Jarran Reed arrested for DUI

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm with TideMom, this stuff is why I try to refrain from chucking rocks in my all glass rancher. The guy looked wasted.

tidegrandpa

All-American
The good news is we are loaded at DE with A'Shawn, Liner, Allen, Tomlinson, Pettway & Hand. Put Reed at the bottom of the depth chart and work 3x as hard as the others to get on the field. We've all been college kids and made stupid choices and with those choices come consequences. It is a privilege to play at BAMA and IMO getting arrested means you lost that privilege for the time being.
My days at Bama were full of choices, I had to decide which one to afford, drink or drive, electric or water, beer or food. DUI's were out of the question for this Po Boy.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
I feel as if I'm playing Devil's Advocate here but anyway:

Why does off the field trouble always translate into restricting playing time-- on the field. So instead of taking away playing time why not take away free time? Make the player do community service, send him to support groups, show him consequences to his actions (the Cowboys player that drove drunk and killed his teammate). I'm just saying let the punishment fit the crime.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Why does off the field trouble always translate into restricting playing time-- on the field. So instead of taking away playing time why not take away free time? Make the player do community service, send him to support groups, show him consequences to his actions (the Cowboys player that drove drunk and killed his teammate). I'm just saying let the punishment fit the crime.
Saban does all of the above and it, in most circumstances cost playing time too. There are consequences that Coach Saban enforces that we never see or hear about.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
if i had a vote, he would be off the team for this. some will think this is extreme, but i don't care about your opinion. this is not "just a stupid mistake". Misspelling a word is a mistake. Turning left when you should have turned right is a mistake. Showing up late is a mistake. This is a crime that could have ended very badly for him or someone else. Somebody said it earlier in the thread what if he killed somebody while driving drunk. I have zero tolerance for this behavior. I used to drink heavily and even on my worst day, I never once drove afterwards. When my dad was a teenager he and his best friend went out drinking and then drove home. They had a horrible crash and my dad"s friend was killed. My dad had to live with that his whole life. He was tormented by it. Practically beat it into his kid's heads to always call if I was too drunk to drive.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Exactly, this is why I don't bother commenting on threads about other schools. They have problem players....we have problem players. It is what it is.
I think it's a little much to label Reed a "problem player" for this. I've known plenty of good people to make dumb decisions. Unless Reed gets into more trouble after this, I'd say this was just a lapse in judgment (albeit a serious one)...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

because, despite the university and ncaa lines to the contrary, at major football schools they are there to enhance their chances of becoming professional football players and to return revenue to the athletic department...they aren't there to be students or good members of the community.

taking away playing time is like suspending an employee without pay...it punishes them for hurting the corporate image, for decreasing productivity, etc., and it hurts them professionally.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The idea is to prevent recurrence. In this case, it's a little harder because Reed was fortunate enough not to have had a wreck or worse. So you also need for him to understand the gravity of what he did.

For punishment, you take away the thing the offender values most -- in the case of a football player with NFL aspirations, it's playing time.

To help him understand the gravity of the offense, Saban often does the other things you suggest...community service, riding with police on a Saturday night, etc.

I'd also offer that there are degrees of drunkenness, and as much emotion as there is in the advocacy for zero tolerance, they pose different levels of threat.

If he blew .09%, that wouldn't have even been DWI when I was in school. But as another poster already observed, he looks pretty intoxicated in the mugshot. If he blew .15% or higher, he posed an entirely different level of danger to the public and himself. If it was .20%, I don't know how he put one foot in front of the other to get to the car in the first place.

If I were in Saban's shoes, the degree of drunkeness would figure into the punishment.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Being a Platoon Sergeant responsible for around 25 Soldiers, most of them younger than 22-24 years old, I can't say I'm surprised. It's sort of how my weekends go, especially the long ones. Who is going to do what next? Sheesh...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I think it's a little much to label Reed a "problem player" for this. I've known plenty of good people to make dumb decisions. Unless Reed gets into more trouble after this, I'd say this was just a lapse in judgment (albeit a serious one)...

That wasn't my point. It was the point of how every team has situations like these, so don't be shocked when it happens to us.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The idea is to prevent recurrence. In this case, it's a little harder because Reed was fortunate enough not to have had a wreck or worse. So you also need for him to understand the gravity of what he did.

For punishment, you take away the thing the offender values most -- in the case of a football player with NFL aspirations, it's playing time.

To help him understand the gravity of the offense, Saban often does the other things you suggest...community service, riding with police on a Saturday night, etc.

I'd also offer that there are degrees of drunkenness, and as much emotion as there is in the advocacy for zero tolerance, they pose different levels of threat.

If he blew .09%, that wouldn't have even been DWI when I was in school. But as another poster already observed, he looks pretty intoxicated in the mugshot. If he blew .15% or higher, he posed an entirely different level of danger to the public and himself. If it was .20%, I don't know how he put one foot in front of the other to get to the car in the first place.

If I were in Saban's shoes, the degree of drunkeness would figure into the punishment.
I'd agree with this. In some states you can test positive for DUI if you've taken cough syrup.
I'm not condoning the behavior at all and he'll most certainly suffer the consequences, but I agree the the alcohol level should be taken into consideration.
sip

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Not getting the message boar heroics here. He won't be kicked off the team. Discipline will be handlers internally and we may or may not ever here of it.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I will be glad when the degree of punishment a player receives will be determined by a set, made in concrete rule by the ncaa where it will be fair for all concerned, and not set by the coaches depending on how valuable to the team that player is to his team. J. Reed will most likely receive a harsher punishment because he is surrounded by talent than per se a starting QB on a team that depends on that player as to whether or not they have a winning season. Seems we all go through this same scenario every year and then gripe because one player will receive almost no punishment, when another player for the same crime will receive devastating punishment.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
This is worse than being "cited" for pot. DUI is like using a deadly weapon on the streets. Too many die from this and they are usually the persons in the other car, not the idiot drinking and driving. I hope Coach comes down hard on this stupid kid.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Calm down. I think right now We can see Reed suspended for a while, possible Miss two or three games. We know he'll be deep in depth when fall camp starts and it'll be hard for him to climb up. But He won't get kicked off the team, if he did, then Dillion Lee should've got kicked off as well.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
if i had a vote, he would be off the team for this.........

They had a horrible crash and my dad"s friend was killed. My dad had to live with that his whole life. He was tormented by it. Practically beat it into his kid's heads to always call if I was too drunk to drive. .
Some of these young men don't even have a dad in their lives. Saban will usually work with a young man if he has the right attitude and can be taught the right things to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.