More than one-third of Gamecocks’ 2014 recruiting class may not qualify

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

What was once a robust 2014 recruiting class for South Carolina could look rather sparse once summer camp rolls around early next month.

In a conversation earlier this week, assistant coach Steve Spurrier Jr. conceded to Josh Kendall of The State that eight of the Gamecocks 2014 signees have yet to meet the academic qualifications to enroll in the school. Not only that, but three of the eight — defensive ends Dante Sawyer, Kalan Ritchie and Jhaustin Thomas — have either already announced they are headed to the JUCO ranks (the first two) or have whiffed on signing with the Gamecocks twice (Thomas signed with USC out of high school and, after failing to qualify initially, JUCO).
That's gonna hurt.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Guess ol ball coach should have played less golf and worked a little longer to check those grades. Coach Saban does.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
"Cornerbacks Wesley Green, Chris Lammons and Darin Smalls, fullback Joe Blue and defensive tackle Dexter Wideman still are trying to meet qualifying standards in time to join the Gamecocks in August."

LINK

Impact newcomers: Eastern Division

"Wesley Green, CB, South Carolina: The Gamecocks needed reinforcements at cornerback, and Green shouldn't have to wait long to get on the field. He and fellow ESPN 300 prospect Chris Lammons are both good bets to factor prominently in the South Carolina secondary this coming season."

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/po...astern-division

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Guess ol ball coach should have played less golf and worked a little longer to check those grades. Coach Saban does.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great point! But on the positive for Spurrier, he took 2 strokes off his handicap.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Maybe, as wonderful as he is in reaching his maximum potential as a coach, he should do his homework about kids who don't do their homework.
A few of these guys liked Bama a lot and Bama recruited them early....Sawyer had Bama on top for a long time and many thought he would commit to Bama early on, but Bama dropped off, and this explains why now. Bama was in on Lammons for awhile too....but also dropped off.

So it is easy to tell that Coach Saban does his homework......

The 2015 WR Durante that is committed to West Va, wanted to commit to Bama after Junior day it seems. Reports are Durante has some grade issues, and if that is the case, that is the reason, he is not on the commitment list. So the Bama staff does its homework....pun intended. The Bama staff only gets about 2 weeks to play golf or fish or whatever......Superior is golfing everyday. I cant say which is the best life(some enjoy working and some enjoy playing), but I can sure see which way produces the best football.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
That is likely good news for the OBC, fewer players to coach up equals more time on the links. As good a duffer as he seems to think he is, I'm surprised he hasn't quit football in favor of the Senior Tour. Lots of money available, less pressure, and he can play 18 nearly everyday. All the same, I'll be hoping he beats the barn this fall even though his history at USCe indicates he will not.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I can see Spurrier's reaction - he throws his visor on the ground and then gets back to the 7th hole. But, I think there's a good chance he doesn't know this yet. I mean, it's still summer break.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.