News Article: Time for Saban to send message to players

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It may be time, I'm not sure. Maybe one meeting laying down the law that if "it" happens again - regardless - the offender will be gone.

While Saban is certainly not immune from issues, I think that with the exception of the four guys robbing last year he's had a pretty good time of it compared to some of his post-Bryant predecessors.

And this is a completely different time than anyone had before with social media controlling the spin before the coach even knows sometimes.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Does anyone seriously think Coach hasn't already sent that message, and reissues it on a periodic basis? With some 120 (+/-) players associated with the team simple statistics practically guarantee there will be a few incidents from time to time. Sounds like a trolling journalist to me, especially when his bio line includes: graduate of Auburn U.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Does anyone seriously think Coach hasn't already sent that message, and reissues it on a periodic basis? With some 120 (+/-) players associated with the team simple statistics practically guarantee there will be a few incidents from time to time. Sounds like a trolling journalist to me, especially when his bio line includes: graduate of Auburn U.
Apparently the message isn't getting thru to some, and it begs the issue of why is it needed at the oncoming of an important opportunity, in the upcoming season for the team. Also Scarborough gives the best coverage for Bama of anyone including Chris, in fact he heads up Bama Nation ESPN and insiders, his bona fides are OK concerning Bama coverage.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yep. Alabama has two players arrested in a month (but the entire offseason), so it's time for CNS to talk to the players.

Seems like Scarborough is using some keywords, such as "Saban," "Alabama," and "college football" to get some clicks. This isn't uncommon for any school. He's only singling Alabama out in order to get clicks.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys, Have you noticed with the exception of Drake and Lee, Most players get the message the first time? Reed will be the one with harsh punishment. Look for him to be suspended indefinitely for a while. I think Saban has to do the same for Drake to send message at same time. One slip ups and theyre gone.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Also Scarborough gives the best coverage for Bama of anyone including Chris, in fact he heads up Bama Nation ESPN and insiders, his bona fides are OK concerning Bama coverage.
Then I'd say he has gone from reporting to meddling. There was no news in his 'article.'

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Does anyone seriously think Saban needs any advice from some hack? If the Alabama name has been dragged through the mud it's by the media. Coach Saban and Alabama have dominated college football for over half a decade and it's not going to be over anytime soon. I have no doubt Coach will handle things as he always does.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Y'all give it a rest - Scarborough cut his teeth at the Tuscaloosa News...he's not a "hack" unless that's your standard definition for any writer, in which case - how mature of you.

I don't agree with him, by the way, but geez.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Y'all give it a rest - Scarborough cut his teeth at the Tuscaloosa News...he's not a "hack" unless that's your standard definition for any writer, in which case - how mature of you.

Every case is different as far as leniency is concerned. I neither agreed with him or not agreed, I just thought it was a legitimate question, that really can't be easily answered. Of all the journalists that I post articles from, he is one of the fairest to Bama.

Coach Saban's response:

“We are disappointed in Jarran’s actions and this is obviously not the kind of behavior we expect from our players,” coach Nick Saban said in a released statement. “It is a privilege to represent the University of Alabama and there are responsibilities that go along with that privilege. We’ll evaluate the situation and determine the appropriate discipline so better choices and decisions can be made in the future.”

Last edited:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I'll have to somewhat agree that a strong message needs to be sent. CNS has done an exceptional job of keeping kids in line in his time @ UofA but if the perception gets started that one player can do things and get away with it then so can I and pretty soon you've got enough bad apples in a program to cause problems.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Save the lecture for your students. My opinion is as good as yours.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
This is a load of garbage! Quote from the the article, "That time is now for Saban and Alabama. Leniency can no longer be afforded. Decisive, heavy-handed action is needed. The season is almost here, and every player and every coach must get the message loud and clear that mistakes will no longer be tolerated."

No forgiveness? What does the Bible say? Matthew 18:22 - "Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

I will let you all look it up or wait for an expert to chime in! ;)

Mistakes will no longer be tolerated huh? Let that be their reward! ;)

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
This is a load of garbage! Quote from the the article, "That time is now for Saban and Alabama. Leniency can no longer be afforded. Decisive, heavy-handed action is needed. The season is almost here, and every player and every coach must get the message loud and clear that mistakes will no longer be tolerated."

No forgiveness? What does the Bible say? Matthew 18:22 - "Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

I will let you all look it up or wait for an expert to chime in! ;)

Mistakes will no longer be tolerated huh? Let that be their reward! ;)
So, you let a murderer kill 27 people? If you're going to quote the BIBLE then please quote it within context. Also, the BIBLE is full of judgement against those who could/would not follow the rules/direction.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hmm. Selena Roberts has that same byline.

Are we going to toss out her pointing out all the corruption over there, too?

And btw, he's listed as an "Alabama reporter."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This one is heading to Non-Sports if the compass is not inverted and fast.

I'm monitoring it, and about ready to close it.

(Note: I'm not a mod, that's a message from kyallie)

Last edited:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Bottom line is, let's not do for our players what we accuse other fan bases of doing for theirs. Let's not diminish these acts just because these players are talented and on our roster and not someone elses.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think you have to handle each case separately, depending on the circumstances, and discipline accordingly.
You can't kick "the next guy who screws up" off the team simply because he was the next guy to screw up.
Emotionally, the first reaction by many fans and journalists is, "This has to stop", but in this culture of today, it's not going to.
Coach Saban has handled these scenarios pretty darn well and I trust that he'll handle this one as well.
sip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.