Anyone else concerned with Ole Sis and Mitthtippy Tate this year

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
NOPE...
I'm more concerned about our guys showing up and playing their best.
I'm more concerned about lost oppertunities due to silly mistakes.

We do our part, and Ole Sis, and that other Bulldog school will assume the position...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's the year we held them to 19 yards in the first half. The best half of defense I've ever seen in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That I remember too. Though we were up 16-0 at the half.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
I was there and saw it in person. My only time to see a game in Oxford.

As usual, OM lost the game but won the party in the Grove.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Ole Miss could be quite tricky, honestly. It's a road game, relatively early in the season, and it will be seven days after we face a very physical opponent in Florida. I tend to think we'll make it through, but if our pass defense issues aren't addressed by then, that one could very well turn into a nailbiter. It's certainly possible that we may have to score a lot of points to get out of Oxford with the win. Unless Florida really gets it together offensively, the Ole Miss game is probably the toughest game we'll have before making the trip to Baton Rouge.

MSU is the same story, different year to me. I don't view them as much of a threat, but we'll probably win ugly in a relatively close game like usual. We'll be physically beaten up and emotionally drained after LSU, and MSU will be, as always, fired up just because so many players on their roster have a deep grudge against Alabama for passing them over on the recruiting trails. Doesn't help matters that MSU gets vaunted UT-Martin the week before, so they will be fresh, rested, and well prepared. Still have a hard time seeing them score enough points to beat us, though. Anemic offense just about always kills MSU, and I figure the same holds true again this year. See, for example, De'Runnya Wilson's hands-of-stone in the fourth quarter last season.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
A lot of noise from the local MSU types; less from the local Ole Miss types. This is typically the case in my experience living in MS=>the Bulldog folks are very loud most years in July & August, & the Rebel folks aren't. (note: potential small sample bias behind those results, but as noted here before by me, give me a stadium full of Rebel fans over 3-4 average Bulldog fans any day.)

My boss--one of the all-too-rare quiet MSU fans/grads--is nervous. Their 3 sons all are students at MSU now, & both spouses are MSU grads from a few decades back. The boss says that every single time they're talked up by the media in the summer, something bad happens & they revert to form by not being very good.

My son the 2X Ole Miss grad thinks they're at best a year away from competing with Bama & LSU.

(Aside: Why'd a lifelong Bama fan/multiple-time Bama grad & wife--also a UA grad--send a son to Ole Miss? Look up the rankings for the UA School of Pharmacy. OK, save yourself a couple of seconds; we don't have one. FWIW, he had the college experience every parent dreams of for their child, and now has a very significant job because of it.)

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Ole Miss on the road will definitely be one of our tougher games. MSU plays us tough, but I'd put them on the lower half of schedule in terms of difficulty (LSU, AU, UF, OM, A&M, Tenn (a lot of young guys playing with nothing to lose at home), MSU, WVU, Arky, and the last 3 tie dead last.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think MSU will beat us this year, but they can give us some problems. Here's one reason they may gives us those problems:

@RussMitchellCFB #State returning 5 of top 6 LBs & 8 top DL. Mullen's going to have perhaps the deepest front 7 in his time at MSU #SECMD14

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Ole Miss could be quite tricky, honestly. It's a road game, relatively early in the season, and it will be seven days after we face a very physical opponent in Florida. I tend to think we'll make it through, but if our pass defense issues aren't addressed by then, that one could very well turn into a nailbiter. It's certainly possible that we may have to score a lot of points to get out of Oxford with the win. Unless Florida really gets it together offensively, the Ole Miss game is probably the toughest game we'll have before making the trip to Baton Rouge.

MSU is the same story, different year to me. I don't view them as much of a threat, but we'll probably win ugly in a relatively close game like usual. We'll be physically beaten up and emotionally drained after LSU, and MSU will be, as always, fired up just because so many players on their roster have a deep grudge against Alabama for passing them over on the recruiting trails. Doesn't help matters that MSU gets vaunted UT-Martin the week before, so they will be fresh, rested, and well prepared. Still have a hard time seeing them score enough points to beat us, though. Anemic offense just about always kills MSU, and I figure the same holds true again this year. See, for example, De'Runnya Wilson's hands-of-stone in the fourth quarter last season.
That right there sums it up. Having to play Miss State right after LSU is what makes it harder. Still though all they can do is keep it close. Alabama would have to help them out in order for them to win. IE turnovers and dumb penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
That right there sums it up. Having to play Miss State right after LSU is what makes it harder. Still though all they can do is keep it close. Alabama would have to help them out in order for them to win. IE turnovers and dumb penalties.
If we didn't have to play MSU the week after LSU, and if MSU didn't recruit a ton of MS / AL kids who really wanted to come to Alabama, we would blow them out of the water with ease more often than not. Just never going to be that way, though.

And you're right on turnovers and dumb penalties, and if you think back on it historically, that it how we've just about always let them beat us (see 2007, 1996, 1980, etc.). Otherwise, unless it's just a really down year for us, they just don't have the horses to get it done.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The most MSU has scored is 10 points since 2008.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
and ole miss has 3, 10, 7, 14 and 0 the last five years. each of those years i remember hand wringing in the summer about how tough the ole miss game would be that year.

i rarely worry/care about either of those games until kick-off

and ole miss has 3, 10, 7, 14 and 0 the last five years. each of those years i remember hand wringing in the summer about how tough the ole miss game would be that year.

i rarely worry/care about either of those games until kick-off
I think Ole Sis will be taking a step back this year, even with the talent they have though. They woke a sleeping bear last season.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.