News Article: Time for Saban to send message to players

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Hmm. Selena Roberts has that same byline.

Are we going to toss out her pointing out all the corruption over there, too?

And btw, he's listed as an "Alabama reporter."
Who is Selena Roberts? If she writes about the barn, then I don't read her. I don't have an issue with him being an "Alabama reporter", but please tell me what he was "reporting" - all I found was an opinion, which I happen not to agree with. So, with there being no news in his article, I'm left with the feeling he is stirring the pot (aka trolling) and I'd say that regardless of his alma mater.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Who is Selena Roberts? If she writes about the barn, then I don't read her. I don't have an issue with him being an "Alabama reporter", but please tell me what he was "reporting" - all I found was an opinion, which I happen not to agree with. So, with there being no news in his article, I'm left with the feeling he is stirring the pot (aka trolling) and I'd say that regardless of his alma mater.

He is a reporter/columist for ESPN - assigned to cover Alabama football. He does both things.

He used to write for the Tuscaloosa News, and once upon time, that meant something Alabama fans, but apparently not anymore.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So, if he gets rid of a player, they got "processed" and if he doesn't, it's "leniency". Some people want to find him at fault no matter what he does. If anyone thinks Saban isn't a disciplinarian, I think they haven't been paying any attention.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If DUI is DUI, than as the article suggest, Dillion Lee, Reed and whoever is senseless enough to get behind the wheel while intoxicated should pay the exact same price for the same crime. I would agree and feel that is fair.

Frankly, kids are going to drink. Who's going to stop that? Who would even try or half care as long as they're otherwise behaving? But why get your drunken butt behind the wheel and drive? Nobody really cares how you get your drunken butt home, just don't get behind the wheel, stupid!!

Why that much stupidity? I would do whatever was in my power as head football coach to send that message and that message alone. Quit driving, stupid.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If DUI is DUI, than as the article suggest, Dillion Lee, Reed and whoever is senseless enough to get behind the wheel while intoxicated should pay the exact same price for the same crime. I would agree and feel that is fair.

Frankly, kids are going to drink. Who's going to stop that? Who would even try or half care as long as they're otherwise behaving? But why get your drunken butt behind the wheel and drive? Nobody really cares how you get your drunken butt home, just don't get behind the wheel, stupid!!

Why that much stupidity? I would do whatever was in my power as head football coach to send that message and that message alone. Quit driving, stupid.
I'd agree with that.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I think the punishment should fit the crime. If the next player to mess up is arrested for jay-walking should he be thrown off the team and lose his scholarship? Of course not. Saban disciplines as well as any coach around. I thought the article was a little off the wall.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Why wasn't this article writer towards the barn??? Uninspiring artiticle...you could fit the barn players, UGA, uf, etc. and coach in the same write up with find/replace function. Bama is a great target. I love that they still talk about us and hate us. It means we're doing it right!!

RTR

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Why wasn't this article writer towards the barn??? Uninspiring artiticle...you could fit the barn players, UGA, uf, etc. and coach in the same write up with find/replace function.Bama is a great target. I love that they still talk about us and hate us. It means we're doing it right!!

RTR

Alex Scarborough didn't write about AU, UGA, UF, etc. because he's paid to write about Alabama for a living. That's his job. We're not his target - we're his professional responsibility.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Alex Scarborough didn't write about AU, UGA, UF, etc. because he's paid to write about Alabama for a living. That's his job. We're not his target - we're his professional responsibility.
Yes it's opinion piece, maybe wrong, but an opinion. Dring the season I post on the News Blog, many informative articles by him, about Bama. On Sundays after game day he posts videos of key plays of the game, mostly Bama. This guys cred with Bama is impeccable. Check out the archives if you don't believe it!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think you have to handle each case separately, depending on the circumstances, and discipline accordingly.
You can't kick "the next guy who screws up" off the team simply because he was the next guy to screw up.
Emotionally, the first reaction by many fans and journalists is, "This has to stop", but in this culture of today, it's not going to.
Coach Saban has handled these scenarios pretty darn well and I trust that he'll handle this one as well.
sip
I basically agree with Sip on this. I think everyone who can hear or read knows that drinking and driving will not be tolerated in this society and justifiably so. I have done it on more occasions than I would admit, even after I was a student. Poor decisions on the part of Reed and Lee, certainly. When someone is killed, simply saying it was a poor decision does not cut it. IMO both players should be suspended for the upcoming season and any further disciplinary problems should result in permanent suspension. If they want to suffer the consequences and return next year then I am fine with that.

Like most on here I am confident CNS will handle this properly.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I basically agree with Sip on this. I think everyone who can hear or read knows that drinking and driving will not be tolerated in this society and justifiably so. I have done it on more occasions than I would admit, even after I was a student. Poor decisions on the part of Reed and Lee, certainly. When someone is killed, simply saying it was a poor decision does not cut it. IMO both players should be suspended for the upcoming season and any further disciplinary problems should result in permanent suspension. If they want to suffer the consequences and return next year then I am fine with that.

Dillon Lee got his DUI in an apartment complex parking lot as part of a police report on a car wreck. We have no idea what his BAC was, and it's silly to talk of suspending him for an entire season.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I've done it too GrayTide. That's why I can't pass judgement so quickly.
What's that saying, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".
I believe in that.
It's almost like, "Let he who didn't get pulled over, when they did the same exact thing, cast hypocritical stones".
I can't do it, and won't.
I was wrong. He's wrong.
But we can't throw him under the bus for being a dumb college student.
At some point in time, we all were.
Self righteousness isn't a place we need to go right now, cause that's just wrong.
I agree with you that Coach S. will handle it.
Roll Tide.
sip

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
I believe in that.
It's almost like, "Let he who didn't get pulled over, when they did the same exact thing, cast hypocritical stones".
I was wrong. He's wrong.
Self righteousness isn't a place we need to go right now, cause that's just wrong.
Roll Tide.
sip
Yes that's the bottom line, Coach Saban will definitely handle it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I believe in that.
I was wrong. He's wrong.
Roll Tide.
sip
Well stated, sometime you have to listen to cooler heads.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Alex is an Auburn man. Period. I've never known of one who could get the Auburn slant out of his writing. My God, at one time, the newspaper had Philip Marshall assigned as our beat writer! The agencies, including ESPN, hire these guys in part because they can be depended on to ding Bama and accumulate hits, which is what this thread is doing for them. He would have a lot more material over at Auburn, but that's not where they'd assign him. Saban is battling the exact same societal demons all other HCs are these days. He's not especially lenient - at all! But, as said above, if he cuts the ties finally, then the chorus from across the state is that he's culling the roster. I've had enough of this and this article is just garbage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.