merely showing up. And it just simply does not work that way, even though that can be a persuasive recruiting pitch to certain kids.

He, and others who share notions like that, will be in for a world of surprise early next August he puts his hand in the dirt for the first time. It's just not that easy.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Cecil Hurt would be glad to know that Butcher, despite not being from the state of Tennessee, understands the intensity involved in the Alabama-Tennessee rivalry.
I'd bet he doesn't know the first thing about the history of Alabama v. Tennessee. What he knows is that Alabama has been the college football program for much of his life. He probably doesn't know anything about Bryant, Neyland, Stallings, etc., but everyone can understand 70+ wins and three national championships in a six year span.

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'd bet he doesn't know the first thing about the history of Alabama v. Tennessee. What he knows is that Alabama has been the college football program for much of his life. He probably doesn't know anything about Bryant, Neyland, Stallings, etc., but everyone can understand 70+ wins and three national championships in a six year span.
His father is Reggie McKenzie, the current manager of the Oakland Raiders and former LB for UT from 1981 to 1984. I believe he probably does have some knowledge of the Bama Tenn rivalry.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
It only goes to show you how stupid some recruits are these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Lol we've one 7 straight over those clowns and only one of the games were competitive. Hubris at its finest.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I bet there are a bunch of things ya'll said and did when you were 18 and cringe in later years remembering your foolhardiness. I know I do. The only difference here is that this boy's ill-advised rant is in the media. I'm glad this young man has confidence, perhaps a bit too much it can be said.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I wish every team we played had lots of players popping off like this.

It's so much better for the team than listening to ESPN talk about which NFL teams we'd beat.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.